USPS Postage Price Increase Question

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
Can a more clued in homie give me the Cliffs Notes version of the new International Mailing Schematics?No more surface just International Priority and Express?Anyone know what the price will be to ship 1 record?My auctions are ending on the day the postage price goes up and I'm kinda shook that my current rates are way off and that I will loose $100.Thanks!

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    We've been discussing this for a week+ on the Waxidermy forum and all anyone is sure of is that no one is sure of anything. Will media mail still exist? Will it cost $20 to send one lp airmail? I WANT ANSWERS!

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    on the 14th, usps.com will have everything updated and you'll be able to get costs before you let people know what's up (and that's assuming you don't just do the ebay checkout)

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    We've been discussing this for a week+ on the Waxidermy forum and all anyone is sure of is that no one is sure of anything. Will media mail still exists? Will it cost $20 to send one lp airmail? I WANT ANSWERS!

WELL.. THERE'S A CHART ON USPS.COM That anything under a pound International Priority will cost $16! $3 more than my air mail rate. Tis means that I'm gonna eat some cash this time around if so.

http://www.usps.com/ratecase/intlrates/imm_rates.1.4.html

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    on the 14th, usps.com will CRASH!

I think it's going to suck. I have stuff ending today, and I know I'm going to have slackers that are going to wait till after Monday... I did put a little disclaimer in my auction about this, but still... it's gonna be a pain in the ass. That pamphlet is pretty cryptic.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    The lady at my post office told me, and i am quoting fully here, "You work with us and we'll work with you."

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The lady at my post office told me, and i am quoting fully here, "You work with us and we'll work with you."

I'm going to start using that other post office.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Between this and Ebay/Paypal fees, selling is starting to become not worth the trouble for us occasional, non-bigwig sellers.

wow

So the lady at the Post Office told me that International Priority Mail (the equivalent of Air Letter Post) will start at $16 up to a pound. Ouch! So I'm looking at raising my rates $5 for one record overseas. This seriously sucks ass. How do you foreign folks feel about this? Hopefully this dollar gets weaker.

So the lady at the Post Office told me that International Priority Mail (the equivalent of Air Letter Post) will start at $16 up to a pound. Ouch! So I'm looking at raising my rates $5 for one record overseas. This seriously sucks ass. How do you foreign folks feel about this? Hopefully this dollar gets weaker.

So a record (boxed) is usually what... 1.3 to 1.5 lbs?

crap.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I was under the impression that Air Letter Post
    will still exist, so that you don't have to use
    International Priority.

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    How do you foreign folks feel about this? Hopefully this dollar gets weaker.

We'll still be getting serious bargains, just not quite so much. You might find your low-priced other items, get snapped up to offset the increased postage on the item we really want. Somehow the logic of spending MORE money to save on postage seems to sucker me time and time again.

crap.

There are going to be some ANGRY muthafuckaz come May 14th both sellers and buyers.

I was under the impression that Air Letter Post
    will still exist, so that you don't have to use
    International Priority.

I think Air Letter is gone.

any definitive word on media mail?

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    This them?

http://www.usps.com/ratecase/

http://pe.usps.com/RateCase2007/DMM300_HTML/ratesandfees2.htm

http://www.usps.com/ratecase/intlrates/welcome.htm

So is First-Class Mail International the new Airmail?
    Which Rate Groups are which countries?
    What the hell's going on?

• How much did you guys pay to ship 1 record abroad before ?

When was the last time usps raised their prices?

Is the difference really that big?

(then again, I used to get 2 CD's shipped from dustygroove to holland for just $7-8, I think)

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts

What the hell is a "Rate Group"??

Exactly.

I'm assuming it a predefined collection of countries though I'll be damned if I can find a map and/or breakdown of 'em.
    I remember in my FedEx dossier they had the same system but it was all spelled out.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

crap.

16-20 oz is right for one 12" or LP, 2 inserts, and a mailer. Air letter post to Europe at that weight is $10.40. Can anyone surmise what this same weight will cost under the new system?

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Between this and Ebay/Paypal fees, selling is starting to become not worth the trouble for us occasional, non-bigwig sellers.

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    Currently one seller is charging me $14.25 for airmail from US to Europe for one 7".

Another seller is charging me $12.50 airmail US to Europe for one 7".

Are they ripping me?

I e-mailed them to ask if those prices could be right as I never pay more than $5-$8 for one 7" but none of them are answering.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Currently one seller is charging me $14.25 for airmail from US to Europe for one 7".

Another seller is charging me $12.50 airmail US to Europe for one 7".

Are they ripping me?

Pretty much, or they're taking a I>Handling/I> fee to a whole 'nother level.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    I charge $12.00 for an album and $6.00 for a 45. I try to make my dough on the RECORDS.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    I charge $12.00 for an album and $6.00 for a 45. I try to make my dough on the RECORDS.

It's people like you who are ruining the game for all of us.

(btw- Best Avatar EVAR)

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    shit I have 60 auctions ending tommorow, this is a pain in the ass

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I found these but if anybody wants to corroborate, please do:
    TABLE BORDER="1" CELLSPACING="0" CELLPADDING="2">
    TR>
    TD ALIGN="LEFT" VALIGN="TOP" ID="rategroup1">

Rate Group 1
    /TD>
    TD ALIGN="LEFT" VALIGN="TOP" ID="rategroup2">
    Rate Group 2
    /TD>
    TD ALIGN="LEFT" VALIGN="TOP" ID="rategroup3">
    Rate Group 3
    /TD>
    TD ALIGN="LEFT" VALIGN="TOP" ID="rategroup4">
    Rate Group 4
    /TD>
    TD ALIGN="LEFT" VALIGN="TOP" ID="rategroup5">
    Rate Group 5

/TD>
    /TR>
    TR>
    TD ALIGN="LEFT" VALIGN="TOP" HEADERS="rategroup1">
    Canada
    /TD>
    TD ALIGN="LEFT" VALIGN="TOP" HEADERS="rategroup2">
    Mexico
    /TD>
    TD ALIGN="LEFT" VALIGN="TOP" HEADERS="rategroup3">
    AndorraBR>
    BelgiumBR>
    DenmarkBR>

Faroe IslandsBR>
    FinlandBR>
    FranceBR>
    GermanyBR>
    GibraltarBR>
    Great BritainBR>
    GreeceBR>
    GreenlandBR>
    IcelandBR>

IrelandBR>
    IsraelBR>
    ItalyBR>
    LiechtensteinBR>
    LuxembourgBR>
    NetherlandsBR>
    NorwayBR>
    PortugalBR>
    San MarinoBR>

SpainBR>
    SwedenBR>
    SwitzerlandBR>
    Vatican City

/TD>
    TD ALIGN="LEFT" VALIGN="TOP" HEADERS="rategroup4">
    AustraliaBR>
    JapanBR>
    New Zealand

/TD>

TD ALIGN="LEFT" VALIGN="TOP" HEADERS="rategroup5">
    All other destination countries and territorial
    possessions that are referenced in the
    Individual Country Listings.
    /TD>
    /TR>
    /TABLE>

OK, so assuming First-Class Mail International is the new Airmail a 20oz LP shipped to the UK would be $12.00.
    So it's really not a big deal.
    A seller would have to up shipping costs roughly a dollar or two.
    ...but if you have to ship and LP sized package at any of the other rates

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Vatican City

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Vatican City

It's like its own country. True story.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Vatican City

That new Pope's been hounding me for Bob Azzam breaks for I>months/I>!