Pittsburgh Strutters...

john_doejohn_doe 237 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
I'll be there this weekend, any recommended spots (grub, records, etc.)?

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    the big O- grease pit pizza, open late.not that good, but great ambiance (for an episode of the Wire,maybe)

• I'd say go to the squirrel hill area, so you can hit up Jerry's for records. While your there you can find some decent food, lots of nice little jewish deli style stuff, or find some sushi or thai and a pleasant walk around a nice little area- independt movie heatre kinda area. Polish food in Pittsburgh is worth seeking if your into it, the best places are usually churches though, but any legitimite looking place will suffice. Other food people will tell you to eat- a spot called Permantti (sp?) bros. which is like a weirdo pittsburgh sandwich place of legend, huge sandwiches with fries and coleslaw in the actual sandwich- thats on carson st, which dosent have any records (they got a decent bookstore or two though) but theres more food options there and maybe some shopping for your lady friend (hippie spots, h&m, and the dreaded urban outfitters).

Oh yeah and google "the attic" for records too, kinda hard to explain how to get there but once your in pittsburgh it'll make more sense. Ask to be let into the 12" room, or if you can really chat them up- your really trying to get into the 45 building across the street.

Pm for more details on any of the above spots.

• john_doejohn_doe 237 Posts

Oh yeah and google "the attic" for records too,

I've actually been to the attic about 4 years ago - didn't all their stock get ruined in a flood? I saw pics of it on a thread on here awhile back.

Not sure yet where I'm staying in Pittsburgh (it's work-related), I'll let you know.

John

• If youre there tonight my pal Jmall$ is doing "The big Throwback" thing @ the Brillobox.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Primanti Brothers

• Primanti Brothers

co-lesterol-sign

• The attic did get flooded- but totally back at it.

Yeah and sorry on the mis spelling, PRIMANTI. Really I could care less- the place is lame- pittsburgh meat head style.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    The attic did get flooded- but totally back at it.

Yeah and sorry on the mis spelling, PRIMANTI. Really I could care less- the place is lame- pittsburgh meat head style.

Yeah the flood. I remember going there the day after and seeing them shovel literally tons of ruined records into a massive pile. All we could do is stand there and stare. James Brown records completely destroyed. It was very depressing to see. (You never got that Meters record did you, J*e?) The place is called the Attic, but there was plenty in the basement.

Oh, and hating on Primanti's!?! Blasphemer!!

• Listen to WRCT 88.3 FM from 12am-2am if you are in town tonight. My dude Idris and I make fools of ourselves and play underground rap 12s from the late 90s that no one cares about anymore.

Jerry's is the spot.

Check out Stedefords on East Ohio Street if you want to buy rap 12s, CDs, or prison riots/ghetto fights DVDs. They also have piles of records that seem real picked over. If you go over that way around noon get a sandwich from the North Shore Deli. No seating, long lines, low prices, huge portions, and great food. The Deli usually closes around 2:30pm.

• The attic did get flooded- but totally back at it.

Yeah the flood. I remember going there the day after and seeing them shovel literally tons of ruined records into a massive pile. All we could do is stand there and stare. James Brown records completely destroyed. It was very depressing to see. (You never got that Meters record did you, J*e?) The place is called the Attic, but there was plenty in the basement.

Oh, and hating on Primanti's!?! Blasphemer!!

I ride for Primanti's, although I really only mess with the Oakland location. I ate at the downtown one once, and the service was bad, the vibe was wierd, and the food didn't taste the same.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    also grub at Eat 'N Park if you're out late

and Jmall$ has got rekkods....

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    message leisurebandit, carlos is a super nice dude, and can't forget my man

• message leisurebandit, carlos is a super nice dude, and can't forget my man

whoa, for a second i was like, 'do i know this cat?' i'm way behind on my name-changes, what up Mole!

yeah man give me a holler on the PM if you need directions, advice, etc. cosine on most of whats said here already- Jerrys and the Attic are the 2 main spots. Attic is closed Sundays so act accordingly.

Primanti's is the bomb but, its true, is surprisingly inconsistent from location to location. Oakland one (Forbes ave) is best. for other food, there's a ton of good Indian and Pizza spots. for Pizza, the 2 best are on the same block as Jerry's records on the same side of the street. also, as someone said, Eastern European food + culture is on smash here. Gooski's in Polish Hill is a classic spot for cheap grub, drinks, indy rock shows...

yeah, Jmalls' party tonight will be poppin, hit that if you're around.
    Scratch n Sniff, i wonder if i know you, i've definitely met Idris before

• the big O- grease pit pizza, open late.not that good,

dude, trippin- best fries EVAR! and hot dogs if thats your thing. don't go there for the pizza

• Scratch n Sniff, i wonder if i know you, i've definitely met Idris before

I usually go by DJ Thermos, and don't get out to hip-hop/soul/funk/whatever fuctions around the Burgh as much as I would like because I've been working on this BFA that will be completed in the next two weeks.

If I haven't met you yet, I hope to soon. I want to get my DJ hustle on after graduation, and build with as many Pittsburgh heads as possible. I'm planning to take Pittsburgh by storm with two mixtapes I'm producing with Idris: Triumph of the Ill (all MCs with mental disorders), and Concrete Lungies (gravelly voiced rappers from Brooklyn and the Bronx).

• john_doejohn_doe 237 Posts
    Damnit - just found out I'm leaving for Pittsburgh at 3pm which should put me there at around 8pm- The Attic closes at 6pm. Sucks though, the place I'm staying at is less than 5 miles from the Attic.

I'm guessing some of the grub spots are open late, at least I'll have a chance to check those out.

Any late nite record spots...?

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    pm me dog

• Soma45Soma45 38 Posts
    Eat at PNC Park and celebrate the 10-10 buccos. Or eat a Co-Go's hot dog en route to a G.U.N show.

J Malls - where you at baby??

• Or eat a Co-Go's hot dog en route to a G.U.N show.

dang dude. dropping Co-Go's flashbacks on me. Totally forgot about that place. Playchoice Machines and a wall of candy.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    please to find me Silhouettes and Nathan Davis records in the dollar bin, thank you