Groovy Productions NJ Record show

DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
prime cuts, DJ Skills and myself checked this out today. it was formerly the one they held at the raritan center in edison. fortunately for me, it was now only 20 minutes away. early admission= a good look, $2 and $3 45 heat is even a better look.50+ recs later= i have a lot of listening to do on a rainy sunday.

Comments

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    yea so I was watching the news this evening and they were saying that you should stay indoors because of all of this rain...Are they crazy??? I needed some records! Today was a good day.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    ira in a white lab coat

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    ira in a white lab coat

he was unusually tan as well. word has it the sept. show will be in a bigger room at the same holiday inn, which will stop old doo wop collectros from knocking me over.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    ira in a white lab coat

he was unusually tan as well. word has it the sept. show will be in a bigger room at the same holiday inn, which will stop old doo wop collectros from knocking me over.

hahahah fresh in from miami
    back in the day.. literally 15 years ago that show was insane and i was one of the few looking for heat[always japanese].The last time at the raritan turned me off to record shows in general[4-5 years ago] with the whole wave of hungry aggro ebay informed buyers and MANY heads looking for the butter.Also i witnessed Stinky Steve for the first time at that show,and he was going off in all of his twisted scaming glory.

ira's shack had some heat
    he let me into the basement a few times -great 45s score and rare ass metal too!!-nuns have no fun ep,uli roth,budgie,hawkwind etc.

the new owner is a total douche/cheeze dawg
    clueless lout
    rinked 45s for "3 to 5 dollars each"
    idiot
    last time i was there the only thing worth scarfing was overpriced krautrock which i didn't.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Shit was GARBAGE! Not at all worth leaving my warm bed at 6 am and risking my life hydroplaning down the turnpike and garden state.

As with any record show I managed to buy 50-60 records for the shop but the only advantage was that only 4 or 5 of them were more than $5.

Early admission $20 =

The local record shows (Fred Falk, Groovy Prod) are a total joke even in comparison to small time shit further outside the tri-state. These guys get the same old dealers pushing the same old shit and hope they can clean up on inflated early admins.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    yeah the only time i hit falk is too load up on 45s before i go to europe

one day i will make it to arbutis[no sleep till]

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Shit was GARBAGE! Not at all worth leaving my warm bed at 6 am and risking my life hydroplaning down the turnpike and garden state.

As with any record show I managed to buy 50-60 records for the shop but the only advantage was that only 4 or 5 of them were more than $5.

Early admission $20 =

The local record shows (Fred Falk, Groovy Prod) are a total joke even in comparison to small time shit further outside the tri-state. These guys get the same old dealers pushing the same old shit and hope they can clean up on inflated early admins.

I paid the $10 early admission...I got some heat that's all I care about.

I paid the $10 early admission...I got some heat that's all I care about.

on that. it was well worth it to drive 20 minutes, pay 10 bucks early admission, dig for a few hours, find some scores, and be home by 2 listening to some heat. i never go home empty handed from this guy's show, no matter how big or small. i'm not in the let me get some cheap heat and flip it, i'm playing what i buy, and that's all i care about.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    What's up with the early admission discrepancy? $20 at 8, $10 at 9?

I guess the extra tenner was worth it as the only good table I hit was right as I walked in.

Maybe this show would be great if I lived out on the shore but as it is the records in that room were not worth the drive.

I should've gone to Hofstra, which is 100% better.

as long as i've been going they do the early admission thing, and it's worked out for me because i can get a quick scan of whats up, then get right down to it. i always go with the $10 hour before because the $20 definitely is not worth it as most dealers are hardly set up. a lot of people seem to roll in after noon, which is weird as well.

i didn't see stinkie steve, he's always good for some scores, nor did i see the guys that sell the reissues for $3, (180 gram for $7). for guys like you who are used to the big time shows and are buying to resell, i can see where you're coming from. for guys who are at the shore, it's a welcome change from the same dealers we encounter at the fleas we hit up on the weekend. maybe with the larger space there might be somebody other than the usual suspects. who knows? i definitely was not paying $50 for "keep on dancing" by the commodores, i'll stick with $2 and $3 recs.