Cell Phone Bullshit

emyndemynd 830 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
So, I'm on AT&T Wireless but the bastards merged with Cingular recently. My AT&T phone broke the other day and is all fucked up and I want a new one but they're literally impossible to find in most real life stores because, as I said, AT&T and Cingular merged. That means that all Cingular stores only sell Cingular phones and thus it seems I have to resort to EBAY or something to cop a used AT&T phone.Does anyone know where I can cop an AT&T phone? Are these "unlocked" jawns reliable? Can I just go to Chinatown or something and find some shady Arabs to sell me an "unlocked" phone that I can just stuff my SIM card into and BLAM, I'm up and running? What's the deal? Somebody help me, please!(BTW, I'm Arab, so let's not make this a big discussion about me calling some Arabs shady)-e

Comments

• yeah I need to know the same thing. I am with Suncom and my Motorola flip phone is a piece of shit(cuts off ALL the time). Whats the deal with buying different phone and just adding my current SIM card to it. Is it that easy? Also..I have a hookup on Blackberrys,Sidekicks,etc for pretty cheap..could I put my SIM card in that?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i have cingular, and maybe this was just me, but i had a motorolla that broke about a month ago, and i went out and bought a new phone, popped the SIM card in the new one and it worked like a charm, no other set ups required... id try that out first, you can always just return the phone if it doesnt work.

also, if your phone is still under warranty (usually one year) you can try calling them, they may be able to ship you a new one, and you just ship your unusable phone back.

hope any of that helped..

• i have cingular, and maybe this was just me, but i had a motorolla that broke about a month ago, and i went out and bought a new phone, popped the SIM card in the new one and it worked like a charm, no other set ups required... id try that out first, you can always just return the phone if it doesnt work.

also, if your phone is still under warranty (usually one year) you can try calling them, they may be able to ship you a new one, and you just ship your unusable phone back.

the new phone you went out and bought..was it from a retailer? or a hookup or ebay or something? I have pretty good hookup on all the new hot phones and shit..but I dont want to end up spending a few hundred on it and it not working. I know buying phones retail is usually overpriced as fuck. Anyone ever buy a phone off of ebay and trade sim cards and it work fine?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i have cingular, and maybe this was just me, but i had a motorolla that broke about a month ago, and i went out and bought a new phone, popped the SIM card in the new one and it worked like a charm, no other set ups required... id try that out first, you can always just return the phone if it doesnt work.

the new phone you went out and bought..was it from a retailer? or a hookup or ebay or something? I have pretty good hookup on all the new hot phones and shit..but I dont want to end up spending a few hundred on it and it not working. I know buying phones retail is usually overpriced as fuck. Anyone ever buy a phone off of ebay and trade sim cards and it work fine?

i have a friend that works at best buy, and i hit up that discount...

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    let me know if the unlocked phone thing works. i have a phone from the ice age that i want to upgrade but ever since at&t merged with cingular i don't how the hell to do this. i don't even think my phone is new enough to have a sim card actually.

check out how current i am. damn thing isn't even capable of vibration alert:

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    let me know if the unlocked phone thing works. i have a phone from the ice age that i want to upgrade but ever since at&t merged with cingular i don't how the hell to do this. i don't even think my phone is new enough to have a sim card actually.

check out how current i am. damn thing isn't even capable of vibration alert:

Yeah you're probably still on TDMA or some shit. That means you're on some old network and that means you don't have a Sim Card and oyu aren't on the GSM network. You should think about upgrading to GSM because the signal is waaaaaaaay better. I got no service in my house on that old ISDM shit but then i got the GSM shit and I'm fine... that is, until my phone went kaput. If you're with AT&T though you're going to have a lot of trouble getting a new GSM account without switching to Cingular. I'm on some weird AT&T family plan with my sister and pops and when we tried to upgrade my phone from TDMA to GSM over Christmas, the folks at Cingular did literally everything in their power to try to switch us over to Cingular. Shit was a fucking nightmare. So, basically, if you're going to want to upgrade phones (which I totally recommend), you're gonna have to switch to Cingular.

In short, the "unlocked phone" thing will do you no good... at least as I understand it.

That AT&T/Cingular merger was such a fucking nightmare for all AT&T users.

-e

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    yeah i think you are right about the old network thing. however, my signal is excellent. i've had no problems with dropped calls at all but my boyfriend who just switched to a newer fancy model has to stand in his kitchen if he wants to talk without dropping.

i can't really upgrade my network either because i am on a shared family plan. is every cell phone plan a 2 year contract or something? i want to find a 1-year one...are those hard to come across? i don't know anything about cell phones.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    im on telus and i have no plan whatsoever.. its all month to month...