plaese to reccamend some funky Vocoder trax!

hendravishendravis 689 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
^ some midnight star - no parking on the dancefloor type stuff!help! i need some more vocoder in my life

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Is the Vocoder different from the Roger Voicebox?

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Fredi Grace and Rhinestone - "Love Thang"
    Mighty Fire - S/T album has a couple of vocoder trax
    Magic Lady - Hot N Sassy album has a couple of vocoder trax

SG

Scorpio - GrandMaster Flash & The Furious Five

• vocoder is perhaps my favorite instrument of the past 50 years.

Seu Jorge - Mangueira (vocode in Portugese is NEXT LEVEL)
    Primetime - Give It To The Beat (new addition to the crate)
    Kano - I'm Ready
    Zapp & Roger for days
    mad Freestyle records

who invented this thing? first usage on record? someone drop knowledge...

• royal velour & double o 'rock the house'
    otis clay 'love bandit vocoder'
    garretts crew 'nasty rock'
    freestyle 'dont stop the rock'
    jamie jupitor 'computer power'
    pretty tony 'jam the box'
    matrix 'its time to rock'
    master ka 'computer rock'
    mc ade 'bass rock express'
    just look for rock in the title i guess
    lotsa good miami

on scorpio. one of the illest all time.

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts
    vocoder is perhaps my favorite instrument of the past 50 years.

Seu Jorge - Mangueira (vocode in Portugese is NEXT LEVEL)
    nevar heard this one? seu with a vocoder , sounds dope to me

Zapp & Roger for days - just put on some of this !

who invented this thing? first usage on record? someone drop knowledge...

From Wikipedia:

Vocoder has appeared on pop recordings from time to time ever since, but in most of cases vocoder works just as a some kind of special effect in pop music. However, many experimental electronic artists and representors of "new age" genre often utilize vocoder in a more comprehensive manner. Jean Michel Jarre (album Zoolook, 1984) and Mike Oldfield (album Five Miles Out, 1982) are good examples. There are also some artists who have made vocoder an essential part of their music. Those include the famous German group Kraftwerk, Roger Troutman's Zapp, jazz/fusion keyboardist Herbie Hancock during his late 1970s disco period, Patrick Cowley's late recordings and more recently, avant-garde-pop group Trans Am. The song "O Superman" by avant-garde musician Laurie Anderson is a popular recording released in 1981 that incorporates the vocoder. The KLF used vocoder-distorted voices in their 1991 "Stadium House" mix Last Train to Trancentral (Live from the Lost Continent). In 1998, Marilyn Manson utilized the vocoder heavily in their glam- and 70s-influenced LP Mechanical Animals, whereon such songs as "User Friendly" and "Posthuman" among others make substantial use of the technology. Since 1998, Manson has favored the live concert use of vocoders and many concert-goers can hear him use the technology when performing many songs, notably, "Antichrist Superstar". The bands Mogwai, The Faint, Air, Ween, and Death from Above 1979 all have extensive use of the vocoder. Daron Malakian, guitarist of System of a Down has used a Vocoder in the songs Sugar, War?, and Old School Hollywood. Muse also used a vocoder on their latest album, Black Holes and Revelations, most notably when performing the song "Supermassive Black Hole' live. French house duo Daft Punk are also very well-known for their use of vocoders for their songs that contain lyrics. Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters used a vocoder in the 1999 song, "Generator". During his live performances, singer-songwriter Martin Sexton is well know for singing into a vocoder to simulate lead guitar while he simultaneously plays rythym.
    Legendary funk artist Prince recorded the vocals to his 2006 song "Incense and Candles" using a vocoder. This song can be heard on the album 3121.

Stevie Wonder - Secret Life Of Plants.

"...........like I do..ooo..oo.o...."

"...........like I do..ooo..oo.o...."
    took longer than i thought for that 2 pop up!

anyone seen herbie hancocks future 2 future ?

thaers a version of rock-it on thaer with anothar keyboardist with herbie hittin up tha vocoder! vary tasty indeed

thaers a version of rock-it on thaer with anothar keyboardist with herbie hittin up tha vocoder! vary tasty indeed

U talkni about the DVD or just the CD?

dvd , sorry i thought by askin if anyone had Seeen future to future they would think of tha dvd. hehe

dvd , sorry i thought by askin if anyone had Seeen future to future they would think of tha dvd. hehe

I havent watched my F2F DVD in a minute, Ill peep it soon for ur Rock-It evaluation.

vocoder is perhaps my favorite instrument of the past 50 years.

u got any tracks u made with some vocoder in tha mix??

i remeber in that beatsrut sample contest thing u laid down that sick track Fresh Delivery, with a super dope synth part at tha end. and u mentioned had u more time, u woulda busted out the vocodar?

wuch u got, i kno u sittin on some funky fresh shit my man!

also i dig the captainscrate on your page man, got some hott shit in thaer

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    herbie hancock "i thought it was you"
    any daft punk song with vocals

• Ian_DIan_D 120 Posts
    or herbie hancock - getting to the good part...thats got mad vocode action all the way...

• thanks hendrake, glad you're appreciating.

here's that Seu Jorge w/ vocoder (produced by Mario Caldato no less). I must be feelin generous cause this has been one of those secret staples of mine that folks always love and rarely know.

• I'm a buy you a draaaaank....

• Is the Vocoder different from the Roger Voicebox?

Zapp/Roger used the Vocoder
    Frampton used the Voicebox

(as per wikipedia)

and I think the major difference is that the voicebox had that plastic tube that you actually put in your mouth whereas the vocoder is more of a processing the signal after-the-fact. correct me if I'm wrong, but they are all variations of the same thing.

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    Is the Vocoder different from the Roger Voicebox?

Zapp/Roger used the Vocoder
    Frampton used the Voicebox

(as per wikipedia)

and I think the major difference is that the voicebox had that plastic tube that you actually put in your mouth whereas the vocoder is more of a processing the signal after-the-fact. correct me if I'm wrong, but they are all variations of the same thing.

The talk box just uses the physical accoustics of changing the shape of the mouth tounge (ie how we make sounds to make words) to affect the signal.

Vocoders use the characteristics of the carrier signal (the voice) and finding its fundamental frequency, measures how the sound is being altered by speaking words, and then applies that data to the voice signal (the synth in 99% of cases).

So a vocoder is doing electronically what a talk box does physically.

• bruceforcebruceforce 92 Posts
    Dave Tompkins is doing a book on the vocoder, and he aint gonna leave out a thing.
    Sit tight, heads, it will be done soon. will post when it is out.

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    are these supposed to be fairly well known? you want some lesser known stuff? is this for djing?

are these supposed to be fairly well known? you want some lesser known stuff? is this for djing?

umm stuff to look out for on the dig, maybee an mp3 to peep once or twice

anything ud consider basic to almost un-heard of
    just fasicnated by the sound rite now and want to hear all that i can , and get a heads up on which to look out for when im out on the dig .

maybe thro a set together someday who knowz