MMA - Rampage - Lidell

33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
No one is posting about this yet?My money is on Rampage.Check thearticle

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i dont know shit about no mma stuff but entourage's past episode with lidell in it was pretty hilarious

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    May 26 homie. The real MMA headz check in to the MMA thread about a week before a big fight. Will a Pride fighter finally win a match against UFC's best?
    Or will Rampage get knocked the fuck out? I just don't know.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    BUMP.

I am geeked for the fight. I am currently rocking a Rampage tee shirt at work.

who y'all got? I REAAAAALLLLY want to see a Rampage victory but I haven't been too impressed with dude since like, what, '03-'04? he's a beast, but chuck's at the top of his game right now...I may throw some dough on Rampage just on the strength of his Jesus game....

below is an article in today's times featuring a comment about USA Wrestling. could mean some really good things. that is the organization that works with all the various equivalent governing bodies in other countries to coordinate wrestling for the olympics. this means that they will be lobbying the IOC for inclusion into the olympics. submission wrestling in the olympics!! that would be sick, cause then mma would just be the next step.........

May 25, 2007
    From the Edge of Madness to Fighting???s Mainstream [/b]
    By RICHARD SANDOMIR
    Mixed martial arts was, in its recent outlaw years, the criminal element of sports, called ???human cockfighting??? by Senator John McCain and written into legal exile in New York by a stroke of former Gov. George E. Pataki???s pen.

Oh, how M.M.A. (as the sport is known) has changed from its roots ??? without state regulation and many protections against serious injuries.

Its success, usually viewed through the prism of the hypermarketed Ultimate Fighting Championship, has been building for years. But in the past few months, M.M.A. has catapulted into the mainstream. It is forging an identity distinct from the more venerable combat sport of boxing ??? or, M.M.A.???s leaders argue, nudging the sweet science further into the sports periphery.

The U.F.C. is Sports Illustrated???s cover story this week, and its premier star, Chuck Liddell, was the cuddly cover boy (holding his 8-year-old son) recently for ESPN the Magazine. ???60 Minutes??? has done a story about the sport, and ESPN.com promotes sherdog.com, a mixed martial arts Web site.

One of M.M.A.???s newcomers, the International Fight League, has one new alliance with USA Wrestling and another one with the U.S.O., which this week allowed seven of its fighters to sail aboard Navy ships from Norfolk, Va., to Manhattan and Staten Island with 3,500 sailors for Fleet Week.

All this appears to be the multichapter prologue to tomorrow night???s Liddell-Quinton Jackson light heavyweight championship match in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, where a capacity crowd of 13,318 was announced yesterday, with gate receipts of $4.4 million anticipated.

But to Dana White, the high-energy, combustible president of the U.F.C., the fact that major news media organizations are now recognizing M.M.A.???s appeal is merely symptomatic of their previous ignorance.

???No disrespect to the media, but this has been the hottest thing for 18-to-34 males for the past few years,??? he said. ???The media franchises are supposed to have their finger on the pulse of things, but they???ve been way behind here.???

Even as the U.F.C. has been building up Liddell-Jackson as a grudge match, the playwright and director David Mamet has been filming his mixed martial arts movie, ???Redbelt,??? in Los Angeles. Studying jiujitsu for the past five years prompted him to create a story about a master of Brazilian jiujitsu who, instead of teaching fighters to grapple inside a U.F.C.-like octagon fence, instructs police officers, stuntmen, bouncers and Special Forces soldiers.

???I???ve become fascinated by the art and science of jiujitsu and the death of boxing,??? Mamet said. ???Anybody who???s observed it for several years knows that boxing is over and it???s time to be replaced.???

Boxing???s demise has long been predicted, and yet it has survived as a niche sport that occasionally leaps into the mainstream with a major bout. And while boxing is easy to find on cable TV, so are a raft of M.M.A. groups, not all of which are likely to endure through an eventual shakeout.

The U.F.C. is on Spike, with a menu of matches and star-molding reality series; the I.F.L. is on MyNetworkTV and Fox Sports Net (which has invested $6 million in the publicly traded company); World Extreme Cagefighting (part of the company that owns U.F.C.) and Chuck Norris???s World Combat League are on Versus; and Pro Elite???s Xtreme Combat is seen on Showtime.

