cincinnati, whats hood?

LuminLumin 807 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
supreme and i will be in town on thursday djing a scion event at a club (when i get info i will post it).here is the situationi get in around 10 am and dont have to be anywhere until 7:30please explain what is good/hood to get into in that townif someone can take me to a record store you will drink for free if you choose your own adventure and come out to wherever it is we are playing.does cincinnati have a hipster scene? will they attend a scion event?only time will tell

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    pete rose?

mean racist cops?

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    thanks. i hope to meet both

• Everybody's is a good all around spot, if your after hipster ish I found a "Love Will Tear Us Apart" 12 inch there a few years back.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    word. definitely not lookin for hipsterness
    is pleasant ridge a suburb of cinci?

• john_doejohn_doe 237 Posts

is pleasant ridge a suburb of cinci?

Actually, it's within the city limits - Everybody's Records is right there in P-Ridge. There are some flea markets going north on either 75 or 71, and a couple flea markets in the city. Let me know if you need more info. What venue are you playing?

John

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    aight check it
    it looks like im goin to get my hipster on....

the final lineup

if you in cinci or surrounding areas, come through
    i cant speak for the the 2 other djs on board, but i know preme and i will be droppin some fire

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    eat some Skyline chili. check out Jungle Jim's, a stupidly huge international grocery store in Fairfield. Also The Party Source across the river in Newport, KY is a stupidly huge liquor store. Lemongrass in Hyde Park is good Thai, Aglamesis in Oakley has great ice cream and has been there for almost 100 years. For late night eats check out Shanghai Mama's downtown if you want good food, or The Anchor in Covington, KY if you want greasy spoon fare with some of the weirdest clientele you'll ever see.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

if your lookin for some good microbrew, check "BarrelHouse" off of Liberty.
    http://barrelhouse.malz.com/, 544-B West Liberty Street

damn don't you boyz from cinci have anything to offer to these dudes comin' to your town??

• john_doejohn_doe 237 Posts

damn don't you boyz from cinci have anything to offer to these dudes comin' to your town??

My bad, couldn't get my post on, I was at work...

Records:

Everybody's Records in P(leasant) Ridge, on Montgomery Road. Across the street is a comic book store (Queen City Comics) and across the street from that is a collectible toy store (The Earth)- lots of toys from the 70s and 80s...really dope shit there.
    Shake It Records in Northside is a good place, too, on Hamilton Avenue.

There are some flea markets on 71 North from Cincinnati (towards Columbus) and on 75 North from Cincinnati (towards Dayton) - but they don't always have records though. Vendors seem to rotate in and out a lot.

Eats:
    As mentioned before, Skyline Chili is a place you NEED to go if you've never been to Cincy (you can also check Gold Star Chili - also Cincinnati-style chili steez, but they have a more diverse menu - open-face chili burgers on garlic bread, Cincinnati Chili Dip, etc, etc...)

If you like ribs, I would recommend Montgomery Inn (mongtgomeryinn.com). There's one down on the river at the Boathouse, really good eats.

Pizza, I would recommend LaRosa's. They're all over the city. I took a couple of friends there from New York and they loved the pizza there.

Jungle Jim's (in Fairfield, north of Cincinnati, where 275 hits) is one of the largest international markets in the area, about 300,000 square feet of grocery store. A section for just about every country you can think of.

Gear:
    Not sure what you'd be looking for, they got 4 malls in the Cincinnati area, Northgate, Cincinnati Mills, Tri-County, and Kenwood Towne Center. Cincinnati Mills and Tri-County are OK, I don't get to the other malls that often. Kenwood is in a nicer part of town (closest one to Pleasant Ridge), prices there seem to be higher in general.

There are some sneaker shops in Clifton (near the University of Cincinnati), and a new sneaker boutique that I haven't made it to yet Asap Kicks- on Ludlow in Clifton, right in the Gaslight area (also near UC).

That's all I can think of now, I'll post again if I can think of more.

John

• clifton was the hipster area when i used to hang there; near the university, couple little store font shops there as of '01 when i last went shopping there.

don't know what everybody's is like now, but they used to sell hip hop for nothing; 'breaker 1/9' 12" & 'southernplayalistikcadillacmusik,' 12" for $1, among others. again, that was hace 6 anos, but it gets my recommendation.

And, SKYLINE is a MUST! try a coney with everything, and a four way onion.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    If you want the full hipster experience you gotta spend some time in Northside, check out Shake It and The Comet.

(that's not intended as a shot at Shake It, which is legitimately one of my favorite record stores in the whole world...if only they sold 45s...SIGH)

is the C&D Record Bar still open in Covington?

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    this page is getting printed. good looks

any of yall free during the day to roll through and kick it?

• edotedot 12 Posts
    well in cincy we don't have the most hipsters, which is good actually, but if you want some hipsterish places, check alchemize and the gypsy hut in northside, or clique across the rive in covington,ky, but sure hit me in my pm and we'll chat, being from the city we need some good dj's spinning here more frequent....

• edotedot 12 Posts
    c&d is still open, but it's on monmouth street in Newporty,Ky......word

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    Also link up with Chris Bergen if you're looking to buy records. He has some stuff and he can take you to this other dealer who'll have hipster dufus stuff galore.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    word up
    i was really really jokin about wanting to experience the hipster movement in full force. i think thursday night will be enough for me.

i am tryin to go diggin where i can get some of that funky stuff. do the stores listed got those kind of goods?
    someone holler with chris bergens contact on the pm tip. hopefully we dont need to learn a secret handshake to buy from dude. i have a bad memory when it comes to those things.

i appreciate all the help yall

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    it was interesting
    hipster rock is really interesting

john thanks for comin through and kickin it. hope you dug it

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    there was a good 45 spot called Parkers? outside the city somewhere