Serrrato: Macbook or Powerbook?

ootoot 38 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
This laptop will be primarily used for Serrrato and that is all. I just want the thing to run proper and not crash. What suggest ye? Thanks,-Stink

Comments

• DJ_ZestDJ_Zest 252 Posts
    If you mean MacBook vs. MacBook Pro, either will run microwave just fine, the black MacBooks have 120GB HD stock, as well as the MacBook Pro 15". You can build-to-order with larger drives if you need to, or run from an external firewire hard drive... If you are not in a huge rush, you might want to wait a little while, there are rumors flying about new MacBook models coming really soon... Also if you can find a good deal on Powerbook G4, go for it, you can always upgrade the HD cheap...

Peace
    Zeb

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    If you mean MacBook vs. MacBook Pro, either will run microwave just fine, the black MacBooks have 120GB HD stock, as well as the MacBook Pro 15". You can build-to-order with larger drives if you need to, or run from an external firewire hard drive... If you are not in a huge rush, you might want to wait a little while, there are rumors flying about new MacBook models coming really soon... Also if you can find a good deal on Powerbook G4, go for it, you can always upgrade the HD cheap...

Peace
    Zeb

I love my macbook pro, this shit is a beast. whats the rumors about new models?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Go for a macbook of some sort. future versions of the software might not be supported on old versions of osx

Well right now all the distributors are out of MacBooks, leading us to think update as soon as tomorrow, don't think we'll see updates on MacBook Pros for a little while yet...
    Our guess is an upgrade to the new Intel Santa Rosa chipset...
    Also I doubt that microwave/Apple will stop supporting PPC (G4/G5) chips any time soon... There is still a LOT of them out there...
    Peace
    Zeb

• rfbutterrfbutter 49 Posts
    Well right now all the distributors are out of MacBooks, leading us to think update as soon as tomorrow, don't think we'll see updates on MacBook Pros for a little while yet...

Also I doubt that microwave/Apple will stop supporting PPC (G4/G5) chips any time soon... There is still a LOT of them out there...
    Peace
    Zeb

Recently picked up a powerbook for Microwave and pro tools. 15" screen, 1.5 Ghz processor, 1 gb ram, 80 gb hard drive and a superdrive for $850 shipped. It's been rock solid, I've used it for multiple gigs, some in the three hour range without any sort of issue.

Peace
    Zeb

Recently picked up a powerbook for Microwave and pro tools. 15" screen, 1.5 Ghz processor, 1 gb ram, 80 gb hard drive and a superdrive for $850 shipped. It's been rock solid, I've used it for multiple gigs, some in the three hour range without any sort of issue.

That was a pretty good deal! I copped a 12" PowerBook a couple years back for $200! I upgraded it myself with bigger HD, more RAM, wireless etc, that was a hell of a deal and I love the small form factor...
    They did update the MacBooks this morning, nothing major, just more RAM/faster processor/bigger hard drives across the board...
    Peace
    Zeb