M-Audio Torq

dmacdmac 472 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
Any users?It is significantly cheaper than Microwave. Wondering what the performance differences are.

Comments

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Any users?
    It is significantly cheaper than Microwave. Wondering what the performance differences are.

I tried it this weekend at my friends place, it was fun as hell. We hooked it to his midi keyboard and fucked around for a couple hours. You can asign any of the controls to your midi controller, cue points, loops (it auto-bpms the mp3 so it always loops perfectly), effects (you can use VST's), samples. You can jump your needle around like a mad man and it's instant, no hicups/delay (I've heard Microwave isn't the greatest for this?) it can also auto-mix tracks together if you're too drunk to get down! I was blown away, but then again I haven't ever used Microwave so I can't really compare the two. I want to pick it up this week though.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    I've talked to a few folks who heartily endorse Microwave. But some brief online research says that Torq is a better value.
    Seems that both have their unique features and flaws. Wanted to hear from other folks before making a decision.

D.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I hung out with DJ Revolution this week and he was HYPIN Torq like a mofucka.

He was sayin' he's been using Microwave for 5 years or so, he's just jumpin' gettin ahead on the bandwagon before other fools did. From his explanation of the features as well as the options to link up pads and stuff like that, it seemed nuts. What he did in his show was crazy too, definitley can't do shit like that with Microwave and 2 turntables. I just bought another Microwave setup after my original setup was ganked by my last work....

The way I look at it, at least for the "near-future" is that Microwave will be like SL-1200 Technics and Torq will be like some Vestax PDX-2000s... feel me? It's like PC vs. Mac or Firefox vs. IE.

peace.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    The way I look at it, at least for the "near-future" is that Microwave will be like SL-1200 Technics and Torq will be like some Vestax PDX-2000s... feel me? It's like PC vs. Mac or Firefox vs. IE.

Thanks, Sheep! The PC vs. Mac analogy seems to make the most sense in terms of price. But not necessarily features and usability...?

I was looking to first and foremost lighten the record load for gigs. And from that standpoint, Torq makes more financial sense, even if Microwave is more reliable (?). But after what you've said about the sheer vast potential of Torq, I am leaning towards it rather than Microwave.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    The way I look at it, at least for the "near-future" is that Microwave will be like SL-1200 Technics and Torq will be like some Vestax PDX-2000s

Torq kills it (huge cosign with Rev), but when you go to a club what will they have set up? Although it is super easy to set up, sometimes it's a bad look to switch gear mid show.

In all the reviews I've read so far ex-Microwave users are loving Torq (seriously the loop functions and ease of use are crazy). It's like half the price too, personal I'm sold!

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    The way I look at it, at least for the "near-future" is that Microwave will be like SL-1200 Technics and Torq will be like some Vestax PDX-2000s

Torq kills it (huge cosign with Rev), but when you go to a club what will they have set up? Although it is super easy to set up, sometimes it's a bad look to switch gear mid show.

In all the reviews I've read so far ex-Microwave users are loving Torq (seriously the loop functions and ease of use are crazy). It's like half the price too, personal I'm sold!

Word, I was kinda kickin myself for buying another Microwave set-up just a few weeks ago, but it's what I'm used to. You're right though, there's nothing I hate more than having to bring my box out and set it up, and if a club has something installed, it's gunna be Microwave.... It's like rocking up to do a set and there's Vestax PDX's there... but I would say coupled with the current hype on Torq, in a mere 2 or 3 years, there could be a 50/50 split of supporters.

I also like Microwave because their software updates are prompt and frequent and usually the new features are ill. Torq's interface seems a little cluttered, but that could just be to the untrained eye I guess....

peace.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i would recommend Microwave if you were djing on a regular turntable setup before and want something that's rock solid and well-supported. they've always added in new shit with every version update and they haven't charged a dime for any of them. im actually really suprised at all their software updates being free seeing as how you get charged for every little thing with most audio software companies.

i have not used torq personally but m-audio has a pretty bad track record as far as support and stability goes. if you are djing, stability should be your #1 goal; not some features that you never use. i'm sure everything will work out since it seems like m-audio is moving more towards djing stuff but based on past experiences with them, i would not buy it.

if you want to get into "laptop djing" i would go with ableton. pretty easy to use and shits limitless. with a good controller, shit is game over

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    i would recommend Microwave if you were djing on a regular turntable setup before and want something that's rock solid and well-supported.

