MOTOWN

2»

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    "Not just Motown, but Stax, Chess, OKeh, etc.. As gigantic as Motown was, they were but one piece of the puzzle that was sixties soul. "

Yeah I agree but I think they helped open the door for some of these smaller labels?

I say that most small label 60s soul 45s can be put into 4 categories, (outside of what was happening in New Orleans with Tousssaint, Eddie, and what was happening in Phily also)...most small label 45s were trying to emulate either Stax, Motown, James Brown or Curtis/Okeh...

• "Not just Motown, but Stax, Chess, OKeh, etc.. As gigantic as Motown was, they were but one piece of the puzzle that was sixties soul. "

Yeah I agree but I think they helped open the door for some of these smaller labels?

I say that most small label 60s soul 45s can be put into 4 categories, (outside of what was happening in New Orleans with Tousssaint, Eddie, and what was happening in Phily also)...most small label 45s were trying to emulate either Stax, Motown, James Brown or Curtis/Okeh...

Some of what was happening in NOLA was trying to imitate outside sounds as well. Listen to a track like 'Emperor Jones' by Eldridge Holmes (VERY Chicago/Curtis sound) or 'Just Like A Monkey' by Eddie BO (Motown rip). There are others that just aren't coming to mind.
    Hit Philly and listen to a lot of the stuff on Harthon, Arctic and (early) Gamble and there's an awful lot of Detroit in there.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    It really makes me all warm and fuzzy inside (PASUE) to see dudes giving props to Motown. Not too long ago all you heard was neo-crate-digging types talking real Simon Cowell about Berry Gordy's label... "I can't stand that Motown shite", "it's utter crap", "I take dumps on your mum and wipe my bum with Motown" (no dis to my UK brethren, USA folls were just as guilty of this vile injustice).
    Man, Motown was (and is) GREAT MUSIC. the wack cover of "I Get Lifted"- the rest of the cd is reallllly good IMO).

I'll admit, I was tired of Motown for the longest time, thanks to overkill on oldies radio in the 80's and 90's. Of course, if, say, Duke/Peacock got the same treatment, I'd be tired of hearing Bobby "Blue" Bland myself. The point is, overexposure is the ONLY problem. Once you get past that, there is no denying that Motown had a killer roster of acts that couldn't be denied (esp. during 1961-72).

cosign. i was just commiserating about this same issue with a friend of mine over the weekend. i mean, my junior high school years were all about the oldies station.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    It really makes me all warm and fuzzy inside (PASUE) to see dudes giving props to Motown. Not too long ago all you heard was neo-crate-digging types talking real Simon Cowell about Berry Gordy's label... "I can't stand that Motown shite", "it's utter crap", "I take dumps on your mum and wipe my bum with Motown" (no dis to my UK brethren, USA folls were just as guilty of this vile injustice).
    Man, Motown was (and is) GREAT MUSIC. the wack cover of "I Get Lifted"- the rest of the cd is reallllly good IMO).

I'll admit, I was tired of Motown for the longest time, thanks to overkill on oldies radio in the 80's and 90's. Of course, if, say, Duke/Peacock got the same treatment, I'd be tired of hearing Bobby "Blue" Bland myself. The point is, overexposure is the ONLY problem. Once you get past that, there is no denying that Motown had a killer roster of acts that couldn't be denied (esp. during 1961-72).

cosign. i was just commiserating about this same issue with a friend of mine over the weekend. i mean, my junior high school years were all about the oldies station.

Why stop at Junior High? Then again, you probably have way better radio where you are than where I am.
    That's all I listen to now...it's the only thing that's bearable. That's how I even know about Rhinoceros "Apricot Brandy"! There's a couple pop/r&b/rock oldies stations around here and one really good big-band-nothing-after-1960 station.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

Why stop at Junior High? Then again, you probably have way better radio where you are than where I am.
    That's all I listen to now...it's the only thing that's bearable. That's how I even know about Rhinoceros "Apricot Brandy"! There's a couple pop/r&b/rock oldies stations around here and one really good big-band-nothing-after-1960 station.

well, missy, i became a too-cool, zit infested, angst ridden, denim shirt and floral tie wearing TEENAGER. all hope was lost for quite some time. i dont know if canada suffers from this same ailment. anyways, i got into the gangsta rap lips at that time, hence my gangsta floral prints.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

well, missy, i became a too-cool, zit infested, angst ridden, denim shirt and floral tie wearing TEENAGER. all hope was lost for quite some time. i dont know if canada suffers from this same ailment. anyways, i got into the gangsta rap lips at that time, hence my gangsta floral prints.

oh it does! and if it ain't gansta floral prints, it's ketchup chips-stained Rush jerseys.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    no, not motown67. but, i should say you all should say thank you to that dude as he pretty much runs the reviews section of the soulstrut board.

no, this is about the motown catalog. which includes tamla, and gordy.

top 5?

1. mary wells - please forgive me
    2. tammi terrel - dontcha worry bout a thing
    3. brenda holloway - ive been good to you
    4. stevie wonder - sunsets
    5. miracles - depend on me

Cosign on the "only 5???" statement. Off the top of the head, and in no particular order;

1: Martha & The Vandellas - One Way Out
    2: Undisputed Truth - You Make Your Own Heaven And Hell Right Here On Earth
    3: Eddie Kendricks - People Hold On
    4: Stevie Wonder - Blame It On The Sun
    5: Gladys Knight & The Pips - I Heard It Through The Grapevine.

Seriously, I could probably list a Top 50 and still be wondering what I missed out. Oh, yeah, and big up motown67.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I should add as well that Motown pretty much created what's arguably the definitive template for how great pop music should be made. Here's something you might want to do. Make a list of Motown records - they don't have to be acknowledged/well-established classics, or from a particular act/writer/producer - and count how many of them don't have great, grab-you-right-away intros. I bet it'll be a short list. It always astounded me how so many people with such an innate grasp of what it was that made great music so great should all be congregated in one place within such a short space of time. I know similar kinds of things have happened before, but have they ever produced the kind of enduring results that Motown did? Even though they had their formula, there were no guarantees that it'd work, or keep working, or that they'd achieve such a sustained level of success. Motown's legacy is pretty amazing whichever way you slice it.

Anyone read that Nelson George book, "Where Did Our Love Go"? Terrific stuff. I lent it to a friend years ago, and never got it back. Is it still in print? I haven't seen it in a bookstore for a long time.