Croatia

roistoroisto 879 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Hey all, I'm traveling to Croatia (Zagreb first, then Dubrovnik) for two weeks next Sunday. Any tips for places to see, restaurants, clubs, etc? Any record spots worth checking out?

Comments

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Thank you Fatback for the tip!

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Holler at mim (boardname). He doesn't post a lot. But he did recently in the shirt thread. A good dude. He's your soulstrut key to Croatia right now.

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    My friend Steve did an intense Croatian roadtrip this past summer, driving there from Prague. His friend took a lot of pictures and they are on the internet somewhere. Get at him if you'd like, tell him Schnipper gave him your name - [email]vegansteven@hotmail.com[/email]

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    On our taxicab trip out of Chicago to O'Hare, the eastern european driver was playing all sorts of interesting tunes on his iPod for us, including some Serbian hiphop that was pretty banging. He told me the lyrics were a young guy and his father arguing about how the young dude was dating a Croatian girl. Anybody up on Serbian hiphop?

• autezautez 404 Posts
    i went there last summer. my friend has a house on one of the islands (solta). i was chilling in split for a lot of the time too. i guess the islands are the hot spots around there so try to go island hopping if possible. hella tourists go to one island called hvar. you can take a boat there for really cheap. lots of night life on that island but people wait to go to out to the clubs really late (like 1am), and just party all night. its kind of weird. i dont know about records in croatia though. i'll try to get some more info from a friend.

try to go to a hajduk soccer game though if theyre playing. im not really into soccer, but it was fun. people throwing flares onto the field and singing throughout the whole thing. people get crazy. i saw some little kid slam his fist on the hood of some italian guy's car hella hard on the way to the game.. i'll try to find the video i took of it.

• spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts
    i went through croatia a few years back...

cant tell you much about records... i went on the off season too so there wasn't much of a night-life.. went out one night to find something and walked into the only place i could find and regretted it, but like others say people go there to party..i was talking to a kid who kept telling me about big trance clubs that started up in the summer but didnt know much else..

if you are taking a bus between zagreb and dubrovnik, you can stop in split, your bus will anyway i think its something like a 11 hr bus ride down the coast.. in split you can see the diocletian palace a third century roman palace.. probably one of the most important building in croatia from an architectural standpoint... walk on the walls of the old city in dubrovnik. the views are spectacular. i went to the beach on one side of the old city too... nothing more beautiful than the blue sea, white sand and medival walls of the city to look at. there are islands of different sizes all over the place...i got stuck on one overnight because i missed the boat back to dubrovnik.. i loved walking around the old city, everything is bleached white from exposure to the sun and sea. zagreb was cool too there are a few important modern buildings from the 20's and 30's there.. you might research how long or difficult it would be to get to sarajevo..the birthplace of world war i. you can stand where prncip stood when he shot the archduke francis ferdinand.. you can walk along snipers alley and still probably see some buildings in pieces... the turkish quarter is beautiful, and you can walk into the hills above the old town and listen to the call to prayer echo out over the whole town from different mosques.. when i was there the town was still coming out of its shell, it was great to see everyone come out in the evenings to walk through the old city.. there was a jazz club not far from the turkish quarter that was pretty good a few nights, and real low key and mellow a few others...

have fun, be safe.

• mimmim 44 Posts
    hi

hell i live in Zagreb. i'll be glad to assist you, gotta have the inside man everywhere you go.
    there were soulstrutters coming here before, i even once posted a detailed recordshop guide of zagreb here, but too bad there's no large archive of posts.. it's lost now i think. i have no time to type it in right now but feel free to pm me when you arrive. i'll help you out,, records, restaurants, guns, cars, drugs, museums... we got it!

and i even won't pick the shops clean for you:)

you won't find crazy recordz gallore here but you might get lucky. and i'll tip you to some native stuff.. have a safe trip.

i haven't been shopping myself here for some time now, being unemployed and so, but today fish were biting, picked up some two Urbaniaks, the Animated Egg, Hell Preachers inc. (!?), a Michel Magne OST, and the nice one: archie shep, karin krog and somebody else playing the Ljubljana Jazz Festival LP... gotta check those out soon so i'm rushing off.

• mimmim 44 Posts
    On our taxicab trip out of Chicago to O'Hare, the eastern european driver was playing all sorts of interesting tunes on his iPod for us, including some Serbian hiphop that was pretty banging. He told me the lyrics were a young guy and his father arguing about how the young dude was dating a Croatian girl. Anybody up on Serbian hiphop?

Marcello is the guy that gets respect over there..

but most of it is in my humble opinion, like on croatian scene, just mediocre. but things are starting to look better.. i cant really say about guys from Serbia, but the local guys doing hip hop here (and it's a similar situation) which i know personally are just show-offs, uneducated, or just plain stupid people so i don't trust them as 'music makers'.. some of them go to turbo-folk clubs (local equivalent of american prototype white trash country pitholes) and act gangsta in 50cent t-shirts while being photographed for paparazzi newspaper.. funny to look at but kinda makes me not want to buy their work. their lyrics also suck but you luckilly wouldn't understand them.

those Blackout guys did make some fat ass beats in their time though...

there's a band called Elemental, they're becoming big here right now, have a talented femme emcee, Remi, great rhymes, but i'm not sure i like the trend of hip hop groups switching to live band backup.. good for mainstream acceptance but in the end it still sounds like a bunch of solid but still blue eyed studio musicians trying to get down funky.. still, people love that. hm.