E-40 = The Realest

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
E-40 Donates $12,000 to Alma Mater Bay Area rapper E-40 recently donated $12,000 to his alma mater, Hogan High School, to purchase new drums and marching equipment for the school???s band. According to Vallejo???s Herald-Times, 40 stepped up to the plate after learning the school was in desperate need of new equipment after vandals broke into the band room and destroyed some of the already decrepit instruments. ???We???ve been waiting for this forever. Everything that we do has to go through fundraisers,??? said drumline instructor Tina Jamias. ???We always struggle every year.??? On Wednesday (April 11), 40 presented a check to the students and school administrators, and was treated to a performance by the band. ???Our equipment was run down. I can???t imagine how they are getting through with it now,??? said 40. ???I wanted to do something for my school. And I want people to know it???s cool to be in band. It???s cool to play instruments.???[/b]

Comments

• E-40 Donates $12,000 to Alma Mater

Bay Area rapper E-40 recently donated $12,000 to his alma mater, Hogan High School, to purchase new drums and marching equipment for the school???s band. According to Vallejo???s Herald-Times, 40 stepped up to the plate after learning the school was in desperate need of new equipment after vandals broke into the band room and destroyed some of the already decrepit instruments. ???We???ve been waiting for this forever. Everything that we do has to go through fundraisers,??? said drumline instructor Tina Jamias. ???We always struggle every year.??? On Wednesday (April 11), 40 presented a check to the students and school administrators, and was treated to a performance by the band. ???Our equipment was run down. I can???t imagine how they are getting through with it now,??? said 40. ???I wanted to do something for my school. And I want people to know it???s cool to be in band. It???s cool to play instruments.???[/b]

SO HE'S AGAINST SAMPLING?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

"this one time, in band camp..."

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Where's Whitlock ?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I want people to know it???s cool to be in band. It???s cool to play instruments.???[/b]

Damn skippy! All my jazz band/concert band/symphonic band/marching band/pit orchestra heads STAND UP!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    this is dope

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    this is dope

And it's only $12,000. Imagine the sorts of things people with REAL money could do?

Philanthropy. It's not just for old folks any more.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    this is dope

And it's only $12,000. Imagine the sorts of things people with REAL money could do?

Very true. About 12 or 13 years ago I was answering phones for a local community radio station pledge drive (KBOO) when the guy next to me gets a call from Robert Plant. Apparently he was in Portland for some reason or another and happened to tune into the station. He went on about how cool the station was and how much he wanted to support such a great community resource... and then proceeded to donate the minimum 1-year membership fee ($120.00).

Not that we weren't appreciative, but it really is an amazing radio station and invaluable resource for the entire city, and even my parents donated more than he did (and my dad doesn't even live in Portland).

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    e-40 has that long yayper, believe that

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I want people to know it???s cool to be in band. It???s cool to play instruments.???[/b]

Damn skippy! All my jazz band/concert band/symphonic band/marching band/pit orchestra heads STAND UP!

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    highly respectable. good man.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    anybody ever seen any old Hogan High School LPs?
    Vallejo fonk?

• Doesn't E-40 own a FatBurger fastfood spot in Vallejo or some shit?

I wonder how much he cakin off that.

He prolly makes more off that than his music.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    Doesn't E-40 own a FatBurger fastfood spot in Vallejo or some shit?

possible assumption 1: E-40 makes shitty music
    possible assumption 2: the people of Vallejo love fast food
    possible assumption 3: E-40 has revolutionized the fast food biz

• What about orchestra?

I think E-40 should create a show called "Pimp My Instrument." Fog machines inserted into cellos, spinners imbedded in bass drums, flutes with neon lights attached, iced-out mouth-pieces molded into the shape of grills, solid chrome tuning pegs, and everything air-brushed in garish colors.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Doesn't E-40 own a FatBurger fastfood spot in Vallejo or some shit?

He does rap about buying a Wing Stop. Can't be mad at that.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    Apparently Bay Area cats are proud of their marching band affiliations:

California, where I was born and raised
    I used to play the drum in my younger days
    I just hit that beat any way I can
    Smooth high-stepping in the marching band

- Too $hort, 1990

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    this is dope

Very true. About 12 or 13 years ago I was answering phones for a local community radio station pledge drive (KBOO) when the guy next to me gets a call from Robert Plant. Apparently he was in Portland for some reason or another and happened to tune into the station. He went on about how cool the station was and how much he wanted to support such a great community resource... and then proceeded to donate the minimum 1-year membership fee ($120.00).

Not that we weren't appreciative, but it really is an amazing radio station and invaluable resource for the entire city, and even my parents donated more than he did (and my dad doesn't even live in Portland).

At this point, I should probably disclose that I work in fundraising at a major media non-profit corporation. We're an NPR radio and PBS television station.

So, yeah, I do all that pledge stuff, but I don't want to be the guy talking up the company in my free time. I can tell you this, though - there's a lot to be said for contributing to an organization that does something you believe in. Even in small amounts. Homelessness, medical care, whatever. Non-profits live and die on random and not-so-random donations.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    But seriously guys, what are songs with horns?

That's cool. Great Blue...my lady works at a non-profit and explains a lot of the way things work to me. They work hard to get stuff done, noble work for sure.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Oh word? I was a tenor sax man myself, though I also occasionally played the alto or the C-melodic.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Oh word? I was a tenor sax man myself, though I also occasionally played the alto or the C-melodic.

Mad jealous. Always wanted to play tenor, it's hard to get a good, deep sound out of an alto. At my high school being in band was a big deal, cause there were so many great musicians. I never really cut it on their level though, my sight reading has always been shit. The majority of the jazz band have gone on to major in music in college, which says a lot.