do these bother anyone else?

Rod_TorfulsonRod_Torfulson 464 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
totalitarian propaganda^^^^ this is from the MARC train in DC. Akin to Soviet or Nazi posters. They even used similar artwork. this is a few years ago in London.

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

this is from the MARC train in DC. Akin to Soviet or Nazi posters. They even used similar artwork.

actually, that looks way more like early Soviet propoganda, which is even more ironic, since all of this paranoia is just an extension of the Cold War mentality still held by most US policy makers.

And I love the thing about reporting 'Unlawful Activities'. Like the woman who got arrested for eating a candy bar on the DC metro last year? Book 'em Danno.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    do these bother anyone else?

"No, just you."[/b]

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    we live in an age of heightened surveillance. plenty of interesting thinking and strategizing to do around this issue.

the bush billboard is just plain wack.

the london one is interesting- the hidden camera surveillance in that city is mind-numbing. could go off on some Foucault analysis but save it for a later date.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

How did this not get the shit tagged out of it?

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I'll agree. Those, particularly the bottom two, are freaky. Definitely reminds me of some sinister sci-fi or something.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    we live in an age of heightened surveillance. plenty of interesting thinking and strategizing to do around this issue.

the london one is interesting- the hidden camera surveillance in that city is mind-numbing. could go off on some Foucault analysis but save it for a later date.

Yo I used to work with this cat that used to talk about the chips they are gonna put in us all. I used to think he was nuts but now..... It's all coming true!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

totalitarian propaganda^^^^

I was watching an episode of Penn & Tellers "Bullshit" AKA the show I love to hate and they were mentioning how some people on the left seem to take offense at simple statements like this and beleive they shouldn't exist.

The argument came down to saying that you don't reserve the right not to be offended as an American and peoples wishes not to see things like this it boils down to censorship.

Truth is, whether we like it or not Bush is our leader. I'm not happy with it but I'm not going to revolt against the government over propaganda like this. Just let it wash off your back.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

Yo I used to work with this cat that used to talk about the chips they are gonna put in us all. I used to think he was nuts but now..... It's all coming true!

no, he actually does sound nuts.

the truth is we're all cyborgs of sorts anyway. but surveillance works in a much more subtle manner.

• How did this not get the shit tagged out of it?

Ha, with any sort of due diligence it did. Please note that this image is sponsored exclusively by Clear Channel, and no political candidate endorsed it. So if you're keeping track, the predominant media company in the U.S. would just like to give us a friendly reminder of who the leader is. Thats all. Thank god for the free press, the very backbone of our political system.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Ha, with any sort of due diligence it did. Please note that this image is sponsored exclusively by Clear Channel, and no political candidate endorsed it. So if you're keeping track, the predominant media company in the U.S. would just like to give us a friendly reminder of who the leader is. Thats all. Thank god for the free press, the very backbone of our political system.

Yeah, that is pretty alarming. Note, I am not offended, just alarmed, in that I don't think anyone needs a friendly reminder as to who's president, what day it is, what year it is, etc. I don't consider it offensive, just very subtly intimidating, and maybe slightly threatening.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

Yeah, that is pretty alarming. Note, I am not offended, just alarmed, in that I don't think anyone needs a friendly reminder as to who's president, what day it is, what year it is, etc. I don't consider it offensive, just very subtly intimidating, and maybe slightly threatening.

there's a billboard not more than 15 miles outside of Jackson, MS which reads- "Thank the Lord for George W. Bush."

I think it would be even more clever if they did one of those billboards written in the first person, as if god is speaking to drivers on the freeway, stating his support for W.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts

Or switching the D & L ?

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

It's just instructions for aliens landing on the planet.

• It's all coming true!

You mean the beta-testing is over ??

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

totalitarian propaganda^^^^

I was watching an episode of Penn & Tellers "Bullshit" AKA the show I love to hate and they were mentioning how some people on the left seem to take offense at simple statements like this and beleive they shouldn't exist.

Guzzy,

I like simple statements like: "all you need is love" and "give peace a chance" and "all unmarked records are $1" but it's just weird to have a giant fucking billboard announcing "OUR LEADER". If you look at Communist propaganda posters in the USSR and China, the symbolic distance is pretty damn short.

"Our Fearless Leader".

One word separates Bush from Kim II Sung. A'ight? And you wonder why people "on the left" don't like simple phrases? Maybe because FASCISM was built on simple sentiments about leaders.