Gene Farris Appreciation (House Related)

white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
I've been going through a lot of my dance records the past few days, and have digging all the Gene Farris shit. For those of you who may not be familiar, Gene was somewhat of a lesser-known player in the so-called Second Wave of Chicago House DJs, which included dudes like Derrick Carter and Mark Farina. Farris sort of bridged the gap between Chicago house and Detroit techno: harder, spacier tracks still with a disco samples thrown in for good measure. This dude would fit in well the Detroit's Three Chairs crew, who I know gets a lot of love around here. Personally, I think of lot of the "disco filter" stuff from mid- to late-'90s sounds dated as a mug now, but Farris' stuff holds up very well. Some of his stuff is peak-time style some of it is very late-night dubbish shit. If anyone is interested I can get around to posting up some of his stuff in the next few days.Nice LP:

Comments

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    yes yes! He puts ona great show. I havent seen him in almost 4-5 years. He is definately a great representation of chicago house dj's. When I saw him he was wearing some shades and he looked like some alien vs. predator schitt with his thick long dreads.

I beleive he is on Ferriswheel, his own label

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

Yeah, I have two releases on Ferris Wheel, both of which I got from Hot Jams. Speaking of which, I haven't been there for a while.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

Yeah, I have two releases on Ferris Wheel, both of which I got from Hot Jams. Speaking of which, I haven't been there for a while.

I heard it closed down. I believe that maybe it is just online. I as well am a myspace friend of Hot Jams (geeeking out). I know that Dre is no longer an owner, which is pretty sad. He was really great. If I asked him for anything (house, disco, etc) he would go nuts and play as many records for me as loud as he could bouncing around! I miss him dearly.

Pulaski is a kind of scary street for a white girl like me to be walking around.

You in Chicago? I heard of a spot that is pretty dope. Ill PM you the name.
    However, knowing you nerds, you prolly already know about it!

They just moved. Not sure of the ownership, have a few funny stories regarding that one too (LOL). The new Hot Jams is maybe 46th and Pulaski on the west side of the street. Small storefront maybe a mile south of the I-55 exit, still possibly walking distance from the Orange Line stop.

• UnDos3UnDos3 81 Posts
    catching Farris, Doc Martin and Stacey Pullen back in '00 got me into house music for a while but I've lost interest in most of the music out now. Doc Martin is probabbly one of the few dj's I check for.
    please to post Gene's - visions of the future...can't remember the name of the remix but its one of the more disco-oriented ones he put out. thanks in advance.

I heard of a spot that is pretty dope. Ill PM you the name.

I tried to respond but your PM box was full.

Those guys might have a table at the record show Sunday in Summit.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I agree with you with the house music now a days. Too many sub genres and trendy.

Doc Martin mixes were always pleasurable. I love when he dropped "Lovely Day" and "Days Like This". Beautiful.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I heard of a spot that is pretty dope. Ill PM you the name.

I tried to respond but your PM box was full.

Those guys might have a table at the record show Sunday in Summit.

cleaned and still haven't recieved it.