Goddamn that MOBILE DJ made my day...

2»

Comments

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
    those are some good points.... LA is a different story... there seem to be a lot less big house parties being thrown.. and people.. although they have a lot of dough... tend to be tight wads about paying for a DJ. Its like if their friend's friend is a DJ they think they should get the "friend" price. I guess its all about selling yourself like "do you want to throw a party that people are going to talk about or are you gonna throw a little bitty party"

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    I'm just saying: respect the architects...

O-Wang:

Never in a million will I ever diss the old school mobile deejay crews from out here. I actually went to many a party where them dudes where playing and I would just sit my 13 yeard old ass in the corner and watch 'em.

Crazy dumb shout to Chuey Gomez's mobile crew as well.

• dj_netadj_neta 166 Posts
    So wait,

you didn't do weddings?

You ain't that grizzled.

i did. just not the first couple years. when i started to take those, i hated life. i'd leave feeling abUSEd. maybe brides are meaner to the women they hire? i've since played only one wedding that was a positive experience -- a lesbian promise ceremony in a barn in Petaluma in fact. ( thanks ODub! )

J***, are you challenging my status?

So wait,

you didn't do weddings?

You ain't that grizzled.

by the way, you're playing ours. you know that, right?

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    So wait,

you didn't do weddings?

You ain't that grizzled.

Fu*k that--NO TRICK MIXING.

But bring your soundsystem and 9 crates, plaese.

• i did. just not the first couple years. when i started to take those, i hated life. i'd leave feeling abUSEd. maybe brides are meaner to the women they hire? i've since played only one wedding that was a positive experience -- a lesbian promise ceremony in a barn in Petaluma in fact. ( thanks ODub! )

yeah, the last wedding I did was in a barn in the Modesto area (Shig, do they call it the "sto' out there?), also a positive experience. Really nice people, beautiful setting and was paid the most I've ever made in a single gig. Plus, I've never had people freak out to Gal Costa or Sharon Jones in that way before. *sigh*

Which status do you refer to? I see the term scruffy in your location, though I've never noticed that about you

• So wait,

you didn't do weddings?

You ain't that grizzled.

Fu*k that--NO TRICK MIXING.

But bring your soundsystem and 9 crates, plaese.

talk to my agent.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Cubicle chortling!

'oly cheet, mang....

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

talk to my agent.

talk to my agent.

talk to my agent.

talk to my agent.

talk to my agent.

talk to my agent.

talk to my agent.

talk to my agent.

talk to my agent.

talk to my agent.

talk to my agent.

talk to my agent.

talk to my agent.

talk to my agent.

talk to my agent.

talk to my agent.

talk to my agent.

talk to my agent.

talk to my agent.

talk to my agent.

talk to my agent.

talk to my agent.

talk to my agent.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    damn, funny this post pops up now, i am doing my first wedding this saturday. i just got serato, so i think i should be able to field pretty much all requests. but i was wondering where a good place to download all the cheesey songs i am going to have to play would be? i have actually never gone to a "mp3 share" site or whatever, so i am a little lost. help a (wedding)newbie out, please.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    (Shig, do they call it the "sto' out there?),

yo dogg, i dont fuckswit the SLAUS COUNTY 209. STRIKKLY NO-BRED 559 SUNNILINGUS!

anyways, i mentioned it earlier somewheres, i forget, but i was watching some movie [which i also forget] but anyways the dudes kept saying "dont borgnine the doobie"

• Mesh, I've only done wax wedding for the most part (ouch), with a few Cd's thrown in to fill any necessary gaps. Somebody elese here will know tho'.

• "dont borgnine the doobie"

location?

i did. just not the first couple years. when i started to take those, i hated life. i'd leave feeling abUSEd. maybe brides are meaner to the women they hire? i've since played only one wedding that was a positive experience -- a lesbian promise ceremony in a barn in Petaluma in fact. ( thanks ODub! )

yeah, the last wedding I did was in a barn in the Modesto area (Shig, do they call it the "sto' out there?), also a positive experience. Really nice people, beautiful setting and was paid the most I've ever made in a single gig. Plus, I've never had people freak out to Gal Costa or Sharon Jones in that way before. *sigh*

Which status do you refer to? I see the term scruffy in your location, though I've never noticed that about you

oh you don't know? http://www.djscruff.com/

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    damn, funny this post pops up now, i am doing my first wedding this saturday. i just got serato, so i think i should be able to field pretty much all requests. but i was wondering where a good place to download all the cheesey songs i am going to have to play would be? i have actually never gone to a "mp3 share" site or whatever, so i am a little lost. help a (wedding)newbie out, please.

Step one: Get a list of songs from them that they HAVE to have

step two: hit up a local cheapo used CD spot and find some of that cheap, maybe even LP anthologies for classic stuff you may not have too

step 3: I did it legal and signed up trial period Napster, burned shit for a buck a song, way cheaper than bbuying CDs of everything.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Soulseek

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

By the way, mixing/technical skills are always better to have[/b] than not have. The trick is to get known for doing what you do[/b] then folks come looking to enjoy what you are bringing to them.

very true birdman. i do like 10 weddings a year and that pays all my bills, so i don't have to chase around small money bar gigs anymore. the people are always referred to me by a friend or another wedding i did, and they know what they are getting because they have seen me dj before. i'll consult with them once or twice at a cafe, dump a bunch of their CDs into ITunes and make a playlist for Serato and I'm ready to go.

once you get over playing their shitty music and having to carry speakers, weddings are fun to dj. everyone there is ready to have fun, they are drunk, and it is the happiest day of their lives. if you can read a crowd, you're set. in the end with the toasts and cutting the cake and all, it isn't even that much djing. and it's almost always jazz/ sinatra/ soul/ latin/ downtempo/ loungey stuff during cocktail hour and dinner (just press Play when the song starts to fade). then for the dancing part no matter what they tell you they want, their guests are going to dance to disco (to be real) and eighties (pyt) and dee-lite, rob base, britney spears etc. you have to field stupid drunky requests (2 weeks ago this fine as hell mafia trophy wife requested heavy metal at her friend's wedding) but that is nothing new for djs. and at a wedding you usually get fed well, entertained by flirtatious bridesmaids, and tipped $100-$150 when it is all over.

so fucking on point

anybody who ever wants to DJ weddings should print this post and paypal ayers $50 every time they get a gig.