The Single Dad Dilemma

2»

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    In men's bathrooms, guys are pretty much walking around with their shlongs hanging out becuase of the urinal factor. I wouldn't want my daughter exposed to that.

Um - not sure what leather bars you are talking about or
    whatever, but the men's public restrooms I generally find
    myself in do not involve guys walking around with their
    schlongs out. In fact I can't remember the last time I caught
    so much of a glance of a penis in a public bathroom. Of course,
    I wasn't looking too hard, either ...

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    In men's bathrooms, guys are pretty much walking around with their shlongs hanging out becuase of the urinal factor. I wouldn't want my daughter exposed to that.

Hahaha, i was thinking the exact same thing, the only time men walk around with their "scholongs" out is in swimming pool changing rooms (fuck knows why these clowns are so comfortable with it...)

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts

Hahaha, i was thinking the exact same thing, the only time men walk around with their "scholongs" out is in swimming pool changing rooms (fuck knows why these clowns are so comfortable with it...)

I've taken to calling mine a "shlort" since having the word "long" in there is technically false advertising. Rather have ladies be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

I used to take care of my god daughter alot, and she REFUSED to use the mens, so womens is was. It was mostly cool, got a few odd looks sometimes.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts

Or swallow your pride and duck in the women's restroom?

I don't get it, why should you be ashamed of taking your little girl to the restroom ??

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

I don't get it, why should you be ashamed of taking your little girl to the restroom ??

You apparently didn't read the thread.

• In men's bathrooms, guys are pretty much walking around with their shlongs hanging out becuase of the urinal factor. I wouldn't want my daughter exposed to that.

OK, I was exagerating a little, but in a mens bathroom, there are men standing in the open, unzipped, holding their junk and urinating. Their shlongs are out, even if not visible. In a womens bathroom, you don't actually witness anyone relieving themselves because there are only stalls.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts

You apparently didn't read the thread.
    I did, but I just don't understand what the problem is. I guess it's a cultural thing.

You really think women would think you're a pervert if you go in the ladies bathroom with your little girl ? I don't know any woman who would take it the wrong way.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    You really think women would think you're a pervert if you go in the ladies bathroom with your little girl ? I don't know any woman who would take it the wrong way.

It's not so much that he would be seen as a pervert,
    as that there are many many (many) women who would be
    uncomfortable having a man in a public bathroom with
    them for ANY reason.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Do you take her in the men's room and risk having your daughter plop down in a puddle of some sloppy dude's piss (or worse)?

Cover her eyes and walk her in slowly.......Make loud conversation with her so the people in there know she's walking in and they need to get a little closer to the urinals .......and so everyone knows this is your daughter and your not some perv being sneaky.

If the toilet is very clean.. flush..stack 10 of those ring sheets on there and tell her to hurry up.

If the toilet is even a little dirty ...flush..stack 4 of those ring sheets on the toilet and help her balance over the toilet..

flush with your foot

do not wash hands (unless she took a shit)....leave the same way you came in

Never take your daughter in the women's restroom.

This is the best answer so far and I can't believe this thread is still going strong - lol...

The only thing I would say is maybe carry her in instead of walking in. You can move much faster to get in and out of there. It would also take away from the casualness of walking into a place she normally would not. Depending on the kid's age/communication skills, it would not hurt to explain that using the men's is an exception to the rule and why.

An adult man should never be in the women's bathroom, even if he is accompanied by his very young daughter.

• Do you take her in the men's room and risk having your daughter plop down in a puddle of some sloppy dude's piss (or worse)?

Cover her eyes and walk her in slowly.......Make loud conversation with her so the people in there know she's walking in and they need to get a little closer to the urinals .......and so everyone knows this is your daughter and your not some perv being sneaky.

If the toilet is very clean.. flush..stack 10 of those ring sheets on there and tell her to hurry up.

If the toilet is even a little dirty ...flush..stack 4 of those ring sheets on the toilet and help her balance over the toilet..

flush with your foot

do not wash hands (unless she took a shit)....leave the same way you came in

Never take your daughter in the women's restroom.

This is the best answer so far and I can't believe this thread is still going strong - lol...

