Providence, Rhode Island...anything?

PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
My wife is getting sent to Providence for business on monday and tuesday. Any strutters have any info on this wonderful city. You know the usual questions. Records? Good places to eat? Areas worth checking? I have a buddy who lives not too far away so I'll be asking him as well, but I'd thought I would throw it out there...Thanks

Comments

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    My wife is getting sent to Providence for business on monday and tuesday. Any strutters have any info on this wonderful city. You know the usual questions. Records? Good places to eat? Areas worth checking? I have a buddy who lives not too far away so I'll be asking him as well, but I'd thought I would throw it out there...Thanks

theres this place in Kingston i think. near Junkyard Dogs. i have pulled a few good pieces from there. not a huge Prov fan but im sure youll find something.

• As I'm living in Provodence at present:

Records:
    [*]Round Again on Wickendon St. The owner Steve is cool. Hit or miss though.
    [*]Luke's Record Exchange, Pawtuckett. Classic. Tons of unorganized records, 80's rock memorabilia, dust, smells, odd characters and the owner's personal drama played out in front of anyone in the store. If you have a portable, a few hours and no mildew allergies you can find some shiz in the basement.
    [*]What Cheer Antiques, Wayland Sq. Don't let the name fool you.

Food:
    [*] Pretty good selection of $ to $$ eats on Thayer St, near Brown.
    [*] Two Words: Wes' Ribhouse.
    [*] Atwells Ave. Six blocks of $$ to $$$$ Italian restaurants.
    [*] They pour a good pint at The Wild Colonial.

Areas worth checking:
    [*] There is this big, blue bug on top of a building near I95.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    I'm from Providence and the record spots are pretty ehh. There'll be a record show at AS2200 from time to time but what is mentioned above is pretty much it except for Tom's Tracks on Thayer St by Brown. Some ok stuff, although I've pulled some nice pieces from there.

But as far as food goes, there isn't a better place in the country besides NYC for italian. Better than Boston's North End (I lived there for 4 1/2 years), is Federal Hill.
    Venda Market is fanstastic (a market place, but tables in the back. Salvatore the chef is the man), as is Alforno (not technically on the hill and $$$), Capriccio's (pretty $$ though), The Old Cantine, Angelo's (simple italian and cheap) and Casa Christine's which is not pricey at all and fantastic, although the lady that runs the place is the most stubborn woman ever and has ridiculous hours - but sooooo worth it.
    An excellent desert place and also on the hill is Pastiche.
    For an amazing steak go to Providence Prime (much better than Capital Grill or just about anywhere for that matter). Next door is a nice seafood spot called the Oyster Bar.
    If you're eating you NEED to be on Federal Hill or it's been a wasted trip.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    thanks!!!!!!