Extreme pitch; -8 through +8 thoughts...

GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
Do you do this? Always? Sometimes? Never?I personally am scared to go past -4 because I feel it distorts too much. Fuck a chipmunk and Darth Vader.~gNAT

Comments

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    ill do +6.5 and no lower than -2
    instrumental songs ill go further in each direction though

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    shiiiiiiiiiiit, some shit sounds much better +d or -d up. it can turn those goofy rock moments into pure hiphop fire. at least try it out..

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    I generally listen to everything at 45 +8 ... I take lots of pills and sit in my room alone though so that may have an influence in my listening habits.

fuck is it April 2nd already?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Two words: key lock.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    shiiiiiiiiiiit, some shit sounds much better +d or -d up. it can turn those goofy rock moments into pure hiphop fire. at least try it out..

I guess that's it--some songs it works on and some it doesn't. I just saw this DJ the other night and he put "I Wish" up to +8 and it sounded sooo retarded I stopped dancing. I could also tell he was using low bit rate .mp3s. Maybe this is the danger of being a DJ, but shit, this guy didn't even care about pitch or levels. All treble, distortion, and high pitch pretty much fucked up the set--that and he though he could scratch over every dance song and that we would care. I dig scratching and all--but pretty much not a minute straight on the dance floor unless it's some really clever shit. Ahhhh man.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts

Microwave gots this? Am I latepassin it and sleepy?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Microwave gots this? Am I latepassin it and sleepy?

Dude, hells yeah. In the new software version, you can key lock in all three modes. Shit is looooovely though obviously, if you're doing double speed, you'll get some digitizing distortion but it works pretty well within a reasonable range.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    there are quite a few 45s of strictly raw drums that sound perfect when pitched to plus 8 at 33.

blend tools. fill your bag up.

• undrealundreal 29 Posts
    Any KISS record at -4 or -6....

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

no shit right? These Numarks can do -+50% and I find myself exploiting that capacity a bit too much!

Seriously, +6 seems to be the magic zone. Never pitch down funk.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    It depends on the record, you know... you definitly dont wanna be speeding up no A Tribe Called Quest shit... Q-Tip already is on that Alvin sheeeit....

Yes, Microwave Key Lock is that shit .... but the higher you go the quality diminishes!

peace.

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts
    vicodin and neil young S/T at minus 8.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    It depends on the record, you know... you definitly dont wanna be speeding up no A Tribe Called Quest shit... Q-Tip already is on that Alvin sheeeit....

Yes, Microwave Key Lock is that shit .... but the higher you go the quality diminishes!

peace.

"Can I kick it" up to +6.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    The first thing to do during my drum & bass DJ days was to adjust the pitch at least at +6.

however, some dudes usually came up to the dj booth after a couple of tracks and complained about the slow music.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    vicodin and neil young S/T at minus 8.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    The first thing to do during my drum & bass DJ days was to adjust the pitch at least at +6.

however, some dudes usually came up to the dj booth after a couple of tracks and complained about the slow music.

A lot of drum'n'bass 45 rpm 12-inches sound just as banging on 33.

I'll fuck with the tempo of every record if necessary as long as it sounds good. That means no "I Wish" on +8, that's just stupid.

Isn't there a simple mod you can do with the regular 1200s/1210s? I think there's a potentiometer somewhere inside that allows you to widen the pitch range pretty drastically. Never tried it myself, but somebody told me about it.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Isn't there a simple mod you can do with the regular 1200s/1210s? I think there's a potentiometer somewhere inside that allows you to widen the pitch range pretty drastically. Never tried it myself, but somebody told me about it.

http://music.hyperreal.org/dj/sl1200.html#5.1

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Thanks, PP. I had that one bookmarked years ago, but lost the URL later. I think that's where I read about it.

• fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts
    78 rpm + 10 + 50% super pitch.. i use this for sampling to my mpc, then i pitch it down again on the mpc. saves a lot of sampling/storing space, plus it sounds rugged.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    the only record I PITCH TO THE EXTREEEEEEME is Dave Pike "Soul Eggs"...I pitch it all the way down, because that shit is way too hyper and fast for a bar full of folks, but pitched down to -8 it swings like hell and the fuzz guitar gets real tough...I normally dont change the pitch of anything, but with that 45, it is a must.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Winfield Parker 'Shake that thing' on Arctic always gets played + 8

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    i can't remember the last time i dj'd where every song below 120 bpm wasn't pitched up by at least +1 (even if i had to mix it in at a slightly slower pitch, i always end up gradually speeding it up).

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

On good monitors you can hear the compression or time stretching, especially stuff with horns.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Hahaha, true! I've caught myself playing ATCQ records pitched way up, and Q-Tip quickly turns into Magoo (who I just signed for $10 and he's mad at you).

It definitely depends on the record, but seeing as how I prefer playing fast to playing slow, I pitch things up (even up to +8 with some instrumental stuff) without thinking too much about it, but I don't like slowing things down too much. Not that I refuse to do it, but if I'm in the mix, and the record I'm trying to beatmatch has to be pitched down to -4, I'll usually just pick a different record.