According to Spike, its fight between Tito Ortiz and Ken Shamrock last October attracted 4.3 million viewers, 800,000 more than saw Winky Wright fight Jermain Taylor four months earlier on HBO.

???What we???ve done is give back to the audience the ability to create stars, and that???s what boxing is missing,??? said Kevin Kay, Spike???s general manager.

HBO is negotiating to carry U.F.C. events, which would coexist with its boxing. Ross Greenburg, the president of HBO Sports, said: ???Their demo will feed off ours. It couldn???t be further from the truth that we???re looking at the U.F.C. as a replacement for our boxing franchise. We couldn???t be more than pleased with the state of boxing on HBO.???

The U.F.C. stands up well against boxing where boxing is strongest: pay-per-view sales. In 2006, the research firm SNL Kagan reported, the highest-grossing event was the Oscar De La Hoya-Ricardo Mayorga boxing match with $46.2 million in revenues from 925,000 buys. UFC 66, between Liddell and Ortiz on Dec. 30, generated 1.05 million buys, but with a lower consumer price grossed $41.9 million. The U.F.C. totaled $205 million from pay-per-view in 2006, Kagan estimated, better than HBO???s gross of $177 million.

It is not fully known whether groups like the U.F.C., I.F.L., Bodog, Pride (recently bought by U.F.C.) and many others are wresting boxing fans via pay-per-view, cable TV or the broadcast networks; taking young males away from other sports; or creating a new category of thrill-seeking fans. But the sight of brawny men in various weight classes wearing small gloves and engaged in a few rounds of boxing, jiujitsu, wrestling, judo, karate, kickboxing, kung fu and taekwondo is evidently appealing to arenas packed with screaming fans.

Gareb Shamus, the chief executive of the I.F.L., said that the sport was capitalizing on a tidal wave of devotees who ???played video games, took martial arts classes, grew up on the W.W.E. and is looking for the next action sport.???

He added, ???Our fights only average six and a half minutes each, so you???re not making fans sit around through 12 rounds waiting for a final event.???

But the sport would still be on the fringes of propriety if it had not embraced the regulation that has curtailed its bloodiest excesses. Twenty-three states and the District of Columbia sanction matches, but the New York State Legislature would have to repeal the 1997 law signed by Pataki in order to regulate it. Lobbying of the state will not begin until July, but White, the president of U.F.C., said, ???Look at our track record, and I don???t see how you cannot sanction us.???

Shamus said, ???The perception might be that anything goes, but the reality is you???re not punching a guy 300 times in his head until his brain swells.???

Tiger Schulmann, who owns a chain of gyms that has shifted from a single devotion to karate to a full embrace of mixed marital arts, said that he was astonished at how the unification of various disciplines had built a sport.

???The kids I see now are going to take this to a higher level,??? said Schulmann, who co-owns one M.M.A. group, Ring of Combat, and is in talks to coach a team in the year-old World Combat League. ???We???ll see stars with boxing skills like Mayweather???s and the skills of the best grapplers.???

It's about execution. Lidell obviously wants to be standing up. Rampage is gonna try to take him down.

I think it comes down to conditioning and who comes wit it.

I say Lidell's gonna catch him with a side step counterpunch. And go on a "rampage".

And go on a "rampage".

yeah I love his little white power dance he does when he wins. my respect for Liddel is only grudging. I wish Rampage could do it but I have doubts.

• FunkyFlatulentFunkyFlatulent 1,106 Posts
    Aww man I thought us MMA heads were tight? Now I have to give a big screw you to you guys????/

Lidell ALL DAY! Yes Rampage is good but how can you want him to win? First Lidell gassed in Pride, no more of that ten minute crap. Second Rampage took him down at the ropes. None of that BS in the cage. Third this is a different Chuck. Actually I'm just a Chuck fan so nothing really matters I'm just picking him.

The only thing is all these recent upsets. Yikes. .. Chuck is gonna put an end to that. Chuck by breaking Rampages face in the second.

WAR CHUCK!!!!!!!!!!!! screw you guys I'm going home.

how can you want him to win?

dude for the same reason you want white power chuck to win. I'm a fan(boy) straight up.

you have to understand dude came into MMA with only the most minmal wrestling background and was killing it within a couple months. I loved his KOTC bout against the beastman Eastman, despite the loss. I think the two Wandy fights were classics. I loved the old Pride pre-fight interviews he used to do; dude was hilarious. he represents Memphis (not sure why I included that fact). he made a documentary about homeless people. he's recently found the power of the Lord. and his Pride vinyl collectable doll was by far the dopest one.

