Favourite Blue Note

2»

Comments

• Manduro3000Manduro3000 265 Posts
    This one does it for me...

Runner ups...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    OG copy of this (and the money jungle, actually)

I want to clear something up - I know I've asked this before but might as well confirm. What is the true original version of Money Jungle? The Solid State release with the illustrated cover or the Blue Note with the photograph cover? Didn't blue note swallow up SS and if so, would that mean the SS version of Money Jungle is actually the original? Every time I search for pics or see people post pics of Money Jungle, it's always the photo cover on blue note, I never see the illustrated Solid State cover.
    I think I remember we came to the opinion that the SS is OG & BN is later.

No.

The original issue is on United Artists Jazz. It has the cover posted in this thread. That is the one I have. Incredible album.

The 2nd issue is on Solid State, with the blue/green cover.

Later reissues were released on Blue Note because Blue Note was acquired by UA in the mid-70s.

• cheebahazecheebahaze 235 Posts

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Maiden Voyage
    Soul Station
    Blue Train
    Places & Spaces
    G.G Alive
    Green Is Beautiful
    The Scene Changes

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    The discography up to about 1975.

press to narrow...

The 1500s are the REAL schitt.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

The first Blue Note album that I found.
    I need clean copy of this, BTW.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Out to Lunch is probably my #1 favorite jazz album ever, regardless of label.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    It's a toss up for me between

and

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

I got that lp from my Dad's collection. He always tells this same story of him and his friend seeing her in Harlem one night back in 1974 or so and being blown away by the performance. He tells that and his early NJ era Kool and the Gang stories to all my digging friends.

I got that lp from my Dad's collection. He always tells this same story of him and his friend seeing her in Harlem one night back in 1974 or so and being blown away by the performance. He tells that and his early NJ era Kool and the Gang stories to all my digging friends.
    Cool story.

My brother found this in my granddad's record collection about 11 years ago.
    That shit blew me away. I would often revisit it months and years after finding and I'm still into it.

Now who got a copy of Black and Blues for me?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

Cool story.

My brother found this in my granddad's record collection about 11 years ago.
    That shit blew me away. I would often revisit it months and years after finding and I'm still into it.

Now who got a copy of Black and Blues for me?

i don't have one now, but it's very common around here. i stopped picking it up. next time i grab one i'll PM you, but you should be able to find one real fast.

• thesolelifethesolelife 369 Posts
    Laws' Tidal Wave

i don't have one now, but it's very common around here. i stopped picking it up. next time i grab one i'll PM you, but you should be able to find one real fast.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    Nearly impossible choice, but if I was to choose one it would be Blue Train. One of the first Blue Note releases I ever heard and still my favorite.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Bobbi Humphrey- Satin Doll LP

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Yeah, I'll keep an eye out too. That's one I never stop picking up if it's clean. Another top 70s BN. I have a friend who is a dead ring for the young Ms. Humphrey, sans afro.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Where are all the Blue Note haters? There was a similar thread not so long ago where there were some negatives being spun about this label by several people. I was not one of them though, probably my all time favorite label.

I don't "Celebrate the entire output" of the label (Usually the stuff I don't have the talent to play along with because it's or ) but for me that music sums up my idea of what was going on in the world at that period in time, better than any book or film. The cover photography is also fantastic, even if the dude who took them (name escapes me) was never really into the music IIRC.

The sunlight through the grass in the bottom right-hand corner of the "Speak Like A Child" sleeve is where it's at.

• jazzercismjazzercism 838 Posts

This album qualifies as noise pollution.

This album swings. You just need to have some imagination to hear it.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Where are all the Blue Note haters? There was a similar thread not so long ago where there were some negatives being spun about this label by several people. I was not one of them though, probably my all time favorite label.

I don't "Celebrate the entire output" of the label (Usually the stuff I don't have the talent to play along with because it's or ) but for me that music sums up my idea of what was going on in the world at that period in time, better than any book or film. The cover photography is also fantastic, even if the dude who took them (name escapes me) was never really into the music IIRC.

That said, Bobbi Humphreys' Blacks & Blues is probably the plainest Blue Note cover I've ever seen. Stark black & white shot with part of the liner notes on the front[/b] cover, for a change. It looks like it could have been a rare private-press from a Detroit basement, not from a major label-distributed company based in New York.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

That said, Bobbi Humphreys' Blacks & Blues is probably the plainest Blue Note cover I've ever seen. Stark black & white shot with part of the liner notes on the front[/b] cover, for a change. It looks like it could have been a rare private-press from a Detroit basement, not from a major label-distributed company based in New York.

If you squint your eyes you can see she is not wearing a bra under that tight t-shirt.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Lee Morgan - Cornbread

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Favourite today:

Not only is that one of my favorite LP's, but one of my favorite record covers of all time. I just love that image for some reason, I'd really like to have a poster of the cover, or even better a print of the photo. I tried to find the photographer a few years ago on the internet in hopes of buying a print, but couldn't contact him.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Favourite today:

Not only is that one of my favorite LP's, but one of my favorite record covers of all time.

The silhouettes in the sunlight do look hip, even though I see no connection between the photo and the title.

I just love that image for some reason, I'd really like to have a poster of the cover, or even better a print of the photo. I tried to find the photographer a few years ago on the internet in hopes of buying a print, but couldn't contact him.

In the 70's, CTI used to sell mail-order prints of their artier covers. I think Blue Note would do good business if they were to do that right now.

• Favourite today:

Not only is that one of my favorite LP's, but one of my favorite record covers of all time.

The silhouettes in the sunlight do look hip, even though I see no connection between the photo and the title.

"Speak like a Child" = speak innocently/purely to your loved one?

• This album qualifies as noise pollution.

I have tried Cecil Taylor's music many times. I didn't know having an imagination was required to hear music swing. From now on I will imagine the music swinging and imagine that it's good.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Unit Structures is OK but Conquistador is my C.T. jam.

• jazzercismjazzercism 838 Posts

This album qualifies as noise pollution.

I have tried Cecil Taylor's music many times. I didn't know having an imagination was required to hear music swing. From now on I will imagine the music swinging and imagine that it's good.

Imagine you have taste.

• Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts
    wow...I had no idea that one of my all time favorites would still be around to say...

Wayne Shorter "Night Dreamer" (wow)...

now, that we are done with giving that it's time and space needed...seriously, if you don't know...peep game...

also, Eric Dolphy "Out to Lunch" (hat and beard blew my mind away when I first heard it...and understood what he was doing)

John Coltrane "Blue Train"

Lee Morgan "Search for the New Land" (although, the album overall is meh...that song...wow)

I'll have to think about more....

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    grant green - green street
    lonnie smith - live at club mozambique
    lee morgan - the search for the new land
    john patton - blue john
    cannonball adderly - somethin' else