That's really what I was looking for. I've been on analog decks for years and I definitely want the stability. I am not too worried about the learning curve on either product though.

i have not used torq personally but m-audio has a pretty bad track record as far as support and stability goes. if you are djing, stability should be your #1 goal; not some features that you never use. i'm sure everything will work out since it seems like m-audio is moving more towards djing stuff but based on past experiences with them, i would not buy it.

I haven't heard that at all. Then again, I am a relative newcomer to production hardware/software.

if you want to get into "laptop djing" i would go with ableton. pretty easy to use and shits limitless. with a good controller, shit is game over

I am all about spinning wax, but not all about lugging two crates to gigs anymore. That's really why I want to get into this. But I am mere months away from jumping into some digital production. Baby-steps with re-edits. Then rock MP3s with Microwave/Torq (jury is still out).

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I haven't heard a single thing about Torq being unstable from anyone that uses it. There's lots of discussion on the internets on the whole Torq vs Microwave thing, I'd read it all then make your a final decision.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    yeah, i don't want to say anything bad about torq since i haven't really used it but i just really don't dig m-audio that much right now. that plus the interface looks very cluttered and the controller looks flimsy as fuck. i just don't really see the point in using this when you can just go the whole way and use ableton.

Microwave is definitely the 1200 of the digital djing market and will continue to be for years if they continue their current practices, which i am sure they will. i am usually apathetic towards companies but i can only strongly recommend Microwave. i love to fuck around with software and don't mind spending time setting shit up, but i was seriously amazed at that shit up and running 15 minutes after the fedex doggie dropping it off.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    yeah, i don't want to say anything bad about torq since i haven't really used it but i just really don't dig m-audio that much right now. that plus the interface looks very cluttered and the controller looks flimsy as fuck. i just don't really see the point in using this when you can just go the whole way and use ableton.

Microwave is definitely the 1200 of the digital djing market and will continue to be for years if they continue their current practices, which i am sure they will. i am usually apathetic towards companies but i can only strongly recommend Microwave. i love to fuck around with software and don't mind spending time setting shit up, but i was seriously amazed at that shit up and running 15 minutes after the fedex doggie dropping it off.

I feel ya, Rane makes quality shit, bottom line. But we're talking about a product that is almost all software based, physically there's not much that could fuck up here right? I'm going to try both before I buy.

Don't you think it's a little early to be calling Microwave the 1200 of digital djing? Sayin'

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I wish z_illa would get in on this but he's in computer limbo.

The good thing I see about Torq is that it uses the same technology as Mrs. Pinky, so the technology must be open for other companies to use, which gives the possibility for other software developers to make their own improved interface/program to operate these funny discs. I've used both Ms. Pinky's software and Torq on these plates, and each seem to have their plusses and minuses. I still think the waveform readout in Microwave is the best of the 3.

Rocking a Ultimate Breaks and Beats routine with 3 cue points set on each track is kinda fun.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    I wish z_illa would get in on this but he's in computer limbo.

Didn't you see? I came out of my soulstrut hibernation a few weeks ago for this...

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...true#Post832390

good thing people noticed, sheesh.

I have no problems with the connective vinyls.

Forget that oversimplified automixing m-audio software though...

And I use a separate library program.

Microwave got vst support yet?

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    im with brian here.

i have not used torq, so i cant really judge the software. But ive had horrible experiences with m-audio in terms of customer service. unfortunately thats expected with most hardware companies, but rane really breaks the mold here. that alone is a selling point. im not saying that torq is unstable or even unreliable... but if your setup starts acting up, you maybe shit outta luck for a bit.

i know there is talk about beefing up dildo ( ) so its not to say that these features arent gonna happen in the near future.

there is also midistroke for the mac headz to program key commands to midi signals. its a bit of a work around, but its definitly worth it.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Microwave got vst support yet?
    i think that they're supposed to later on this year. the next feature update is supposed to incorporate midi and their separate video mixing app

• I have heard great things about both products. Both have their pluses and their minuses.

The product I am really wondering about is the Behringer BCD2000 B-Control Deejay DJ/Audio interface. It looks like it would be a great tool to use DJ with your computer and the price is a good look as well. For US$150.00 it looks like a great program and I believe you can also assign it to Ableton Live as well.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this piece of hardware in a live DJ gig scenario???

