school me on Juju music

crashcoursecrashcourse 214 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
just found Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey- Operation Feed The Nation on Nigerian Decca and really like it. any recommendations? all i know is what i read on wiki. and while i'm at it price czech plaese?

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    just found Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey- Operation Feed The Nation on Nigerian Decca and really like it. any recommendations? all i know is what i read on wiki. and while i'm at it price czech plaese?

Calling Dr Wu.

Until then let me say King Sunny Ade, including his 80s crossover lps.

One thing I know about juju; the melody is on the talking drums.

• ORLANDO OWOH AND HIS OMIMAH BAND on decca is good stuff, do you like more traditional stuff (ethno steez) or are your ears open?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I honestly don't know that much about juju. What I do know I would be happy to share. Start with King Sunny Ade, the acknowledged master of the genre, specifically his 60 and 70s sides with his Greenspots band. Master Guitarist Vol 1, a comp of early sides, is not that hard to find in the states. Sterns has lots of poorly conceived but still worthwhile CD releases of early work. Greensleeves just released some older sides on a comp and there was another called best of the classic years. As far a 80s stuff, I really only like about half and then only African releases. Try Ajoo which has some wicked funky synth stylings.

I also like Ebenezer Obey and Dele Abiodun. There are a million lesser known juju artists to pursue once you get your feet wet. To learn more, check DJ Kalil's site for a tremendous selection of juju podcasts (the Ejeka Jo series) as well as killer afro-latin, african rhumba, afro-beat, highlife and other treats. You can literally spends days checking his stuff out DJ Kalil blows your mind. The best discography for juju releases can be found here.

I hope this is helpful.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

Juju is on the right, he's in a group called the Beatnuts, they created many a fresh jam.