DJ's, are yall still playing rap in the club?

2»

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I'm trying to find a playlist from my local rap radio exp. but am struggling. Needless to say rap is still popular club music in these parts. the internet, tho, is still incomplete in its attempts to catalog all aspects of life.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I'm trying to find a playlist from my local rap radio exp. but am struggling. Needless to say rap is still popular club music in these parts. the internet, tho, is still incomplete in its attempts to catalog all aspects of life.

Could you also weigh in on your local "tiesto type party" experience, as referred to above?

Thanks in advance.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Is soulstrut actually asking for yet another Texas rap post?

Mexican rap.

I looked Saturday and all I had was the Spanish versions of Cyprus Hill's hits lp and a few Delinquent Habits 12s.

No "La Raza?"

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Could you also weigh in on your local "tiesto type party" experience, as referred to above?

Thanks in advance.

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
    I think its fun to throw in themes to mix it up.. I have been planing this TV Theme night for a while now.. just waiting to drop it at this new spot I might be doing..

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    I think its fun to throw in themes to mix it up.. I have been planing this TV Theme night for a while now.. just waiting to drop it at this new spot I might be doing..

which ones? i drove through nyc about four years ago and one of the mixshow djs played 30 minutes straight of old tv themes. i was laughin my ass off at some of the sh*t this dude was pulling out (pre-Microwave too).

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts

which ones? i drove through nyc about four years ago and one of the mixshow djs played 30 minutes straight of old tv themes. i was laughin my ass off at some of the sh*t this dude was pulling out (pre-Microwave too).

ding ding

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

When the tv show was hot, I was doing this Bobby vs. Whitney theme, people loved that shit!

It also reminded everyone of how talented they used to be.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I've heard from several locals that clubowners are trying to force rap music out of their venues

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    I've heard from several locals that clubowners are trying to force rap music out of their venues

that's happening here (chicago) too. in fact one part of town that's seen it's share of long running hiphop nights is switching over to house/club and rock joints.

one of the many downsides to gentrification...

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

that's happening here (chicago) too. in fact one part of town that's seen it's share of long running hiphop nights is switching over to house/club and rock joints.

yeah. "we dont want to scare the white people..."

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

this is the kind of shit im talking about. So yall can clown all you want, but that shit is happening.

• I just came back from a week in Thailand and the clubs in Bangkok is on some microwave hip hop club banger for real. I thought I still followed hip hop but I didnt knew any of the songs played there except for the occansional Dre instrumental with some idiot saying.. on top of it.

People didnt dance or anything. They just get themselves a table and buy bottles. I have never seen anything like that. Everybody were buying bottles. And people were wearing bandanas and doing cripwalk all over the place. Bangkok is down with the LA Gangs...

Dress

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

this is the kind of shit im talking about. So yall can clown all you want, but that shit is happening.

no, you are right. It is too bad.

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts

This is true, but I also feel like it's nothing new. At some point during almost every gig I've ever had or gone after I've had to have "the rap talk" with the owner/promoter. The talk where euphemisms like "ghetto" and "gangster" are used in abundance. Seriously, if you feel like the only thing separating your club from a violent outburst is a single 50 Cent song, you've probably got bigger fish to fry than the DJ's choice in music.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    it's nothing new.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    it's nothing new.

It's gone on since the dawn of hip-hop, then for a few years in the 2000's models and fashionistas decided they liked it, more white people liked it too and you couldn't go to any club without hearing it all night, now whitey has grown tired of it and wants to hear less of it.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

where are you talking about? WP? I haven't been to D'vine in awhile, that place still plays hip-hop/dancehall shit regularly right?

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

where are you talking about? WP? I haven't been to D'vine in awhile, that place still plays hip-hop/dancehall shit regularly right?

yeah WP specifically. trevia is now on some club/house shit, subt (where i had a 7 year hiphop weekend) has decided to go for that 'rock' money (and has failed miserably), azuli is now a crappy sports bar, red dog shut down last year due to gunfights and stabbings, and reopened as a mega-club for yuppies on X, and the note has reverted to jukebox mode after shon dervis' hiphop nite's got outta control with gunplay & the ill vibe.

overall, based on my experience with these owners, is that they're not against hiphop as a genre, they just don't like a grip of thugs mad dogging on the wall all night. and i'd have to agree, that shit's not condusive to a packed dancefloor. but more importantly, the owners are businessmen first, music afficionados second (or third or fourth or fifth) so when they see their rings go down, they immediately look at the music... even if the place is packed, if the ring is coming up short, the dj always gets called out.

ex: back when i first started at subt, it was a corny yuppie sports bar, so all we played was 70s and 80s. the place was packed and they were ringing 4g's on average. fast forward a few years, and the place is still packed but we were spinning commercial rap/classics, chicago house, and funk classics. the ring drops to about 2500, and it's hiphop fault.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

yeah WP specifically. trevia is now on some club/house shit, subt (where i had a 7 year hiphop weekend) has decided to go for that 'rock' money (and has failed miserably), azuli is now a crappy sports bar, red dog shut down last year due to gunfights and stabbings, and reopened as a mega-club for yuppies on X, and the note has reverted to jukebox mode after shon dervis' hiphop nite's got outta control with gunplay & the ill vibe.