First Lidell gassed in Pride, no more of that ten minute crap. Second Rampage took him down at the ropes. None of that BS in the cage. Third this is a different Chuck. Actually I'm just a Chuck fan so nothing really matters I'm just picking him.

^^^yeah I don't dispute any of this. but it has nothing to do with who I want to win. I hope Rampage beats him up.

and yes I hope we MMA heads can one day see past our differences and come together in the spirit of brotherly love.

how can you want him to win?

dude for the same reason you want white power chuck to win. I'm a fan(boy) straight up.

you have to understand dude came into MMA with only the most minmal wrestling background and was killing it within a couple months. I loved his KOTC bout against the beastman Eastman, despite the loss. I think the two Wandy fights were classics. I loved the old Pride pre-fight interviews he used to do; dude was hilarious. he represents Memphis (not sure why I included that fact). he made a documentary about homeless people. he's recently found the power of the Lord. and his Pride vinyl collectable doll was by far the dopest one.

First Lidell gassed in Pride, no more of that ten minute crap. Second Rampage took him down at the ropes. None of that BS in the cage. Third this is a different Chuck. Actually I'm just a Chuck fan so nothing really matters I'm just picking him.

^^^yeah I don't dispute any of this. but it has nothing to do with who I want to win. I hope Rampage beats him up.

and yes I hope we MMA heads can one day see past our differences and come together in the spirit of brotherly love.

errrr... can't you just want him to beat everyone but Chuck?

GET YOUR TESTOSTERONE LEVELS UP. SHIT IS ABOUT TO GO DOWN.

LET US DO THIS

!
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !

It's Official: 2007 - YEAR OF THE UPSET.

FUCK RAMPAGE. I FEEL LIKE I'M WATCHING THE WARRIORS BEAT THE MAVS. THAT SHIT WAS MAD GAY. HE WINS A BELT AFTER 2 BOUTS IN UFC. WTF?

YEAR OF THE UPSETS CONTINUE........

Dan Henderson > Wanderlei > Rampage

This one punch KO shit is getting old. I wanna see a grind-it-out fight. I don't like the Octagon....

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    lollololol daaaammmnn lidell got knocked the FUCK OUT!!!!

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMNNNN

- spidey

As much as i hate sherdog the amount of dissrespect being shown to Chuck is rediculous. I can't make an excuse though he got beat fair and square. I thought it was a good stoppage. He'll be back. The Henderson fight will be very interesting.

I'm bummed...no bullshitting.

WAR CHUCK!

FUCK RAMPAGE. .

I FEEL LIKE I'M WATCHING THE WARRIORS BEAT THE MAVS.

damn right son. may that memory be seered in your brain for years to come. I hope the Ws victory pops in your head when you're eating cereal in the morning too. and I hope it's the last thing you think about before your mom tucks your pretty ass in at night.

THAT SHIT WAS MAD GAY. HE WINS A BELT AFTER 2 BOUTS IN UFC. WTF?

dude has been grinding since you were nursing youngin.

I wanna see a grind-it-out fight.

I will PM you next time Matt Lindland fights.

PS YOUR BOY BET ON RAMPAGE.

FUCK RAMPAGE. .

I FEEL LIKE I'M WATCHING THE WARRIORS BEAT THE MAVS.

damn right son. may that memory be seered in your brain for years to come. I hope the Ws victory pops in your head when you're eating cereal in the morning too. and I hope it's the last thing you think about before your mom tucks your pretty ass in at night.

THAT SHIT WAS MAD GAY. HE WINS A BELT AFTER 2 BOUTS IN UFC. WTF?

dude has been grinding since you were nursing youngin.

I wanna see a grind-it-out fight.

I will PM you next time Matt Lindland fights.

PS YOUR BOY BET ON RAMPAGE.

Yea, but the point is the Warriors and Rampage collectively suck.
    Rampage = fake-ass champion. Dan Henderson, Wanderlei, or Shogun. Any of those guys will kick his ass (Notice, I'm talking like a UFC fan now.)

