rep the djs whose crates you’ve raided

2»

Comments

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Celia Soto (late 70/early 80's stuff and a lot of "low rider classics)

Someoneh called "NVW". Everytime I buy new underground indy rap his/her initials are always on the bar-code. I just want to meet the dude and just buy direct.

• sundance kid
    impetuous gents productions
    charles bailey

this Sundance Kid you speak of..you wouldnt be able to scan one of his signatures/marks would you?

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Couple years back I bought some latin soul & salsa records that were owned by a latin dance instructor out of NYC - some of them had pretty extensive notes on what dances to do to each song, and how appropriate they are for each dance.

Turns out that the latin dance instructor was the brother of Ernie, of "Barbara & Ernie" fame.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Just want to shout out any heads that ever gave me records! Big up! That really helps motivate when your starting to dig.... I've had a lot of folks drop knowledge and doubles

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    sundance kid

Yeah! These are everywhere in B-more. I've never found more than 5-6 in one spot, but I've probably got about 20 total that I've picked up here and there.

A few more of mine:

Johnny De Cata - My first 12" come-up. This guy dumped all sorts of early house stuff- a lot of crap actually- but it was at this place that used to have a giant $0.10 record section, so it was kinda hard to beat. The store kept bringing more and more of his stuff out as the weeks went by too.

Andy II Deuce Productions - this guy was in the service in the early 80s and used to DJ at military bases around the world. Lots of German, Venezuelen, and British pressings of hip-hop and disco.

DJ Snake Venom - mid 90s hip-hop and dancehall. Not too many mind-blowing joints, but almost all were doubles and important crate-fillers covering one era.

Unknown College Radio Station - This was the best digging I've ever done with a friend. Both of us stepped up our digging games after realizing how close we came to missing out on this one. Just imagine ~20 crates of '89-96 hip hop from a college radio station that had been sitting in the July sun at a flea market until 12:30pm virtually unpicked by diggers. A few people must have come by and snatched up the OPPs and Mama Said Knock You Outs or something, because every other record was either a rare promo like Jeru's "Da Bitchez", Big L's "Devil's Son", O.C's "Born 2 Live" etc.

DJ Boooman - My only real "celebrity" find. Local club producer. A few test pressings of other peoples' club joints.

Ferrini - My most recent one. A collector, not a DJ. This guy dropped some bombs at a tiny Salvation Army in VA. I thought it was strictly latin stuff at first as I came across Wilson Simonal's 'Pais tropical', 'Candela Verde', etc., but as I got further into it, a greek psyche record from the 60s pops up, then a then a buttload of mint classical stuff, etc. Dude just had good taste.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    DJ AJ sold off a couple thousand pieces of his rap collection to the CD Exchange in Eugene one day when I was getting off of work from right down the street. My friend the store manager let me have first crack at them after him, so now after selling a bunch on eBay I still have like 50 covers with DJ AJ tagged all over them.

At the Austin convention a couple of years ago I was in the parking lot when DJ Smoove pulled in from Dallas with a trailer full of rap records. I helped him unload and got a nice discount on the 40 or so records I bought from him.

1990 US DMC champion DJ Baby G has recruited my help in unloading some of his rap collection on eBay. Just about everything he has he's got in duplicate.

I also have my share of DJ Styles records from Houston.

Oh yeah, I've got Q-Bert's copy of Boxcar Sessions among other titles I scored by way of Persimmon Records a few years back.

• id like to give a shout-out to the Terrible Twins for thier sick collection of soul 45s, MC D, and dude who just wrote "jazzy" on his count coolout 12 inches and also on "when i hear music" debbie deb 12" that i found on the cheap.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    i got a shitload of chick niles jazz collection one day, def LA legend from KLON 88.1 out of cal state LB, dude passed away, a sad day, jazz guru!

• Options
    Local wedding dj impresario Anthony P unloaded his entire vinyl collection back in '98. I picked up a lot of decently conditioned party records from him that served their purpose, a lot of '80s electro stuff that became all the rage the last few years and a good grip of drinking hiphop.

