CLICK OF DEATH

BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
The Iomega Zip drive (100MB external, SCSI) I've been using since 1998 just recently died. I am using the drive in combination with an Akai S3000XL sampler, which is a rackmount hardware device. After hearing the infamous 'click of death' I unplugged the drive and bought a replacement off eBay (Iomega no longer manufacturers external SCSI zip drives). I hooked the replacement drive up--insuring my SCSI ID and Termination settings on the replacement drive match those of the dead drive--and the sampler keeps saying "HARD DISK ERROR."I've double-checked the SCSI settings in the Global section, rebooted the sampler, referred to the manual, checked the internet, etc.It's been 9 years since I originally hooked up the first Zip drive, so I could be forgetting something, but I am stumped.Any ideas?

Comments

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    Bam

don't put anymore zips in as they will be ruined
    go here for scsi drives that work

http://www.scsiforsamplers.com/all_products.asp?CR-2

i did three from ebay on the cheap -none of them worked right and i got the same error mess

sorry to hear about your loss
    there was an extensive thread on this when whats his name ?from dilated peoples or is it P.U.T.S? went thru this maybe 6-8 months ago
    the bottom line is the dudes at iomega should be tortured to death
    there was a class action suit filed
    i think some people got a check for 8 bucks
    suckage CUNT scukage
    L13

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Yes, Thes One had an informative discussion about the click of death and trying to find a suitable media card drive. Basically you don't want a drive with moving parts, because they are more likely to fail. I think you may actually have a bit harder time because you have the rack mount model. I'm not saying this is the definitive info source, but scsiforsamplers.com (where I got my scsi card reader) has a compatibility chart and it looks like yours is only compatibile with cd roms and hard drives.

http://scsiforsamplers.com/compchart.asp#akai

Like mentioned above, don't put other disks in the drive. The idea is that the moving metal can nick the drive and then when it spins it will nick any disk you put in there.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Thanks for the information. I realize what's happening, the danger that the 'click' presents to my current stored media, and how limited my options are. What I don't understand is why the sampler won't recognize the replacement drive.

What's up with that?

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    Hey Bam, it is possible that the scsi fuse blew out during drive replacement. Though rare, it can happen when switching drives on a 3000.

THES ONE -> PUTS

Hey Bam, it is possible that the scsi fuse blew out during drive replacement. Though rare, it can happen when switching drives on a 3000.

Meaning there's an internal SCSI fuse in the S3000?

Thanks Thes.

yeah, i can't remember the voltage or fuse size but i blew it on accident on my mpc3000 once before by hot switching the drives while it was on. If you feel comfortable, you might want to open it up and check around the inside back of the connector for a small slo-blo style fuse or some other sort of fusing that may prevent it from recognizing the drive. good luck, keep us posted

Ahh, okay. This makes sense. I kept the sampler on after I heard the click because I had a bunch of unsaved material. When I got the new one, I hotswapped, which is probably when I blew the fuse.

After some nosing around I found this:

http://akaiscsifaq.digidude.net/

I'll open it up and look around. I need to rewire a bunch of shit in my rack anyway, so I guess this is a good excuse. (I guess I know what I am doing all day tomorrow!?)

• dextahdextah 77 Posts
    this is to all that use samplers with outdated storage options...

you guys ever feel like makin the move to software? i never fucked with zips cuz the click of death (yes i am crazy for using floppies...6 disks to a beat one time...god forbid i mislabel a disk). sure i could use my mpc as a midi controller or main sequencer or whatever...but then i bought a 1000 dollar midi controller..ya know....maybe i should look into the smart card option

good luck, keep us posted

I brewed a pot of coffee, pulled the sampler out of the rack, took it apart (the SCSI PC board is underneath the PC board for the 8-out, stereo I/O board, of course, so you have to peel that back) and found the fuse.

After some more searching, I found this ingenious dude who modded his S3000XL with replaceable a 1 amp fuse via a socket on the back panel:

http://www.pimpsten.se/pictures/s3000xl/s3000xl.htm

This is the route I am gonna take.

word!