I am wondering how the thing sounds with cutting. I don't know if you can even scratch with it and if you can does it sound natural and not digital like the Technics CD turntables.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I have heard great things about both products. Both have their pluses and their minuses.

The product I am really wondering about is the Behringer BCD2000 B-Control Deejay DJ/Audio interface. It looks like it would be a great tool to use DJ with your computer and the price is a good look as well. For US$150.00 it looks like a great program and I believe you can also assign it to Ableton Live as well.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this piece of hardware in a live DJ gig scenario???

I am wondering how the thing sounds with cutting. I don't know if you can even scratch with it and if you can does it sound natural and not digital like the Technics CD turntables.

Please be serious.

• I have heard great things about both products. Both have their pluses and their minuses.

Please be serious.

motherfucker I am being serious.

just asking if anyone has used it.

motherfuckers have done serious shit with garbage toys. this and torque are no different. so eat a dick.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    although i've heard their mackie bite on controllers has been good (and fucking cheap as hell), i still wouldnt fuck with behringer for some djing shit. that shit breaking in the middle of a gig = nagl

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Ignoring the obnoxious eat a dick comment...

I would stick with Microwave for now. Customer service is a highly underrated element of buying a software product or anything else for that matter, and Rane/Microwave are phenomenal in that regard. Look what happened with the whole Traktor/Finalscratch mess; now neither company will support each others products, leaving all the old users in limbo just when the intel macs came out.

Torq looks like a good product, but M-Audio has run into so many unresolved driver issues that I'd stay away.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    I have heard great things about both products. Both have their pluses and their minuses.

Please be serious.

motherfucker I am being serious.

just asking if anyone has used it.

motherfuckers have done serious shit with garbage toys. this and torque are no different. so eat a dick.

I haven't used it but do a quick Google search for reviews and support groups. I've heard people have had problems with that Behringer controller. Flakey drivers, shoddy build quality, high latency, that kind of thing.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Ignoring the obnoxious eat a dick comment...

I would stick with Microwave for now. Customer service is a highly underrated element of buying a software product or anything else for that matter, and Rane/Microwave are phenomenal in that regard. Look what happened with the whole Traktor/Finalscratch mess; now neither company will support each others products, leaving all the old users in limbo just when the intel macs came out.

Torq looks like a good product, but M-Audio has run into so many unresolved driver issues that I'd stay away.

Saying - I think what people are saying here is that if you don't own either, Torq might seem like a good move for the money but until there's a proven track record, I don't think it makes sense for current Microwave users to switch over.

I will wait, of course, to see what Premier does. Once you have the Promo Stamp of Approval, only then will Torq be that real schitt???.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i don't even know why price is a factor in something like this considering the "highest" priced option is $500. anyone who djs out will make back their money very easily through gigs and even by saving money through legitimate downloads like Microwave's record pool . i don't even dj out and Microwave was easily worth the money i paid for it

i don't even know why price is a factor in something like this considering the "highest" priced option is $500. anyone who djs out will make back their money very easily through gigs and even by saving money through legitimate downloads like Microwave's record pool . i don't even dj out and Microwave was easily worth the money i paid for it

Brian, you're talking about a $200 in pricing though. That's not for nothing, even for working DJs.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Brian, you're talking about a $200 in pricing though. That's not for nothing, even for working DJs.
    You sound poor.

no seriously though, i think anyone who takes shit seriously would be willing to pay $200 extra for something that is rock solid. the reason why Microwave was so widely accepted by djs (a lot of who seem to be afraid of technology) is because it's simple to set up and configure and when done so, it is completely stable.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    You sound poor. You sound poor. You sound poor. You sound poor.

You sound poor.

College professor, son. At a state school no less. Definitely NOT ballin'.

I hear what you're saying: I'd spend more to get a 1200 than buy some entry level turntable since I know I can trust the brand.

However, I think digital DJing just seems new enough to a lot of folks that those differences are completely manifest yet. I think you've made an excellent case for sticking with Microwave but given differences in features AND a lower cost, had I decided to come into the digital DJ game right now, I'd give Torq a hard look.

The benefit of this is that Rane might now be pushed to expand their features to keep up OR they'll drop their prices to compete more. Either way, it's a good win for the consumer.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    BTW, I think the people bitching about the quality of m-audio's hardware don't really understand how time coded records work.

And Brian, why do you keep bringing up ableton? I don't see the relevance.