CONNECTICUT HEADS--THRIFT/RECORD SPOTS?

axefoleyaxefoley 331 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
ANY CT HEADS? I'M GOING TO BE IN CT ON SATURDAY AND I'M LOOKING FOR SOME SPOTS....PROMFET TO BE EXACT....THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Comments

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Pomfret is in a remote section of CT to be sure. You'd have to drive a bit to find anything even slightly reasonable. The closest places where you MAY find something of slight interest would be the Salvation Armies in Putnam (Rt. 6 close to 395), Willimantic (Rt 195 near Rt. 6) and Norwich (Rt. 82 about a mile from 395 towards Norwich on the left). I believe that there is a music store in Danielson (very close to Pomfret) that sells some records. Sometimes there are records in the antique shops in Putnam.

If you're around on Sunday, there is a fun flea market in Jewett City in a huge abandoned factory. There are a couple of clueless record dealers (usually leaning towards higher prices) but you can scoop stuff occasionally. You go more for the human zoo element.

If you can make it down to New London, there is an antique shop with tons of vinyl (mostly shite) where things pop up now and again (last week a Monquito Santamaria, Duke Lumumba and others for a few bucks a piece). PM me if you want to head down here. There is also a decent shop in Mystic.

If you're willing to drive maybe an hour, you can hit up Integrity N Music in Wethersfield ... great jazz record store with very cheap prices. Nothing of exceptional rarity turns up very often, but you can always find quality jazz, soul and rock LPs and pay, at most, 6 or 7 bucks (usually closer to 3). Definitely one of my favorites (though I did grow up with the owner's son so I have a bias).

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    the goodwills tape ebay listings to the covers...no shit...not completed auctions, but insane buy it nows...saw some Jim Nabors ish for 20 bucks, in a goodwill.

the goodwills tape ebay listings to the covers...no shit...not completed auctions, but insane buy it nows...saw some Jim Nabors ish for 20 bucks, in a goodwill.

Crafty bastardos. And I was getting pissed when they started charging $2 for double LPs.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    in eastern pa. i quit going to this one thrift that started to put sticker tags on the actual grooves of the lps/45s.

they told me, "you can clean that off."

but that's one thing--i mean--if it was a stark reality record where they put a sticker on you'd be really pissed--but you wouldn't pass it up.

but another thing is when goodwill's of all places start to put jim neighbors lps up for 20 bucks!

what's up with that?

YES!

Oh hell yes ... Gary is THE source in CT. He gets at least $100 every time I enter that place. (a bit far from Pomfret ... but if dude wants to truck for a couple of hours that place is WELL worth it).

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts

YES!

Oh hell yes ... Gary is THE source in CT. He gets at least $100 every time I enter that place. (a bit far from Pomfret ... but if dude wants to truck for a couple of hours that place is WELL worth it).

where is Pomfret?

sounds like bread

i rarely go north of Stratford

or northeast

or whatever

beyond New Haven simply gives me the creeps

for no reason at all

where is Pomfret?

sounds like bread

northeast CT. we're talkin' country here. horses. farms. and, yes, bread.

• axefoleyaxefoley 331 Posts
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE INFO...I REALLY APPRECIATE IT.

I'M DOING A GIG AT TYRONE FARM IN A OLD BARN THAT PUTS ON LIVE MUSIC FRIDAY NITE..
    IF ANY CT HEADS ARE IN THE AREA PLEASE COME THROUGH!

ALWAYS DOWN FOR TRADES TOO.

THANKS AGAIN

KEITH

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts
    don't waste your time looking for records in CT. it's a lot of driving for minimal (if any return). integrity music is ok...prices are cheap but you have to go there every other day for 2 years before you dig up something that's worth all the gas you've spent to get there. and i think that pretty much sums up CT. there's "records & things" down the road but it's the same story. mystic has an ok spot, but it's the same story. and nothing is that cheap. forget about new haven unless you make it out to that spot in east haven...can't remember the name to save my life...but inventory rotation is slow, if ever. unless you're into dancehall 45's and want to get deep into hartford. i can give you a spot. but that shit is hairy once the sun goes down.
    there was a spot in waterford a long time ago...something with "rings" in the name. shit had fire a long time ago. go only if you have absolutely nothing else to do for the next 6 hours and don't mind returning emptyhanded. otherwise enjoy what you can of CT and worry about digging for records elsewhere.

I'M DOING A GIG AT TYRONE FARM IN A OLD BARN THAT PUTS ON LIVE MUSIC FRIDAY NITE..
    IF ANY CT HEADS ARE IN THE AREA PLEASE COME THROUGH!

I was actually thinking of checking that out. Perhaps I will.