Japanese Hip Hop Forums & Music Discussion

soulmakossasoulmakossa 24 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
Just checking to see if anybody here knows of any good ones, like Soul Strut. I have a strong appreciation of Japanese people if been fortunate to meet throughout life or read about (Muro) who've put me on to some rare hip hop, or other forms of music (jazz, rock, soul, etc.). I already have a bunch of record stores of Japan bookmarked which I've learned alot from also, like Soundtable, so I was looking to go further with finding some forums that discuss the music.and here's a taping of Marley Marl & Pete Rock's Future Flavors show, an episode where the Beatnuts were guests back in 1997:powered by ODEO

Comments

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Definetly check for DJ Mitsu. He's done a solo album, a shit-load of remixes and does beats for Gaggle. I guess right now he's like the Madlib or Jay Dilla of Japan. Jazzy sport is his label/crew and some of those guys have some interesting things too (Groveman Spot Remix of Martian Gang's "Skillz Galore")

I really can't mess with Japan rap if there aren't instrumentals or have english emcees over it. sorry.

and AYB Force are dope as well. Some of their productions are real nice and there mix-cd's are always good and consistent.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Jazzy sport is his label/crew

I was just listening to this Jazzy Sport album today.

SG

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

and AYB Force are dope as well. Some of their productions are real nice and there mix-cd's are always good and consistent.

Cosine that. They've put out some nice mid-tempo cut-n-paste style 12"s too.

And I always got a kick out of the AWB take-off. Clever.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I really can't mess with Japan rap if there aren't instrumentals or have english emcees over it. sorry.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Mitsu, Cro-magnon, Raythought it a fucking must, grooveman spot, cro-magnon, cro-magnon. Listen to cro-magnon. I didnt spend 35 dollars on an lp that came out in 06 for nothing.

That's language....um, -ist. If you don't know what people are saying, it can detract from ones enjoyment, no?

• Ok, thanks so far for the naming of groups I should check for. I heard a collabo Kanye recently did with some Japanese MC's that I liked alot, he produced and rhymed on it.

I was hoping to find actual forums people might know of from over in Japan where those artists music was discussed and other music, like breaks and samples, rare hip hop pressings, like how Soul Strut or Record Kingz forum usually does. Anybody know some?

Expect a super special AYB Force Mix-Cd soon

oh, and though this a japan only release and has some japaneese dialogue in it check shinsight trio's "shadow night, blurry moon". Though the producer is american, it has a serious japaneese jazz influence because if you havent noticed, a lot of japaneese hip-hop has a very prominent jazz fusion aspect to most of it. Its an essential album for you to have. You need it in your life. If you want it, i can link you up.

I wasn't feeling the Shinsight Trio LP at all, one track was cool but overall .

but yo, The Nujabes have some instrumental tracks out that are really good.

The album isnt for everyone, if its not your thing your not gunnna digg it. If you the type of production the dude does then you will be in hayven. Depends on the person. And on Nujabes. Also, try to download some "samurai champloo" songs from the show. Nujabes and bunch of japaneese underground beatmakers did a lot of hot schitt for the show. And no, its not your typical anime. Its a samurai show that has a serious hip-hop influence. You need to check out the songs, seriously.

and this is why soulstrut is the greatest intarweb site ever made.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    There are only a few forums that I know of that discuss Japanese hip hop or japanese music but you can check out Jpopmusic's "Urban Music" forum for some downloads and check out Culture Universal as well for some background info on Japanese hip hop (they're forums are pretty dead though, unfortunately).

PM me if there's something in particular you're interested in regarding Japanese hip hop or Japanese music in general. There are also some other cats on here into this -- paging DJ Sheep, Aser, Funky_Mimizu..

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    I don't mean to hijack this thread

but besides Japan who's had a long history of hiphop in Asia, new comers like Korea and even Mainland China is catching on. Korea without a doubt has seen some very decent hiphop releases since around 1999...China is tripping me out with the quality of hiphop coming out of Guangzhou and Shanghai!

i'm gonna try upload some real soon.

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    what's the verdict on these guys: http://youtube.com/watch?v=8rszo4XLqRo
    I like the beat and the video just makes them look like some kind of crazy japanese wu-tang, but i haven't been exposed to enough japanese hip-hop to tell if this is the cream of the crop or the bottom of the barrel as far as the genre goes.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Nitro Microphone Underground were(/are?) a supergroup not unlike Wu-Tang. The members are Bigzam, XBS, S-Word, Macka-Chin, Gore-Tex, Deli, Dabo and Suiken. All have launched succesful solo careers, some more succesful than others. They're personally not my cup of tea but they were very popular and have quite a following.

Here's another dilly from the same era. Lamp Eye's "Shougen".

• djJazzOnedjJazzOne 302 Posts
    I have a Nitro Microphone Underground CD. It was given to my by this cat York Ono. He is a bmx flatland pro. I was covering a contest. We traded some music. He also gave me a mini-disc of Japanese Dancehall-ish stuff.

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    i'm listening to the super smoky soul album the whole day. great.

and of course jazzy sport is a dope label. grooveman spot, cro-magnon, dj mitsu, gagle...all got some heat on their records...

Let's not forget Subcontact, who released two 7"s by our man DJ Day. Although I don't know if that qualifies as Japanese. It's a Japanese label anyway.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

asiaitc kufi laps

not a fan of the cro-magnon album, and the grooveman spot was a huge dissapointment.

The group Kanye worked w/ is M-Flo, decidedly pop but I'm a fan of theirs. Their new album came out a month and a half ago, I'm quite enjoying it. Another group I like is Rip Slyme, Mitsu did a rmx for them too.

Gagle's recent album, Big Bang Theory, is probably the best of the bunch. There is an instrumental album out for those that can't stand the Japanese mc'ing. Personally I think MC Hunger has charisma for days. Their two tracks on the otherwise doo doo jazzysport comp is very dope.

Don't just look at hiphop, Japan's new music scene is very interesting. There are a plethora of artists I find intersting.

Orange Pekoe
    Bird
    Beret
    Jazztronik
    Sleepwalker
    Soil & Pimp Sessions
    Izanami
    Sunaga T Experience
    Hajime Yoshizawa
    Wyolica