The only thing I would say is maybe carry her in instead of walking in. You can move much faster to get in and out of there. It would also take away from the casualness of walking into a place she normally would not. Depending on the kid's age/communication skills, it would not hurt to explain that using the men's is an exception to the rule and why.

An adult man should never be in the women's bathroom, even if he is accompanied by his very young daughter.

I don't get the non-hand washing thing.

And about going into the ladies' room, I would be much more concerned about the comfort of my young daughter than that of the adult women in the restroom. Would women really be that bothered?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

if she only takes a piss then she doesn't need to be in that bathroom any longer.....especially standing next to pervert dude at the sink...get her outta there .....a little pee pee finger wont kill her .....shit fingers are a different story

And about going into the ladies' room, I would be much more concerned about the comfort of my young daughter than that of the adult women in the restroom.

that's selfish ......your daughter won't be more uncomfortable in the men's stall than the women's ..you should feel uncomfortable as a man going into the ladies restroom under any circumstance..she wont even remember where she was 10 minutes later if she's under 5

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    "Sometimes parents will need to be creative if the public toilet situation is awkward for a dad with a daughter or a mom with a son. No solution is perfect, but it helps to choose child-friendly destinations in the first place. If the bathrooms are not crowded, it's often easiest to use whichever bathroom you normally would. Women usually feel fine taking a little boy into the women's room with them, and a father can take his daughter to the men's bathroom, providing there isn't anyone at the urinals when they enter and there is a private stall. Sometimes, though, lack of privacy in the men's room makes the dad-daughter situation truly awkward. In this case, there are several possibilities:; Ddad can either send his daughter into the women's bathroom on her own while he talks her through the process through the door, or he can ask a friendly woman to accompany his daughter. Or, if the women's bathroom is completely deserted, he can slip in with his daughter, taking pains to let anyone coming in know that he's there. (Calling out "Dad in the bathroom! Just a moment!" should do the trick.) In the rare situations where a mom can't bring a boy in with her (some locker rooms are strictly women-only, for example), she can improvise in the same ways. The bottom line is that you ??? and other adults ??? may need to be a bit creative at times, but potty training needn't keep you stuck at home. "

Potty Training

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    And about going into the ladies' room, I would be much more concerned about the comfort of my young daughter than that of the adult women in the restroom. Would women really be that bothered?

Yes, they would be - not all, but enough to make it not OK to go in as a man. There is an expectation of a private, safe and male-free environment.

And what about your daughter's comfort level when she's 11 or 14 or 18? How would she feel about a dude in a public bathroom she might be in then?

I don't think there will be a flood of men taking their little girls into the women's bathroom, but I think it sets a dangerous precedent to say it's OK in certain situations.

he can ask a friendly woman to accompany his daughter.

WTF? hell no. What is a 'friendly woman'? Yea, send your daughter in there with a complete stranger - great advice!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

he can ask a friendly woman to accompany his daughter.

WTF? hell no. What is a 'friendly woman'? Yea, send your daughter in there with a complete stranger - great advice!

Yeah. That is crazy, i agree. I think it isn't a big deal to just take her into the mens bathroom, at a restuarant. Not like its "da club" or anything.

Think about the issue of women who breast feed in public! They have no shame! So if I were you, I wouldn't worry about potty time.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Not like its "da club" or anything.

taking your 4yr old daughter to the club now that's funny to me.

carry on.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

carry on.

She's actually three, and can I help it if she keeps it funky?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    she can't just hold it in?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

carry on.

She's actually three, and can I help it if she keeps it funky?

You seem like a very great dad to have. Have no worries. You'll be fine!!

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I'll add my two cents since even though I'm not a single dad I do take out my daughter just me and her a whole bunch. When at a restaurant where the women's bathroom has only one toilet, I went in there with her, I've had no problems with it and have never been called out about it. When there was more than one toilet in the women's, like at the movies or the airport, I took her to the men's, eyes closed, and covered the hell out of the toilet seats, no hand washing (always carry pocket hand sanitizer!). After a while, around age 4, I would just let her use the women's and wait by the door outside. I've gotten a few side ways looks to which I always address with "I'm waiting for my daughter." Really though, its not such a big deal.

• salviasalvia 279 Posts

I agree, and it's not selfish as someone noted as your concern is about your daughter. And no, women won't be bothered.
    Vice versa, mothers go with their son to the mens room.