Matt who???! lol Oh yea that dude that got submitted by Fedor at Bodog.

Who the hell is "my boY"?

Yea, I'm mad doggie! I was just starting to become a fan of Chuck's. He doesn't talk a lot, does coke, got an unorthodox game, but he seems like a good dude. I can dig that.

yuichi I am sorry we were all spared the sight of chuck's ridiculous white power dance he does at the end of his fights.

I am laughing all the way to the credit union tonight.

rampage is a G.

I made $$$ tonight.

PS YES DRUNK DOGGGIE.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    FUCK RAMPAGE. I FEEL LIKE I'M WATCHING THE WARRIORS BEAT THE MAVS. THAT SHIT WAS MAD GAY. HE WINS A BELT AFTER 2 BOUTS IN UFC. WTF?

This one punch KO shit is getting old. I wanna see a grind-it-out fight. I don't like the Octagon....

Sorry get the fuck outta here with that bullshit...

Rampage was going to take it no matter what, Lidell is weaksauce and has been. he couldn't survive in Pride which is why he went back to UFC, AFTER RAMPAGE Handed his ass to him. Once again Rampage destroyed "the Ice man"... I can not believe people are calling this an upset AFTER Rampage had already beaten him before. Whitefolks are mad salty about this hahaha.

Sorry get the fuck outta here with that bullshit...

Rampage was going to take it no matter what, Lidell is weaksauce and has been. he couldn't survive in Pride which is why he went back to UFC, AFTER RAMPAGE Handed his ass to him. Once again Rampage destroyed "the Ice man"... I can not believe people are calling this an upset AFTER Rampage had already beaten him before. Whitefolks are mad salty about this hahaha.

I never hated Rampage, it's just I hate all the people that are suddenly Rampage fans.

MMA fans are so not loyal. I will stick with the big guns, Fedor and Shogun. If either loses in what's anticipated as the "Superbowl of MMA", I will cry.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    YuYu,

No one here is suddenly a Rampage fan. I've been watching him fight since Kobe still had his Nutella sponsorship. And he took it to Chuck for the second time on Saturday, proving that his '03 victory was no fluke.

And FunkyFlats, please miss me with your claim that 10-minute round is bullshit. I have nothing against Chuck, but give it up for Jackson, already.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    YuYu,

No one here is suddenly a Rampage fan. I've been watching him fight since Kobe still had his Nutella sponsorship. And he took it to Chuck for the second time on Saturday, proving that his '03 victory was no fluke.

And FunkyFlats, please miss me with your claim that 10-minute round is bullshit. I have nothing against Chuck, but give it up for Jackson, already.

co-sign... Thank R*ss... and Shogun will most likely beatdown Rampage if and when they fight.

YuYu,

co-sign... Thank R*ss... and Shogun will most likely beatdown Rampage if and when they fight.

Shogun is pound-for-pound one of the best right now.

I mean you look at his last 10 fights....very impressive....
    Mauricio Shogun Rua

Jackson's rib cage was apparently broken in this match

• dmadma 36 Posts
    YuYu,

Double co-sign. PRIDE has been around for 10 years, even though most people have never heard of it. And Quinton Jackson was a HUGE part of it for many years. He deserved the belt he won the other night.

And yes, more ass-kickings will take place as more Pride fighters enter the UFC, Shogun is absolutely one of them.

shogun's great but I miss his brother ninja. dude had a great attitude and confessed to liking lionel richie in one of the pre-fights. plus ninja vs. arona in '02 is one of my top five MMA fights of all time. and the sperry-ninja one that preceded it. I miss that era.

• dj_netadj_neta 166 Posts
    submission wrestling in the olympics!! that would be sick, cause then mma would just be the next step.........

Saw this during the broadcast. Perhaps there's no need for the Olympics to legitimize MMA. SI has that covered:

• rocco2nrrocco2nr 530 Posts
    yuichi I am sorry we were all spared the sight of chuck's ridiculous white power dance he does at the end of his fights.

I am laughing all the way to the credit union tonight.

rampage is a G.

I made $$$ tonight.

"white power dance"?

even though dude lives in the same town as me, i was rooting for rampage. that said, i've run into him several times and he's a really nice guy and despite his fresh-out-of-jail appearance there is definitely nothing "white power" about him.