www.texassoulrecordings.com

hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
This is now up and running. Obviously it is very much a work in progress, so all additions and corrections are welcome. Also let me know if you can do high res label scans. I will begin a running list of contributors...I hope no big dude toes are being stepped on by me doing this site. Thanks.AndyP.S.- I'm an engineer, not a graphic artist...so if someone wants to take a shot at making that banner look less janky that would be greatly appreciated too.

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Good start.

I know that Charay has at least 25 singles. Mr. G, Maxwell, and Lightnin' and have a couple more, too. I'll see if I have those discographies on this computer.

Personally, I'd lose that gradient. Just saying.

Good luck.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Nice work, Andy! I'm running out the door, but here are a few things missing (mostly funk):

Soul Crusaders on Dialee
    The Soul Patrol joints on Zuma
    Peacemakers on Star
    Mr. B on Shawn
    Little Jimmy Edwards on Key Loc
    George Brown on Big T
    Lightmen/Chocolate Glass on Judnell
    Soul Senders on Soul-O-Matic
    Little Rose - "Who Can You trust" on Palladium
    Entertainers "Mama Lolo" on Amber
    The Little Rose 45s on LRJ (at least 4-5 of them)
    Parkway label out of Beaumont
    The Lou Pride 45s on Suemi
    Jasino label
    Cold Fire on Kram
    Pretty sure Vern Blair Debate had a second 45?

Very excited to see this site grow!

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    I know that Charay has at least 25 singles. Mr. G, Maxwell, and Lightnin' and have a couple more, too.

Charay has no less than 140 singles.
    Maxwell was a NYC label.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Charay has no less than 100 horrible country singles.

any info on Cutty Sark on Zuma? Seems to be a dumping ground for instrumentals of Charay vocal tunes...

I have a few I could add...

also,the empire of Major Bill's garage/rock releases on his various labels (Charay, Soft, Zuma, Le Cam, etc) has been documented pretty well in garage circles (see the "Fort Worth Teen Scene" series) but not so much as far as his soul releases...that might be a cool thing to look into.

any info on Cutty Sark on Zuma?

Several versions exist, including one with a picture sleeve.

any info on Cutty Sark on Zuma?

Several versions exist, including one with a picture sleeve.

how many are there...I have "Dusty" which is an instro of "Dead" with heavily reverbed bongos added to the mix and is about 15 seconds longer than the Cresa Watson's vocal version...and I know there is a instro of Willie Hobbs "Gloria" by them as well...any others?

"Gloria/ Cutty Sark Theme" (Zuma 648)
    "Dusty/ Night Of The Phantom" (Zuma 652)

And Zuma herself (Bill Smith's wife) has at least three 45s on the label.
    It's almost as if Smith had about ten instrumental tracks that he spread out over all his labels, each with different mixes, vocalists, etc.

Peacemakers on Star

You sure about this?
    I thought this was from New Jersey.

Peacemakers on Star

You sure about this?
    I thought this was from New Jersey.

You know, I'm not positive. I remember looking for it for ages on ebay, and finally seeing it being sold by a dude in Texas who claimed it was local. Later, during a conversation w/ Jo*h, he also referred to it as "the one from Texas". But looking at the label, it says "Gateway Music" which is an East Coast thing, yes?

• TNGTNG 234 Posts

You know, I'm not positive. I remember looking for it for ages on ebay, and finally seeing it being sold by a dude in Texas who claimed it was local. Later, during a conversation w/ Jo*h, he also referred to it as "the one from Texas". But looking at the label, it says "Gateway Music" which is an East Coast thing, yes?

I thought Gateway was a St. Louis thing?

I thought Gateway was a St. Louis thing?

The Gateway label is definitely a St. Louis thing. For some reason I thought there was a Gateway Publishing or something on the East Coast. I'm gonna stand down on this 'til someone sets it straight.

Website's also missing the Pacemaker label, which had some pretty excellent stuff on it (both garage and soul)

The Soul Lovers, Kool & Together, Silk N Soul, etc.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I know that Charay has at least 25 singles. Mr. G, Maxwell, and Lightnin' and have a couple more, too.

Charay has no less than 140 singles.
    Maxwell was a NYC label.

Well - in the interest of keeping it under the banner of Texas soul recordings, then there are about 20-25 total that I know of (a quarter of which use the same backing track!). And, yes, Maxwell was the national label (dist. by CGC) that picked up Mickey & TSG's GC recordings among a bunch of other sides. Even as such, I thought that there were a few more Texas numbers that Maxwell acquired.

There are many Gateway credits seen on many records from many places.
    I believe the Star 45 is from New Jersey judging by the pressing details.

Maxwell didn't do any other Texas acts.

All of these holes on this Texas website will be filled (x100000) in a couple of days.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    get the darned illinoissoulrecordings up so we can start filling our own holes over here!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    get the darned illinoissoulrecordings up so we can start filling our own holes over here!

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    OK I think the site has doubled in size in the past 24 hours...still a long way to go. I added a couple more pics, a couple sound clips, and the first artist bio for The Fabulous Capris.

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    Here is one I have:

Turning Point: Deeper In Love/ Got To Get Up - Git Out (Turning Point 101)

• personperson 3 Posts
    3267 the jives - love / i want you (tear drop)