do yourself a favor apply for RBMA toronto

bozakbozak 334 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
go here:http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/download the application, make a mix or include a cd of your music and send it off BY MAY 4TH! I was a participant last year for RBMA Melbourne and it was definitly one of the best musical experiences ive had yet. I know there are a lot of people here that would get much from the experience, and just as well, there are a lot of people here that would have quite a bit to offer to the academy.it was like two weeks of musical utopia. 24/7 studio time, collaborating with legends, building with likeminded upandcoming musicians, seeing ill shows every night, getting booked in dope clubs, digging excursions, and the only money I spent was on afterhours drinks/food/records. and on top of all that there was no corporate bs to go along with it. you would only know that redbull had anything to do with this by the amount of redbull cans available. il post my application mix if anyones interested.PLEASE reply or PM if you have a question about this. It completly inspired me to be excited about music again and helped me realize that my "dreams" arnt so lofty in reality.

Comments

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    oh, and be aware that the application is 16 pages and requires you to do some drawing so you should start now.

yeah this is a bump

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    oh ok cool

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Also, there is a great interview of Joe Bataan on the Redbull Music Academy Website.

Joe Bataan Interview

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Thanks for the reminder and encouraging words. I was always going to apply last year but it somehow slipped my mind. Just finished drawing the nebula of music bit of the application and only have a few more questions left!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Just finished my application and it was so stressful! I hate it when I do things last minute! Yet, Im glad I did!

Anyone else finish and sent off their apps at all? This should begin as a therapy thread for those who did it. The next ten weeks is going to be stressful as FUCK!

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    What did you guys draw for those questions?
    I had a look at this and was going to apply but i'll be at university so i couldn't make it in the unlikely even i was chosen... looks real fun from the videos i checked though!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    its so embarassing what I drew. Im gonna keep it to my self.

no smiley faces
    and no flowers.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Hahaha, i knew it would be embarrassing, that's why i asked. I cringed just reading the question at how pretentious it was and my plan was to do it while drunk so it was more "creative",

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    yeah I had to work on a few glasses of wine to finish it last night.

You should def try next year. Even if I dont get in this year (again) I know more about myself and my "musical" self. It's stressfull,yes, but good for the soul.

Hey TORONTO PEEPS,

Whats hood? im interested to know more about your "people".

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    its so embarassing what I drew. Im gonna keep it to my self.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Just sent it last minute too.
    I'm really excited about that.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

il post my application mix if anyones interested.

Do it. Chassy used to bump one of your live mixes at our apartment, and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Champaign headz know the deal.

Or do they?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

Or do they?

mmmmmhm.

Or do they?

mmmmmhm.

Ice grill yourself, young lady.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    what did everyone send in? a mix/ original music? or both?

This year I just sent some of my own music instead of a mix(5 tracks). I wish I gave myself more time to do both. Oh well.

Great Blue Hills,

where you living at now? Did you apply too?

I'm actually not from Champaign(sp?), nor have I ever been there. I just lived with B-Boy Immaculate for a while in Amherst, MA. I live in Boston now. And I did not submit to the RMBA. At best, I was a poor to middling DJ, who juggled like a one-handed, semi-retarded monkey, and taunted my audience with music that I enjoyed and they...well...not so much.

So, those days are well behind me. Still love records, though.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I'm actually not from Champaign(sp?), nor have I ever been there. I just lived with B-Boy Immaculate for a while in Amherst, MA. I live in Boston now. And I did not submit to the RMBA. At best, I was a poor to middling DJ, who juggled like a one-handed, semi-retarded monkey, and taunted my audience with music that I enjoyed and they...well...not so much.

So, those days are well behind me. Still love records, though.

I feel you. I cant help but laugh everytime I read, "B-Boy Immaculate" about Chassy.

He's a great dood, and I always have fun with that guy when he's in town. Its that laugh that gets me everytime.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    FUCK
    FUCK
    FUCK
    FUCK
    FUCK
    FUCK
    FUCK

I slept.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    theres always next year! Maybe it will be somewhere exotic or something...

BTW...I put you down as one of the top ten artists from my country that other people should hear. Not like they haven't already, but...

Good work on the new album, Day. I really love it!

I feel you. I cant help but laugh everytime I read, "B-Boy Immaculate" about Chassy.

It made me laugh every time he said it. He tried to set up a hip hop club in Amherst. I said I'd be his VP, but it never got off the ground. Pot related, I think. I really need to get out to Davis and see him. Good guy.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    theres always next year! Maybe it will be somewhere exotic or something...

BTW...I put you down as one of the top ten artists from my country that other people should hear. Not like they haven't already, but...

Good work on the new album, Day. I really love it!

Thanks Elise (and Bozak for the heads up). I don't know how I missed this thread.

Someone told me I might not be eligible since that album was released. Anyone know if this is true?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

Thanks Elise (and Bozak for the heads up). I don't know how I missed this thread.

Someone told me I might not be eligible since that album was released. Anyone know if this is true?

Not true. I know that Rasta Roots was accepted a few years back and he helped produce with Tribe.

As well, I believe Flying Lotus released "1983" right before he went to RBMA.

Do it again next year. Honestly I felt horrible knowing that I didnt get in last year, but I know everything happens for a reason.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Not true. I know that Rasta Roots was accepted a few years back and he helped produce with Tribe.

As well, I believe Flying Lotus released "1983" right before he went to RBMA.

Do it again next year. Honestly I felt horrible knowing that I didnt get in last year, but I know everything happens for a reason.

Eeeenteresteeeeng....I'll look into that. I try not to get my hopes up for things like that. If it happens, cool, if not, there's always next year

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    I'm goin to be there again this year. Hopefully some of yall will be in my group. RBMA is a big two week party and people get some songs done somehow. I'm goin to pace myself this year with the kickin it. The participants wore me out with all the drinkin.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I'm goin to be there again this year. Hopefully some of yall will be in my group. RBMA is a big two week party and people get some songs done somehow. I'm goin to pace myself this year with the kickin it. The participants wore me out with all the drinkin.

I hope to see you there too!!!!!

I feel like getting out my mind garden for a while and meeting people from around the world. Plus record shopping. Whats it like Toronto? The record stores? anyone?

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    SMILE...You're on RED BULL CAMERA! (They're lurking big time in this place!)

for real though, i've been there at the very first in 98 when it was all national (Germany) and it was the shit. Totally mindblowing. Since then, I always wanted to get on again, but I know the guys who read all the aplications I will go international next year, although I dont know whats the policy when you were already there. Guess, the first one does not really count, since it was all national. St??psel, if you read this, count on me for Germany in 08

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    SMILE...You're on RED BULL CAMERA! (They're lurking big time in this place!)

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    ask about toronto if one of you guys do get accepted, there are a few of us around.

Toronto's best feature is its multi-culturalism, which translates to an interesting culinary scene.

The record scene is very euro-centric.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Does having your music released really have any effect on this?

I've had things released, but it's pretty darn indie. I've never even had any sort of promotion besides a one sheet. I hope that this won't hurt my chances. I feel like this is something I need right now. I need some inspiration. I feel like I've got a lot to offer and there is so much I want to learn.

I hope that doesn't really play into it.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Does having your music released really have any effect on this?

I've had things released, but it's pretty darn indie. I've never even had any sort of promotion besides a one sheet. I hope that this won't hurt my chances. I feel like this is something I need right now. I need some inspiration. I feel like I've got a lot to offer and there is so much I want to learn.

I hope that doesn't really play into it.

Did you apply?

I really don't think so. I don't believe they single people out because of where they are in their musical career. I am assuming, but it seems far more honest and not so cookie-cutter.