New Jeruz Heads!!! What's Up?

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
Hey,Rutgers University's School of Management and Labor Relations are interested in me for an Associate Prof. of Human Resource Management spot. I think a campus visit may be soon forthcoming. Some of y'all know my place woes (i.e., I hate Milwaukee), so what's good in Piscataway/New Brunswick and surrounding suburban areas? Also, how are Black folks doing up there? It seems like there is a sizable middle-class Black contingent up there, relative to Milwaukee, anyway? How do you like living there? Are the housing prices impossible, which is the common belief about the Northeast from the outside? Any insight would be useful. Good lookin'...Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• DustbusterDustbuster 278 Posts
    I went to Rutgers and I love the school. Piscataway is the better of the two cities, as there is a big chunk of New Brunswick that is run down and pretty ghetto. There are many large black communities, both in New B and neighboring Edison, and it's nice (not like parts of Jersey City, Passaic, Paterson, East Orange, and Newark).

I live in northern NJ (Jersey City) and that is the area where the housing prices skyrocket. New Bruns is not as expensive, but it's by no means cheap. It's about 45 minutes away from NY on the Turnpike and close to the Parkway for the summer when you feel like going to the shore. If you have a family, the surrounding towns and villages would be pretty cozy. It's not expensive as certain parts of Jersey (particularly Montclair, Berkely Heights, Short Hills) but it is a similar quality of life. And since New B is in Central NJ, It wouldn't be all too difficult to commute to from Northern and South West NJ if you feel like the suburbs aren't for you.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    arnt you a psych student stacks?

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

I live in northern NJ (Jersey City) and that is the area where the housing prices skyrocket.

I remember seeing houses for sale in that area (Closter) for $500,000 that would go for about $200,000 max in Denver. Shit's bananas out there.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    Stacks,

NJ will be a major upgrade than Milwaukee. Rutgers and the surrounding areas are fairly chill, nice selection of cultures and the most compelling cavet is you're 45 minutes from EVERYTHING you could possibly want to do in NYC, not to mention an hour or so from Philly.

good luck!
    Georges

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Guys,

Thanks for the tips (and The Non on the PM tip). I gotta admit, Florida State is my favorite of the contenders, but we'll see what happens. I visit Tallahassee this Thursday through Saturday. I think Tally will provide a slower, easier pace and better quality-of-life than the Big East (and more affordable housing too). But, beyond just place, I gotta make sure the business is on-point, or no deal. It'll be interesting to see what results from the visit.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    arnt you a psych student stacks?

Nope, I'm a business professor.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    my mistake. i thought i remembered you saying you got published in a major psych journal. i must have things mixed up.
    good luck on the potential move.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    Stacks,

Wouldn't you think Tally would be a lateral move in terms of quality of life???

g

• DIGGADIGGADIGGADIGGA 456 Posts
    everything in newark is under construction!??!there even turning the projects into condos

Stacks,

Wouldn't you think Tally would be a lateral move in terms of quality of life???

g

Hey G,

Actually, our folks do quite well down there. Also, T**i has family in nearby Quincy (and surrounding areas), suggesting a ready-made social network. The pace of life down South is slower and less frantic, which is really what I want these days. Also, they have FAMU down there and a rather large Black middle class contingent (around 25% according to Census estimates), and good job growth. Thus, Tallahassee is more prosperous than Milwaukee, as their relative crime statistics suggest. New Brunswick has some gully crime stats, while Piscataway did fairly well. The latter seems like it's rather "high brow" socioeconomically, which beats the hell outta Milwaukee (and hence my interest in Rutgers in addition to its high academic standards). You can get your life snatched here, on some random "caught in the cross-fire" bullshit, even out in the 'burbs (but less so than in the "hood"). The violent crime is fanning out to the burbs here, adding more impetus for wanting to bounce.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    everything in newark is under construction!??!there even turning the projects into condos

They are doing that in my neighborhood in Denver, and it's not turning out so well, the yuppies mixed with the crackheads/dealers mixed with the eastside g's is kinda ugly. And i'm caught in the middle. Gentrification is not pretty.

Hey,

The department head of Human Resource Management from Rutgers extended an invitation for a campus visit. Not sure on the date yet, as they will try to schedule the visit before Florida State's (hiring) decision frame (if they in fact make an offer). I told him I'll inquire about when FSU might make a decision and let him know. I would like to get a sense of both campuses before making a decision. That said, any of you New Jeruz heads have some suggestions for cool places to check out while on the visit? The chair said he'd be glad to bring fly T**i and I there, so be sure to suggest some nice spots to take my lady. Thanks, y'all.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak