Giant Steps Records out of Philly

FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
OK, one for the Philadelphia people maybe...I can't find a thing about the Giant Step jazz label other than one a 1972 LP I picked called "Introducing George Freeman with Charlie Earland Sitting In". No personnel listed but it's produced by local figure Gus 'Mr Silks' Lacy, if that means something to you...Nice funky, R'n'B tinged jazz album from Freeman, brother of Von Freeman and uncle to Chico. Back cover carries the immortal line: "...Not long afterwards, George tried marriage, but it was not a successful venture, so he hit the road with tenorist Sid Austin and Jackie Wilson."If you've got any insights on the record or the label it's appreciated as always.thanksFlomotion

Comments

• I have an LP by Sonny Hopson on that label. Features the legendary Philly DJ crooning with the backing of Charlie Earland.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    All the ones I've seen on that label are those two. Good soul-jazz tunes, poorly recorded, but not that funky... I mean it's not bad but don't expect "the bump" part II.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I have an LP by Sonny Hopson on that label. Features the legendary Philly DJ crooning with the backing of Charlie Earland.

Did you find that in Jersey or across the river (Delaware River)?

• I have an LP by Sonny Hopson on that label. Features the legendary Philly DJ crooning with the backing of Charlie Earland.

In PA at a record show (Allentown)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I have an LP by Sonny Hopson on that label. Features the legendary Philly DJ crooning with the backing of Charlie Earland.

What's up with "From the Shit House to the White House??"

Is that an alternate name for the album, a Sonny comedy routine, a track?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

In PA at a record show (Allentown)
    Figures..Eastern PA seems to have better records than South Jersey.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Good soul-jazz tunes, poorly recorded, but not that funky... I mean it's not bad but don't expect "the bump" part II.

You got it. Nice, but no scorcher although the version of Let It Be is kind of out there. From what I read I think Giant Step may have been owned by Gus Lacy, the producer of those LPs, and maybe Sonny Hopson too. Not sure what the tie-in was with Lacy, Freeman and Earland but it's possible that he represesnted them ...he was clearly a mover and shaker in the Philly music scene at one time. Here's something I found on Lacy:

Kendall Wilson

Philadelphia Tribune, The

05-19-1995

Gus Lacy, former owner of `Mr. Silk's,' dies.

Gus Lacy, a colorful businessman, civic leader and political activist, whose "Mr. Silk's Third Base" was the centerpiece of West Philadelphia's famous nightlife "strip," died Wednesday evening at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.

Mr. Lacy, who had been ailing in recent months, had returned to the hospital on Sunday, slipping into a coma early in the week. He was in his late 60s.

He also owned and operated a number of other enterprises through the years, several with his late friend, Stanley Branche and with current partner, Sonny Hopson.

He would make it known to the curious that his wife since 1947, Virginia, was the principal stock-holder "and principal officer and principal everything else" in his business dominion, which also included real estate, public relations and promotion and personal management ...