If the only "new" hip-hop i like nowadays is...

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
... Ghostface, MF Doom, The Clipse, Devin the dude, Outkast, Jay-Z, Kanye West, Dilla, Pharoah Monch and Sean P - does that make me a hipster or an aging backpacker? Or just plain old I mean there's been other singles here and there- but the above are the only artists that I've been checking for the last 5+ years. Can anyone else relate?

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I hear you bro.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Yeah.

There is plenty of other exciting music coming out right now though. 07' should be a good year for new sounds. I ain't mad.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Yeah, I know what you're saying, the issue is that there are a lot of great independent artists out there who have solid stuff, but very few (PUTS, Ugly Duckling, Lyrics Born, Crown City, etc.) have been able to put out records that really give the older stuff a run for the money. Or if they do, a lot of them go in different directions and get labeled not hip-hop enough, or too different. There are a lot of reasons/excuses for this, but I'm with Pony, times are changing and 07 looks good.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    ... Ghostface, MF Doom, The Clipse, Devin the dude, Outkast, Jay-Z, Kanye West, Dilla, Pharoah Monch and Sean P - does that make me a hipster or an aging backpacker? Or just plain old

I mean there's been other singles here and there- but the above are the only artists that I've been checking for the last 5+ years. Can anyone else relate?

I don't think that makes you old - most of those artists are older, sure, but they're making good music in the present (well, ok, maybe not Jay-Z) so it's not like you're sitting at home, just listening to "Only Built" and "The Infamous" all day.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    Yeah.

There is plenty of other exciting music coming out right now though. 07' should be a good year for new sounds. I ain't mad.

i'm down with the new sounds- i'm strictly speaking hip-hop. I'm glad i'm not alone.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    There's too many good rap artists out there just to be limiting yourself to just 10 of them.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    There's too many good rap artists out there just to be limiting yourself to just 10 of them.

• Yeah, I know what you're saying, the issue is that there are a lot of great independent artists out there who have solid stuff, but very few (PUTS, Ugly Duckling, Lyrics Born, Crown City, etc.) have been able to put out records that really give the older stuff a run for the money. Or if they do, a lot of them go in different directions and get labeled not hip-hop enough, or too different. There are a lot of reasons/excuses for this, but I'm with Pony, times are changing and 07 looks good.

I don't know ,these are the kind of artist generally dislike. The " I still chop breaks on the SP 1200, So what I'm White and never spent and really in in the hood" crowd bores me. I rather listen to Jada or Sigel spit about gun play. I do like Murs though.

hahaha. peace, stein. . .

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Yeah, I know what you're saying, the issue is that there are a lot of great independent artists out there who have solid stuff, but very few (PUTS, Ugly Duckling, Lyrics Born, Crown City, etc.) have been able to put out records that really give the older stuff a run for the money. Or if they do, a lot of them go in different directions and get labeled not hip-hop enough, or too different. There are a lot of reasons/excuses for this, but I'm with Pony, times are changing and 07 looks good.

I don't know ,these are the kind of artist generally dislike. The " I still chop breaks on the SP 1200, So what I'm White and never spent and really in in the hood" crowd bores me. I rather listen to Jada or Sigel spit about gun play. I do like Murs though.

hahaha. peace, stein. . .

haha no shit. Funny stuff.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    it's not like you're sitting at home, just listening to "Only Built" and "The Infamous" all day.

dude that hurts.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    it's not like you're sitting at home, just listening to "Only Built" and "The Infamous" all day.

dude that hurts.

What's pretty funny is I have been bumping Infamous in the shop and Only Built at the gym... so BUSTED right now haha

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    these days i'd rather listen to infamous than half of the artists he listed, but i still like lots of new rap

• Yeah, I know what you're saying, the issue is that there are a lot of great independent artists out there who have solid stuff, but very few (PUTS, Ugly Duckling, Lyrics Born, Crown City, etc.) have been able to put out records that really give the older stuff a run for the money. Or if they do, a lot of them go in different directions and get labeled not hip-hop enough, or too different. There are a lot of reasons/excuses for this, but I'm with Pony, times are changing and 07 looks good.

I don't know ,these are the kind of artist generally dislike. The " I still chop breaks on the SP 1200, So what I'm White and never spent any real time in the hood" crowd bores me. I rather listen to Jada or Sigel spit about gun play. I do like Murs though.

Oh wow, we're white because we still buy records, sample and scratch. And to think we've put up with all this discrimination for nothing! god dammit why didn't someone tell me before! SHIT!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    perhaps you should spend more time in the hood with your gun!

