Daft Punk - Homework appreciation

2»

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I clicked on this thread thinking it was some sort of joke thread, unfortunately you guys seem to be serious, wake up dudes, this record sucks. Overrated top 40 dance by numbers, I am amazed this album is getting love.

I can understand that attitude about their albums from Discovery onwards but when Homework came out it was decidedly un top 40ish. This thread has made me want to check this album again. Speaking of French late 90's house, anyone remember the Super Discount series? That had some superb stuff on it.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    to anyone who says this is classic music. it is to me

bangalter trivia - thomas' dad was actually the guy behind O.T.T.O.W.A.N. and a pal of cerrones etc.. you could say that le french touch disco was in his blood

essential mix trivia - there is another essential mix I think - includes Joe Smooth - Promised Land, Lonnie Liston Smith - A Garden Of Peace - love that mix, it was an education for me

favourite "less well known" tracks - Ian Pooley - Chord Memory - Daft Punk remix (AV8), Scott Grooves - Mothership Reconnection - Daft Punk remix

peace

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    I clicked on this thread thinking it was some sort of joke thread, unfortunately you guys seem to be serious, wake up dudes, this record sucks. Overrated top 40 dance by numbers, I am amazed this album is getting love.

I can understand that attitude about their albums from Discovery onwards but when Homework came out it was decidedly un top 40ish. This thread has made me want to check this album again. Speaking of French late 90's house, anyone remember the Super Discount series? That had some superb stuff on it.

Got all 4 of those 10"es, much better than the Superdiscount 2 series.

essential mix trivia - there is another essential mix I think - includes Joe Smooth - Promised Land, Lonnie Liston Smith - A Garden Of Peace - love that mix, it was an education for me

Yeah that mix is nice as well, it was broadcasted on new years eve of 1998 I think, but this '97 mix captures the Homework sound more. They did another one hour set at radio 1 in 2001 which is pretty good.

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts
    damn homework i used to love that record, but somehow the next records by dp
    were really dissapointing to me,
    good live show too back then

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts

Yeah that mix is nice as well, it was broadcasted on new years eve of 1998 I think, but this '97 mix captures the Homework sound more. They did another one hour set at radio 1 in 2001 which is pretty good.

Nice one! Thanks for the info. It must have been New Years, my tape switches over to john peel towards the end.. drunken idiot

I liked it because of the retro section, where they explored some of those house classics (I was starting to get educated into jackin' house stuff around that time).. teaching it!

new movie looks good, thanks to the strutter that posted about it, i was unaware

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    if you guys like this filter disco shit its worth investigating where the sound originated... dj sneak, czr's "chicago southside," the whole chicago 2nd wave of house - http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Chicago's%20House%20Experience,%20Vol.%201:1921617203 is a good record i mentioned in the other thread

also kris menace is still doing shit in this 'french house' vein today, 'discopolis' and such

• classic fucking record

i like it more than discovery