Jimmy McGriff

YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
His records are sounding real dope right about now...I dig it.

Comments

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    the real question is Jimmy McGriff vs. Jack McDuff

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    i vote Mcduff
    but Mcgriff's "tail gunner" has a good intro

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    "Electric Funk" is about the pimpinest record that exists. A lot of his other stuff kinda burns my ass though.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    "Electric Funk" is about the pimpinest record that exists. A lot of his other stuff kinda burns my ass though.

Have you listened to that record lately?

I think perhaps it is not as good as you are remembering it... it is, in fact, exceedingly tepid funk.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

I think perhaps it is not as good as you are remembering it... it is, in fact, exceedingly tepid funk.

"Back On The Track" will always be up there for me. But I am, admittedly, a little dude. Or a tall man among midgets, perhaps.

No, it's been a number of years actually. Perhaps I need to stop reveling in my memories of tacky funk.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts

brother jack takes it , but i'm not mad at jimmy mcgriff either.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I like the "Soul Sugar" lp a lot (McGriff). Dig On It, The Now Thing, You're the One, Fat Cakes ... all solid. Though you do have to dig that "melodic funky jazz guitar" sound. I focus on the bass and drums mostly (well ... that and the keys of course).

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    "Electric Funk" is about the pimpinest record that exists.
    I tried so hard to "get into" this record (because I respect your status as a tastemaker) but, sadly, it just never happened for me, so I stopped trying.

"Electric Funk" is about the pimpinest record that exists.
    I tried so hard to "get into" this record (because I respect your status as a tastemaker) but, sadly, it just never happened for me, so I stopped trying.

MY KINGDOM IS CRUMBLING

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

It's all about McGriff!

McDuff had his moments (can't front on "Hot Barbeque"), but was undone by weaker material. McGriff was a lot more consistent with his shit.

Matter of fact, I'd choose McGriff over Jimmy Smith, too...