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    ... Ghostface, MF Doom, The Clipse, Devin the dude, Outkast, Jay-Z, Kanye West, Dilla, Pharoah Monch and Sean P - does that make me a hipster or an aging backpacker?

That's an old man list ..

Kanye and The Clipse are the only artist on that list young people pay any attention

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I don't know ,these are the kind of artist generally dislike. The " I still chop breaks on the SP 1200, So what I'm White and never spent any real time in the hood" crowd bores me. I rather listen to Jada or Sigel spit about gun play. I do like Murs though.

Oh wow, we're white because we still buy records, sample and scratch. And to think we've put up with all this discrimination for nothing! god dammit why didn't someone tell me before! SHIT!

Welcome to your worst nightmare: honky-dom! Muahahahahahaha!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    its funny how for some folks sampling has done a total 180 to representing 'whiteness' in music

... Ghostface, MF Doom, The Clipse, Devin the dude, Outkast, Jay-Z, Kanye West, Dilla, Pharoah Monch and Sean P - does that make me a hipster or an aging backpacker?

That's an old man list ..

Kanye and The Clipse are the only artist on that list young people pay any attention

Yeah that's what I thought- but i'm not even so sure about the clipse?

these days i'd rather listen to infamous than half of the artists he listed, but i still like lots of new rap

like who? serioously i'm curious.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

like who? serioously i'm curious.

what rap have i been into lately?

young buck, boss hogg outlawz, black milk, 8ball and mjg (well, a few cuts on the recent one), new swizz single (want to bet the new swizz > new timbaland?), B.G. and chopper city boyz has some joints on it, Prodigy, fat joe, black sheep, playing catchup on Twisted Black since I didn't know his old shit really, that Chamillionaire mixtape from January, leaked tracks from this upcoming ugk, curren$y and mack maine mixtapes. + rapid ric's whut it dew 4. Some tracks on that grand hustle tape from jan.

still listening to killer mike and the birdman/lil wayne from last year.

• bubor0ckbubor0ck 141 Posts
    at the risk of sounding really lazy, it would be great if deej or someone real up on the raps would put together a list (or better yet a ysi pack) of some of their favorite tracks from the past year.

between work, my own tracks, and looking back for the most part rather than forward (other than dance music and some rock) i just do not have the time to wade through tonnes and tonnes of rap albums/mixtapes. it is simply not a priority but i'd like to not lose touch completely--pretty near that by now.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Ghostface, MF Doom, The Clipse, Devin the dude, Outkast, Jay-Z, Kanye West, Dilla, Pharoah Monch and Sean P

i still listen to devin, dilla and that pharoahe mixtape was pretty good.
    i think if i give it more of a chance maybe i'll get into sean p but i kind of waved it off as okayplayerfodder

young buck, boss hogg outlawz, black milk, 8ball and mjg (well, a few cuts on the recent one), new swizz single (want to bet the new swizz > new timbaland?), B.G. and chopper city boyz has some joints on it, Prodigy, fat joe, black sheep, playing catchup on Twisted Black since I didn't know his old shit really, that Chamillionaire mixtape from January, leaked tracks from this upcoming ugk, curren$y and mack maine mixtapes. + rapid ric's whut it dew 4. Some tracks on that grand hustle tape from jan.

still listening to killer mike and the birdman/lil wayne from last year.

ok cool- thanks man. I'll check some of this- but I've heard a lot of this stuff - and i'm not that into it. Might be an age thing (31) - but i'm thinking from your list above it might be kind of a regional thing. I think B.G. and Wayne are dope- but only in doses.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Devin the Dude - She Useta Be
    Tum Tum - Caprice Musik
    Twisted Black - Fool Wit It
    KB da Kidnappa, Trae & Z-Ro - Woodgrain Grippin'
    Trae & Z-Ro - No Help
    Trae - Real Talk
    Bun B, Z-Ro, Young Jeezy & Z-Ro - Get Throwed

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

KB da Kidnappa, Trae & Z-Ro - Woodgrain Grippin'
    yeah cosign all the ones harvey listed, tho i think aside from 'real talk' and devin they're all on that rapid ric? when i heard woodgrain grippin it was a jawdrop moment

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    full body tats = time spent in the hood

• one of the biggest songs this year is a sample:

throw some d's on it.

gtfoohwtbs dudes

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    On the ladies side of things, Perseph1 and Voice are worth checking out.

There's a lot of good and bad indie stuff, I don't even want to say "underground" anymore because people get into the technical side of what defines "underground". I just reviewed this crew out of San Diego called TheBREAX.