Alice Russell v Tornadoes Tyra Hammond: AK, NZ

doughboydoughboy 190 Posts
edited April 2007 in Announcements
Not so much a battle of the soul sisters as a trans-hemisphere music-meld.Alice Russell with TM Juke (5 piece UK band) with support from The Tornadoes & Tyra Hammond (7 piece NZ band / www.myspace.com/tornadeostyra).DJs: Gene Rivers, Dunc Tha Funk and Manny B Opium / Queen St (Auck)April 12thfrom 9pm Presales from Conch / Groovy etc

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Man. This looks fun, hope my stomach surgery heals in time to go.

• doughboydoughboy 190 Posts
    Bump - couple of days to go. Conch have sold out of their ticket allotment. Real Groovy have some left... DON'T take your chances on the door, you might miss out altogether.

Don't forget the after party with DJ Mu & TM Juke on the 1s & 2s

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Don't think I'll be back for this, looks great though

• Match report?

• doughboydoughboy 190 Posts
    Got off to a horrible start on three counts...

1) The weather was SHITE... pissing with rain the whole day. Lugging gear into the venue, inc the poor old Rhodes which got dropped a few times and will probably never be the same again.

2) The venue owner / manager was a twat. Yelled and screamed at me becasue I'd taken the lid from said Rhodes and tucked it side of stage for easy pack down... C*ck Smoker reckoned he'd dropped $2 Mill fitting out thejoint and there was no way it was going to be left looking like shit by a bunch of musicians ... the hate in his voice when he said 'musicians' was palpable, promoting out guitar player to have a go which in turn prompted Mr Bar Owner to try and push him around. Maybe he was on meth? Either was - KNOB

3) The Tornadoes we're ropy to start with. Dunno what the deal was - we got freaked by the stage - there was frikkin great big pillar in the middle whcih meant one side of the band couldn't actually see the other. Thankfully we got it together by the end of our set.

Anyway, on to Alice.

She killed it. Pure and simple. Sure she's not Sharon Jones, but come on... she entertains like no other, totally charmed the crowd and had everyone in the palm of her hand after about 4 tunes. She totally killed 7 Nation Army + Fly In My Hand + Hurry On... The band were on point too. Loads of drama and peaks / mood swings - and in a country like NZ anyone who can bring 600 odd punter out to venue they'd never been to, on cold shitty night for $60 a head gets a pat on the back.

And she and the band we're totally down to earth and fun to hang with...

• dude - sounds like a stressful affair, glad it all came together in the end - great numbers too for a funk show in Auckland, the swelling popularity is nuts, I wonder if we'll see Sharon Jones or Breakestra back for a BDO tour before too long!?!