HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARVIN GAYE !!!

HairyBelafonteHairyBelafonte 1,202 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
Happy Birthday to one of the Greatest, he would be 68 years young today.Which of today's (and yesterday's) greats wouldn't be around if it weren't for this man right here:

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Happy Birthday Mr.Gaye

The Game Changer.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Happy Birthday Mr.Gaye

The Game Life Changer.

GOAT.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Happy Birthday to one of the most amazing artists of all time, who still doesn't recieve proper recognition, as the pop culture machine just plays sexual healing over and over. One of the saddest early deaths of the 20th century.

Happy Birthday to one of the most amazing artists of all time, who still doesn't recieve proper recognition, as the pop culture machine just plays sexual healing over and over. One of the saddest early deaths of the 20th century.

Local Black Exp radio still plays his stuff.

• Happy Birthday to one of the most amazing artists of all time, who still doesn't recieve proper recognition, as Dreamgirls rewrites history and makes James Brown and Marvin Gaye the same person who dies of a heroin overdose. One of the saddest Movies of the 21st century. [/b]

Here My Dear is one of the greatest albums ever made IMO period. Happy Birthday MG, your spirit still roams the area around Chabelita. GOAT.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Here My Dear is one of the greatest albums ever made IMO period.

Hands down end of story.
    Even after a decade of listening to it I still hear something new every time. His harmonizing alone takes repeated, focused listening just to begin to understand what's going on.

Hands down end of story.
    Even after a decade of listening to it I still hear something new every time. His harmonizing alone takes repeated, focused listening just to begin to understand what's going on.

I was discussing music w/ a cat who was little older than me. He asked me what's the greatest Marvin Gaye album. He thought I would go w/ the General Consensus Pick - What's Goin On/Let's Get It On. But I had to drop Here My Dear on 'em and he was impressed.
    People slept on that LP when it came out, and most regular folks dont even know what it is.
    Motown needs to seriously Deluxe this shit. Do some articles about it and promote it like a mofo.

A Funky Space Reincarnation

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Hands down end of story.

I was discussing music w/ a cat who was little older than me. He asked me what's the greatest Marvin Gaye album. He thought I would go w/ the General Consensus Pick - What's Goin On/Let's Get It On. But I had to drop Here My Dear on 'em and he was impressed.
    People slept on that LP when it came out, and most regular folks dont even know what it is.
    Motown needs to seriously Deluxe this shit. Do some articles about it and promote it like a mofo.

That record was a flop when it came out. If you listen to it and think of what was happening in music at the time, it really didn't have a place. That's probably what makes it timeless. It was just pure and from the heart. I don't think he cared if it sold or not considering Anna was getting the majority of the money.

The whole background behind the record is a story unto itself. I'm sure they could easily make a deluxe CD set with detailed liner notes. I would pay loot for that.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    On a side note, can you imagine how awkward that shit must have been to turn in?

"Hey Berry, here's a record I made about your sister."

Hands down end of story.

That record was a flop when it came out. If you listen to it and think of what was happening in music at the time, it really didn't have a place. That's probably what makes it timeless. It was just pure and from the heart. I don't think he cared if it sold or not considering Anna was getting the majority of the money.

The whole background behind the record is a story unto itself. I'm sure they could easily make a deluxe CD set with detailed liner notes. I would pay loot for that.

No doubt Id pay $$$ for that too.

What was happening in music in '78 too deem this "out of place"? Just wondering. Motown was becoming eclipsed by new acts? Rick James keeping them afloat in the public eye? Chic? HMD is pretty much R&B/Disco/Funk w/ the concept twist.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I Want You is one of the best albums i've ever heard in my life

here my dear is a close #2

can't really listen to let's get it on much any more,
    whats going on i'm sort of hit or miss on these days too - inner city blues 4-eva though

also "Trouble Man" might be my favorite song

On a side note, can you imagine how awkward that shit must have been to turn in?

"Hey Berry, here's a record I made about your sister."

Anna's Song.......

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I attest to Marvin's greatness. In fact without him, I wouldn't have my soulstrut username. That still is my fav. soundtrack of all time.

Marvin also did the best rendition of the star spangeled banner ever!

