Unbelievably F***ed Up Bay Area Traffic Accident

2»

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i'm amazed that there were no fatalities. thats a good thing though

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    yeah...i'm reeeeeeaaaaaally not looking forward to the commute tomorrow. i cross the san mateo bridge to work and can only imagine how shitty it'll be with at least half of all the bay bridge commuters using the smb as an alternative route.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    now would be a good time to start up a chopper service from the bay to SF and back

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Is the impact going to be that heavy on the San Mateo bridge? I don't see that many people driving that many miles out of their way to avoid the Bay Bridge. In fact, I don't think the accident directly affected traffic on or off the Bridge, right? It fucked up the 580/880 interchange though, yes?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

If this shit happened in LA it would be done in a month just like how they fixed up their freeways after a major earthquake years ago. The Bay just doesn't have the political clout that it use to, to get shit like this on the fast track in Sacramento amount of vastly underpaid yet extremely hardworking illegal aliens that LA has.

• not the livestock feed that is ruining the soils of the midwest?

Where'd you hear about that?

which part? growing pig/cow food or non-sustainable agriculture?

Livestock feed ruining the soil.

I read something about genetically modified Cargill seed being used in South America and how the crops didn't have much yield after the first few seasons, which worried me since the article insinuated that the operation was moving to California.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    the driver of the tanker, James Mosqueda[/b]

• sergserg 682 Posts

If this shit happened in LA it would be done in a month just like how they fixed up their freeways after a major earthquake years ago. The Bay just doesn't have the political clout that it use to, to get shit like this on the fast track in Sacramento.

He said he had spoken to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's administration and said he was assured the state would fast-track repairs, much as it did after the 1994 Northridge earthquake. He did not speculate about how long it might take to replace the span but predicted massive disruption to San Francisco Bay area traffic.

who knows if they will actually push that shit through but hopefully.

they had some engineers on the radio talking about the structural damage and they said they'd have to replace more than just that one piece because the heat was so hot the area around it is also damaged, not just the part that fell.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    In fact, I don't think the accident directly affected traffic on or off the Bridge, right? It fucked up the 580/880 interchange though, yes?

do you seriously contend that this will not majorly screw up the bridge though? I feel like there could be an accident in LA somewhere and maze would still somehow get clogged up.

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    How long did it take them to fix the Bay Bridge after 89?

It was closed for over a month.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I just passed by this coming into Berkeley, and yea, that shit was an unreal sight.

• i'm amazed that there were no fatalities. thats a good thing though

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Is this an accident or this Banksy's new piece? A tribute to Dali?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I definitely see the invisible hand of Mossad Marc Cuban in all of this.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    i just saw a newsflash that that portion of the freeway has been repaired and is opening tonite/this weekend? wtf!

for some reason i wouldnt want to be the first ones to drive over that schitt!

that contract company looks to make some serious dough for finishing early, a project that they estimated to finish at the end of june.

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    "Contractor C.C. Myers, already famous for repairing the collapsed Interstate 10 Santa Monica Freeway two months ahead of time after the 1995 Northridge earthquake, vowed from the start to work quickly. When Myers was awarded the contract on May 7 with a low bid of $867,075, he said he could do the job in 25 days -- half the Caltrans estimate.

Myers, based in the Sacramento area, will receive a $5 million bonus -- the maximum -- for finishing the work early."

Wow.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    i just saw a newsflash that that portion of the freeway has been repaired and is opening tonite/this weekend? wtf!

I think they've been working 24 hour shifts getting it done.

• I dunno about y'all, but I have concerns about contractors 'rushing' a job of this magnitude.I will admit that CalTrans is probably a worse scenario in most cases, as I can't see their efficiency level being that high