Big City DJ Dudes (Walk Home Related)

dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
How do you handle transportation to/from gigs? I know microwave makes public transportation an easier option than when records were the norm, but do you ever feel kinda iffy about having your whole livelihood on your person? I imagine especially the trip home at 3 or 4 in the morning, obviously carrying a laptop and with a pocket full of cash is pretty. Does this make me disconnectinated?

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    When I have lots of cash and I need to walk around sketchy places I usually distribute it in different places on my body. Some in the socks, both pockets, hidden pockets, wallet, etc. So if I'm mugged I most likely won't lose all of it.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    If it's nearby I try to arrange for them to store the gear in a safe place so I can pick it up the next day, especially if I plan to go out myself after my set.

One time I did this after playing at a bar though and came back to pick up my records the next day, only to find out some girl who worked there put my crate full of records on a table in the middle of the bar for some reason. Luckily nothing got stolen.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    When I have lots of cash and I need to walk around sketchy places I usually distribute it in different places on my body. Some in the socks, both pockets, hidden pockets, wallet, etc. So if I'm mugged I most likely won't lose all of it.

This saved me a couple of times.

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    Word, though honestly I'd be most concerned with the laptop, which is tough to conceal and much more of a serious loss considering that it's how I earn my money, not to mention all the effort that went into compiling my library.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Word, though honestly I'd be most concerned with the laptop, which is tough to conceal and much more of a serious loss considering that it's how I earn my money, not to mention all the effort that went into compiling my library.

Just rub shit all over it and talk to yourself. No one will fuck with you.

Oh, I'm definitely doing that.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

- back everything up twice (2 external drives...they are cheap now)
    - go on craigslist and get a shitty backup laptop for a few hundred dollars.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    How do you handle transportation to/from gigs? I know microwave makes public transportation an easier option than when records were the norm, but do you ever feel kinda iffy about having your whole livelihood on your person?
    I imagine especially the trip home at 3 or 4 in the morning, obviously carrying a laptop and with a pocket full of cash is pretty.
    Does this make me disconnectinated?

Just take a private car or a taxi.

A. You are a celebrity, and need to get driven around like one.

B. Right off those reciepts.

C. Do you really wanna get on a train with your Microwave laptop? What if???

D. Don't be cheap!

Yeah, the backup drives are definitely necessary. I'm behind on that, but need step my game up.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Yeah, the backup drives are definitely necessary. I'm behind on that, but need step my game up.

This is true, and I haven't backed up my shit in a minute.

Mental note, do this when I get home. Woops, have dinner plans. Do this tomorrow night!

D. Don't be cheap!

That sounds like real talk. I come from a very spread out city, so I tend to forget that cabs are a pretty viable option most places.

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    Yo
    Ride a bike. I recently purchased one out of necessity in an effort to strengthen my injured knee but now I find it kinda fun and addicting. You can get a nice backpack for the laptop and dildo records etc.. It's fun, healthy, faster than walking, and you will be a tougher target for a mugger.

You just have to be the dude on the bike a t the bar.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    bike + booze + $1000 laptop in backpack + 4am = not a good idea?

• I'm still a pack mule. I often walk to my gigs that are within a few miles...that has become a bit easier with the Micro tho. I actually like walking sometimes. I remember the days of dragging 3 bags of records across town when I had no cab far, etc...that was tough. Sometimes I'm lucky and one of the homies gives me a lift to the spot.

Anyone who steals my laptop is gonna be sorely disappointed in the resale value, and my usual nightly pay wouldn't be to0 severe a loss I'm afraid...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I remember the days of dragging 3 bags of records across town when I had no cab far, etc...that was tough.

My residency at the Makeout Room back in the day went like this:

Carry two crates + shoulder bag about a mile to the bus stop
    Take bus to BART station
    Take BART to 24th St. station
    Carry crates + shoulder bag two blocks to the Makeout Room
    DJ
    Split money with co-resident Dooley-O: $50 apiece.
    Take cab back to Oakland (cost: about $40 plus bridge toll)
    Fall asleep happy with the knowledge that I just earned myself a big $5

Just getting a luggage cart to haul those crates was a massive blessing. Ah, those were the days....

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

D. Don't be cheap!

That sounds like real talk. I come from a very spread out city, so I tend to forget that cabs are a pretty viable option most places.

Just keep in mind that you're competing with all of the drunk folk trying to get home late night, and that can easily make for a good 10-30 minutes on the sidewalk with your gear, especially if you're looking to go to a part of town that the cabbies don't necessarily like to go to.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I remember the days of dragging 3 bags of records across town when I had no cab far, etc...that was tough.

Take bus to BART station
    DJ

Just getting a luggage cart to haul those crates was a massive blessing. Ah, those were the days....
    and now all the hoods on ss know yr schedule!

skimaskway.jpg

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

D. Don't be cheap!

Just keep in mind that you're competing with all of the drunk folk trying to get home late night, and that can easily make for a good 10-30 minutes on the sidewalk with your gear, especially if you're looking to go to a part of town that the cabbies don't necessarily like to go to.

I usually take my time packing up, flirting with pretty bartender etc, then get outside and most of the fools have gotten in a cab alreay. Oh and in weird parts of town, you need to have cab/private car business cards or their numbers stored in your cellphone so you can always call for a pickup.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    on hiding shit on your person, mufuckaz will know if you are hiding shit and more than likely kick your ass when you open up an empty wallet. might as well save yourself an ass whupping by just keeping that shit in your wallet

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    on hiding shit on your person, mufuckaz will know if you are hiding shit and more than likely kick your ass when you open up an empty wallet. might as well save yourself an ass whupping by just keeping that shit in your wallet

You gotta keep some sacrificial cash in your wallet at all times.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    anything less than 20 = GIMME YO SHOES BITCH

• co-sign on a lot of points made here.

I ride my bike for local gigs in Brooklyn
    use the train for Manhattan gigs, but will take a cab home depending on how drunk I am or how close to my girlfriend's place we are
    and I also am very low profile - I'm not all about wearing brand new Nikes and Nu-era hats so I look poor

and I also have switched from a traditional DJ bag to this:

as my buddy said one night "It doesn't even look like you have anything in your backpack"

that and I walk around with an so I look tough.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Take bus to BART station
    DJ

This sounds like my epic San Jose voyage involving a bus, BART, three more buses, digging through 3000 records and buying 100, another bus, caltrain, getting off at the wrong stop, a taxi, bart, and a ride from a friend.

My favorite part is always the look of bewilderment people give you like "what the hell are you carrying all those records for?"

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts

and I also have switched from a traditional DJ bag to this:

as my buddy said one night "It doesn't even look like you have anything in your backpack"

This bag looks pretty dope. Whats the brand? Looks like a laptop bag, is it pretty padded?

• and I also have switched from a traditional DJ bag to this:

This bag looks pretty dope. Whats the brand? Looks like a laptop bag, is it pretty padded?

Incase Ripstop bag. Yup, it's a laptop bag, and perfect fit for the full s.erato setup - laptop, cables, records, headphones, box, etc.