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

I've got a set of about 10-12 Marvin Gaye acapellas, and they're so great to just listen to solo, gives you a better idea what he was really doing. The man's voice/feel is unmatched.

Happy Birthday Marvin!

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Hands down end of story.

What was happening in music in '78 too deem this "out of place"? Just wondering. Motown was becoming eclipsed by new acts? Rick James keeping them afloat in the public eye? Chic? HMD is pretty much R&B/Disco/Funk w/ the concept twist.

He definitley had a few singles/songs on there that were relevant, but "Sparrow", "Everybody Needs Love", "You Can Leave But It's Going to Cost You", "Anger", "Is That Enough" etc. weren't really in same vein as other records out at the time.
    A lot of that album sounds more like it was made in '74 than '78. That might be part of it.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Marvin also did the best rendition of the star spangeled banner ever!

Don't get much smoother than that. Hadn't seen this, thanks for posting!

Hands down end of story.

He definitley had a few singles/songs on there that were relevant, but "Sparrow", "Everybody Needs Love", "You Can Leave But It's Going to Cost You", "Anger", "Is That Enough" etc. weren't really in same vein as other records out at the time.
    A lot of that album sounds more like it was made in '74 than '78. That might be part of it.

No doubt.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

And while the first post mentioned "disco"...nah, it sounds too earthy (and early) for disco, more like straight-up funk. Even Rick James had a lot more Studio 54 appeal than Here, My Dear.

And while the first post mentioned "disco"...nah, it sounds too earthy (and early) for disco, more like straight-up funk. Even Rick James had a lot more Studio 54 appeal than Here, My Dear.

True. But you have to admit Funky Space Reincarnation had some spacefunk/protodisco leaning.
    P-Funk influenced, rappin over the beat like Clinton shit.
    In 1978 everybody was makin Star Wars references. But yeah it not that Coke Disco....

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    "You Can Leave But It's Going to Cost You"

I was listening to that song the other day on iTunes. I seriously wanted to give it a rating higher than the five stars available. Dude was in another place when he recorded that album. The very definition of:

• dayday 9,611 Posts

True. But you have to admit Funky Space Reincarnation had some spacefunk/protodisco leaning.
    In 1978 everybody was makin Star Wars references. But yeah it not that Coke Disco....

Man have you seen the video? Best believe there was some coke involved!

I really think that was his attempt at keeping up with what was going on. That's probably my least favorite song on the album too.

I need to read this again after all this talk.

Man have you seen the video? Best believe there was some coke involved!
    I really think that was his attempt at keeping up with what was going on. That's probably my least favorite song on the album too.
    I need to read this again after all this talk.

Of course...hahaha! I was thinkin faster bpm.I like this song since he gets to outer space during an album which is quite introspective.

Divided Soul book is really good. I keep it near.

Even so, when I think of "disco" I think of that stiff Georgio Moroder/Salsoul Orchestra-type music, and while "Funky Space Reincarnation" is indeed danceable, it's just too soulish for me to use that deadly d-word.

Even so, when I think of "disco" I think of that stiff Georgio Moroder/Salsoul Orchestra-type music, and while "Funky Space Reincarnation" is indeed danceable, it's just too soulish for me to use that deadly d-word.

True. But uptempo Lite-Funk soul track were being played in the discos back in 76/77. Enjoy Yourself - Jacksons? What were u listening too and wearing.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

"Hey Berry, here's a record I made about and for[/b] your sister because I'm broke and have to give her the proceeds in lieu of cold hard cash for our divorce settlement.[/b]"

when I'm feeling down - Seek and You Shall Find cheers me up.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    anyone read this one?

Here's an excerpt.

anyone read this one?

Here's an excerpt.

I have an issue of Mojo that I think predates the book. Probably excerpts as well.

I forget which song it was from but there's this verse that makes me laff every time:

"Goin' in and out my clothes
    Putting powder up my nose
    Running around with midnight hoes[/b]
    That chapter of my life is closed!!!"

"Midnight hoes."

In the words of Eddie Murphy, I thought the shit was funny!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    how is the michael eric dyson book on gaye?

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts

Happy Birthday Mr.Gaye

i Got To Give It Up for my man