Remember a guy who used to post on here for a few weeks, DJ Nick Pepe? He had a used record store on Long Island a few years ago and Diamond J (original X-Men) would come in and drop off crates. I got a lot of those, some good promos. A lot of untouched stuff too.

When my homie DJ Wally aka PishPosh decided to sell off all his Mowax, NinjaTune, and blazing downtempo records I was there with the cash too.

How many people in NYC area have a rinked record from Chico's basement with the little round "Chico" sticker on it?

• STEVE NICE-used to be a big time local radio dj here, i think hes in dallas now?? got quite a few records of his when his storage spot went unkept. i reckon ol anthony pearson might have a few as well.

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    just got through a fat ass collection of records in nyc. a large part of the hip hop i'm getting from there (old school and some disco jernts) belonged to afrika islam at one time. i noticed some cover ups, like the drums on the joe gibbs "trinidad" 12", the break side was covered up. maybe it was a joint collection because some of the records had afrika islam & ed la rock on the labels. heeeeeeet indeedee.

• STEVE NICE-used to be a big time local radio dj here, i think hes in dallas now?? got quite a few records of his when his storage spot went unkept. i reckon ol anthony pearson might have a few as well.

I DID IT

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    MARIO

wherever your are. i really enjoyed your records. wasn't too into the soca, but you had great taste in reggae and latin music. I'm sorry that shit got sold to some lady from your storage space when you didn't pay your bills.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    just got through a fat ass collection of records in nyc. a large part of the hip hop i'm getting from there (old school and some disco jernts) belonged to afrika islam at one time. i noticed some cover ups, like the drums on the joe gibbs "trinidad" 12", the break side was covered up. maybe it was a joint collection because some of the records had afrika islam & ed la rock on the labels. heeeeeeet indeedee.

do you think those have a historical value?

• just got through a fat ass collection of records in nyc. a large part of the hip hop i'm getting from there (old school and some disco jernts) belonged to afrika islam at one time. i noticed some cover ups, like the drums on the joe gibbs "trinidad" 12", the break side was covered up. maybe it was a joint collection because some of the records had afrika islam & ed la rock on the labels. heeeeeeet indeedee.

do you think those have a historical value?

totally... provenance is big.

by the way chuck niles dick. (( not to speek bad about the daed. )) ..

• yo a.p.

nice mark grotjahn avatar. shit is hot up close.

• yo a.p.

nice mark grotjahn avatar. shit is hot up close.

mark and i are good friends.

do you know him? did you see his paintings?

ap

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Remember a guy who used to post on here for a few weeks, DJ Nick Pepe? He had a used record store on Long Island a few years ago and Diamond J (original X-Men) would come in and drop off crates. I got a lot of those, some good promos. A lot of untouched stuff too.

How many people in NYC area have a rinked record from Chico's basement with the little round "Chico" sticker on it?

When I saw this thread I was about to post about knowing Chico. He is like 60 years old at least, dude has been DJ'ing forever and is really nice. He still Djs as a matter of fact in some spots in Queens.

BTW, I'm not friends with Diamond J, but I am friends with Nick Pepe. I just saw him 2 weeks ago at that Stretch and Bobitto Memorial Day party. He also sold off a lot of his old hip-hop collection. I used to spin with him at some parties, he is one of my favorite "unknown" Djs. Made some great fucking mixtapes back in da day too. I'm sad he sold off so much of his stuff. I'm even sadder he didn't tell me in advance so I could buy some of it!

• i bought richard blades disco collection. No disrespect intended to anyone, but those records were...

nevermind.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=306&item=4739338604

• Big Bob
    Tina
    DJ Mario
    Nocturnal
    R.A.L.
    That classical radio DJ who left his wife with all the D Ashby's/60's MGM demo's/Cadet Concepts
    Buddha Bob (2nd generation)
    Josie Ragley (perhaps the best stash of soul/funk 45's I ever grabbed)