MASS JAZZ UNDERGROUND!

ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
edited May 2007 in Announcements
ReRelease is the first and only online label that works directly with the artists to re-release their music. The artists receive the majority of profits while retaining rights to their music. The first three releases on the new digital label ReRelease are coming out soon. They comprise a series on Massachusetts jazz music called "MASS JAZZ UNDERGROUND" (no cool graphic produced yet). The albums in this series have few commonalities, other than their black & white budget covers and how they paint a sophisticated picture of jazz music in the state. You should be able to buy them through iTunes or rhapsody in early July. Website (www.rerelease.net) will go live by end of this month. Price per album will be between 7 and 10 dollars for a high-quality (pro recorded/processed, 320k, non-DRM) copy. More info and publicity (with much better writing) is on the way. More info at: realityunit.blogspot.com. Arni Cheatham - "THING" (Inner View) Elysian Spring - "Elysian Spring" (Despa) Mark Harvey - "Mark Harvey Group" & "Mark Harvey and Friends" (Bush)

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Any chance of these albums being released as lossless files? Is this something you're doing? I definitely would like to know more. Inform.

EDIT: Perhaps if I went to the link and read the blog entry, I would be more informed.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Any chance of these albums being released as lossless files? Is this something you're doing? I definitely would like to know more. Inform.

EDIT: Perhaps if I went to the link and read the blog entry, I would be more informed.

Hehe...

I confess not to know much about lossless audio. We are relying on established distributors such as iTunes/rhapsody etc. so if it doesn't fit in with their model, the answer is not now but perhaps later if people would really like to see them.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

Hehe...

I confess not to know much about lossless audio. We are relying on established distributors such as iTunes/rhapsody etc. so if it doesn't fit in with their model, the answer is not now but perhaps later if people would really like to see them.

Sonar Kollektiv (Jazzanova's label) now distributes lossless audio, in the FLAC format, through their website, where one can either download a song individually, or as a complete album. I tried this once and it worked out great. I paid via PayPal, was given an exclusive URL to download from, and in a few minutes I got the track I wanted. It is something to consider, and while interest in FLAC or other lossless files is relatively small compared to MP3's, you're also targeting an audience who arguably cares about jazz a bit more than the casual fan. Regardless if you're remastering them from vinyl or the actual master tapes, people do want quality. I do like the fact that as MP3's, they will be encoded at 320kbps, so for those who prefer MP3's, they're getting the best there is, and that will definitely spread via word of mouth.