Joy Division Kicks

bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central

Comments

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    This seems to be all the rage these days, rock band sneaks:

Dinosaur Jr. Dunks

Melvins Dunks

• I thought this thread was going to be about producer Martin Hannett's drum set recording techniques.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Hold on, this isn't an April Fool's joke? I saw that Hypebeast page (dated April 2nd) and the link to Crooked Tongues, and I thought, "I bet Crooked Tongues posted this the day before..."

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    I know someone who works for NB - asked them for the truth, awiat reply / free sample...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    No they're for real. I would laugh and consider them fucking stupid as hell, except for the fact they are some of the nicest sneakers I have seen in a long long time.

• Colors should be reversed. Goth dudes rockin' all white sneakers? Never.

SONIC

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    this is just weird

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    they are surprisingly understated and subtle.

whoever thought this up must be from the band's history?

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

unless by making them they were trying to get people to hang themselves.

• whoever thought this up must be from the band's history?

"Guys, I think we're gonna need thicker laces."

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    i bet they can sell more sneakers than Shaq.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

"Guys, I think we're gonna need thicker laces."

from a design standpoint the UP cover/package is top of the game. don't even get me started on the sound quality of that record. probably in my top five evar.

that said, those shoes are still fucking dumb.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    oh and here go your ian curtis shoes:

oh and here go your ian curtis shoes:

With the laces missing, of course...

I like these NB kicks, they have retro lines to them and I was a big NB fan in the 80s. Like Nike and Adidas, I think the designs from the last 10 years, maybe more, are just OTT, apart from re-issues. Just too fussy and garish IMHO. OG 990s and Adidas ZXZ Nylons are where I am coming from.

Word from my contact at NB is that these are just a mock-up:

"***** got approached about 8 months ago by a customiser who wanted to work with us for a tribute to Joy Division, Factory Records, Hacienda nightclub etc

I love all that stuff so sent him a pair of white 576's to work on, but said it would never be sold in store as we don't do co branding collabs, but could be an opportunity to do a auction event for some PR in one of our Manchester Tier 1 stores.

When ***** confirmed they couldn't sell it, they basically weren't happy, and have now touted it about online and in store as their project

All a bit naughty, but a bit of free PR at the end of the day - worked well with the Versus Cancer gig last Friday in Manc

Says a lot about the mad state of the online hype machines, Tier 1 retailers, and the very differing opinions from the trainer heads on the likes of the CT forums...."

Also heard good things about the Versus Cancer gig too. Didn't know that Tony Wilson was suffering from kidney cancer. I've met him a few times and he's always been much nicer than he comes across in the media. Good luck Tony.