The Dramatics

GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
What's the difference betweein this: and this: Also, are any of the ones after the first two any good? I spied a cheap copy of "A Dramatic Experience" around town and I think I'll nab it.

Comments

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    Beautiful mystic cover-art vs. Cheap group shot cover-art

1st pressing vs. 2nd pressing

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    What's the difference betweein this:

and this:

Also, are any of the ones after the first two any good? I spied a cheap copy of "A Dramatic Experience" around town and I think I'll nab it.

the top one is OG, the bottom one is a purple label Fantasy issue from the 80s...

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Well Whatcha See is one of my all time favorite Soul albums. Surprisingly, the Dramatics continued to put out some quality Soul tunes all the way into the 70s. Here's a rundown of a lot of their records:

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/list.php?category=Soul&page=19
    http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/list.php?category=Soul&page=20

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Also, are any of the ones after the first two any good? I spied a cheap copy of "A Dramatic Experience" around town and I think I'll nab it.

Experience is their 2nd release, also neccessary

I've just started exploring the later releases relatively recently

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I recommend getting "Drama V" from '75 for the killer 7 minute track "Dramatic Theme/Treat Me Like A Man", produced and written by Michael "Banana Dong" Henderson.

It goes from the appropriately titled fast-paced intro directly into to a mid-tempo groove with amazing vocal parts by the group, backed by a beautiful, big string/horn arrangement. It is???well???very dramatic.

Sorry if that description was a bit DustyGroovy, but I love this tune. Cheapo bin goodness IMO. In fact, I'm gonna put it on right now.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Experience is their 2nd release, also neccessary

That was their anti-drug concept album. The title was originally supposed to be The Devil Is Dope, which explains the drawing of monstrous-looking creature on the cover.

The third one, Dramatically Yours, is one to get as well. They were billed as Ron Banks & the Dramatics at that time, because I think there was a bogus Dramatics formed by a former member. These "other" Dramatics had a pretty good single on Mainstream, "No Rebate On Love."

Sometime between their Volt and ABC releases, they were on the fading Cadet label for a minute - that is how we got The Dells Vs. The Dramatics (both groups getting something like a side apiece, with at least one or two tracks where the two groups are duetting). The Dramatics' songs from this short-lived period are good, too - my fave is "Tune Up."

As far as the original-vs.-reissue covers for Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get, the original version with the drawing has these hysterical photos in the gatefold of the group (and their producer) decked out in flamboyant 1970's gear (huge pimp hats, the works) so you GOTTA get that! If the new owners of Stax ever get around to reissuing this album, it HAS to be with the gatefold spread...

Seems they count the split LP as their fourth - pretty sure the next release is "V"

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

"New Dimension," their 1981 album on Capitol, has a pair of nice modern soul-type tunes: "She's My Kind of Girl" and "I Believe In You."

SG

"New Dimension," their 1981 album on Capitol, has a pair of nice modern soul-type tunes: "She's My Kind of Girl" and "I Believe In You."

SG

Damn, that might be the only I don't see (and haven't owned)

Leave it to SG to pull out the obscure modern releases from well-known soul acts...

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
    The Dells Won!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Also, are any of the ones after the first two any good?

No, and don't let the modern soul crowd tell ya otherwise.

• Man, I went to get that copy of "A Dramatic Experience" at lunch. It was $2. And it had Al Wilson's "Show and Tell" in the sleeve. Fuck!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    "Experience" has some good stuff, but it's nowhere near the first one. That's where ya wanna be.

• "Experience" has some good stuff, but it's nowhere near the first one. That's where ya wanna be.

Amen to that. "whatcha see is what you get" is one of my favorite soul songs. The low / high voices interplay is just

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I'll ride for "Joy Ride" - despite it's 1976 release date,
    the sound is much closer to their early-70's material than
    the late-70's disco era stuff.

• "Experience" has some good stuff, but it's nowhere near the first one. That's where ya wanna be.

Yeah, but I'd pay $2 for "The Devil is Dope" alone.

Yeah, but I'd pay $2 for "The Devil is Dope" alone.

Dog, pay $2 for the COVER alone...That thing is one of a kind.

The first album is an all time favorite, though. Tough to top.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The "Whatcha See" LP has to be one of the top
    10 most "common" records that is almost impossible
    to find clean - every copy of it I find is beat, making
    it much harder to secure than one might think.

• I got my super clean, M- gatefold copy for $12 from...

Wait for it...

Dusty Groove America.

• dirtyboydirtyboy 16 Posts

I'll ride for "Joy Ride" - despite it's 1976 release date,
    the sound is much closer to their early-70's material than
    the late-70's disco era stuff.

Finger Fever and I Get Carried Away are (especially) my joints.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I recommend getting "Drama V" from '75 for the killer 7 minute track "Dramatic Theme/Treat Me Like A Man", produced and written by Michael "Banana Dong" Henderson.

Does this album have "You're Fooling You" and "I'm Going By The Stars In Your Eyes" on it?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Yup, Drama V has 'You're Fooling You' which is my favourite Dramatics track after Whatcha See.