overall, based on my experience with these owners, is that they're not against hiphop as a genre, they just don't like a grip of thugs mad dogging on the wall all night. and i'd have to agree, that shit's not condusive to a packed dancefloor. but more importantly, the owners are businessmen first, music afficionados second (or third or fourth or fifth) so when they see their rings go down, they immediately look at the music... even if the place is packed, if the ring is coming up short, the dj always gets called out.

ex: back when i first started at subt, it was a corny yuppie sports bar, so all we played was 70s and 80s. the place was packed and they were ringing 4g's on average. fast forward a few years, and the place is still packed but we were spinning commercial rap/classics, chicago house, and funk classics. the ring drops to about 2500, and it's hiphop fault.
    haha yeah i think i started going out and caught the tail end subt's rap moment. I went to one rock night and haven't gone back - shit was empty! plus you know fuck rock music. haha

i went to ohm, yeah it is kind of a Local Tiesto Experience now but I did see farley jackmaster funk there on mlk day which you can't be mad about ... once in awhile they have some good things come through.

what do you think of betty's blue star? they still play hip-hop and juke shit as far as i know. out of the way for sure though.

what i like about d'vine is its a bit more upscale without turning cheesy, and whenever i've gone the dj's have been cold. i'm not so big on a $20 cover tho which they tried to charge last time i was there. its an excuse to get dressed up which is nice, and i'm less worried about folks spilling beer on my shoes

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

what i like about d'vine is its a bit more upscale without turning cheesy, and whenever i've gone the dj's have been cold. i'm not so big on a $20 cover tho which they tried to charge last time i was there. its an excuse to get dressed up which is nice, and i'm less worried about folks spilling beer on my shoes

yeah d'vine has kept it going w/o any trouble (guns, etc..) i actually suggested to subt's owner, back when hiphop starting becoming an issue with him and when they redesigned the interior, that they up the cover charge.. but yeah, keeping hiphop in steady rotation takes a cool hand owner as well as commitment to keeping things 'grown'..

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    trew are you still djing out somewhere? what places do you like at the moment

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    trew are you still djing out somewhere? what places do you like at the moment

we just moved our thursday weekly from the elbo room down to buddha lounge's new offshoot bar, butterfly social club. we spin new funk, old funk, soul, afrobeat, underground/progressive rap, and the occasional 'world' funk set..

shameless:

but really, many of the 'old guard' chicago djs have sorta quieted down.. rude 1 moved to nyc, dervis has been busy with his band, tone b & 33 1/3 still rock sets though... i'm not really to keen on 'places' but moreso 'djs..' one dude to follow wherever he spins is DJ Intel. also Maker when he's not touring with Glue. and of course yours truly..

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    it's nothing new.

yep. and the recent barrage of hip-hop influenced pop songs just make it a whole lot easier for club owners to want to cut back on that scary rap music.

Even though there are some club owners that are doing this for a reason some are doing it for the safety of their customers and staff. It's a thin line though. While one would prefer the crowd to be lilly white, thus providing this strange sense of safety and $$$$, the later could care less if the whole crowd was full of black and brown folks as long as there wasn't any fights happening.

For the record: I've seen more fights at clubs/bars involing white people than anything else. I've also seen more black folks at the "upscale" spots than at clubs where the majority of music is hip-hop.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    buddha lounge

I have played there a few times and always enjoyed myself. Trew, Im in debt for not seeing you yet. I need to support a fella strutter for sure. Im excited to finally check out this "offshoot bar of the buddha lounge".

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    buddha lounge

I have played there a few times and always enjoyed myself. Trew, Im in debt for not seeing you yet. I need to support a fella strutter for sure. Im excited to finally check out this "offshoot bar of the buddha lounge".

werd? which nite? i've got a few buddies who are residents over there. mark my words: the vibe at buddha will be changing come summer. if you can make it up, the first tequila shots are on me!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    buddha lounge

werd? which nite? i've got a few buddies who are residents over there. mark my words: the vibe at buddha will be changing come summer. if you can make it up, the first tequila shots are on me!

a few months back. It was always a good turn out. Seems like the reggie-tron was always the big steez there. Of course I was playing house. The good stuff, of course!

I only drink patron, btw. Holla!

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

Even though there are some club owners that are doing this for a reason some are doing it for the safety of their customers and staff.

All of them are doing it for money reasons. Clubs/bars/lounges know what type of crowd is gonna bring in the most money. If they think their crowd doesn't want hip hop, that is a valid reason. However, there are plenty of spots where the clientele wants to hear rap, but the owners are afraid that it will bring in a black crowd...which will in turn, drive away their white crowd.

What is interesting is that the real upscale spots are almost exclusively hiring hip hop djs (who play all genres). For that reason, I have found that it is a lot easier for hip hop djs to get gigs now, than it was 5-10 years ago, when every high end club would only hire house djs. This trend has slowly hit philly, but i remember going to south beach about 6 years ago and at every "exclusive" spot we went to, there was a dj playing almost exclusively hip hop/80s/not house.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

All of them are doing it for money reasons.

Ultimately I guess it is for the money, but I can name one large/popular club here in S.F. a large number of it's clientelle is black folks. Really, it would be stupid if they where going in that direction (I don't they ever will). Not only would it be wrong and corny but it would kill the clubs buisness. My point is again, they just don't fights breaking out no matter what.

But yo, What about clubs where the security guards are fucking assholes and cause most if not all the fights?