Timbaland was better when he was chubby

2»

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    timbaland's solo records (and records with magoo) largely sucked before he lost weight too.

If it hasn't been said before, I'll say it now. Timbaland was at his best before Aaliyah died. I liked the first Timbaland & Magoo album, "Up Jumps The Boogie" was very good and was the closest thing to a posse track (well, Ginuwine wasn't in the song but was in the video) for them, at a point where they were all at their height. That album had a few duds, and hearing Magoo sing an interpolation of "Mack The Knife" seemed silly (although not as silly as Q-Tip singing about sexually transmitted diseases).

The first Missy Elliott album still holds up, arguably because as she said in interviews, "that was my weed album, I don't do that no more". If that's the case, maybe she needs to get back on something.

But compare the first Aaliyah album (primarily produced by R. Kelly) to the second. One In A Million[/b] was not done completely by Timbaland, but the reason Aaliyah had more or less a second life was because of "If Your Girl Only Knew", "One In A Million", "4 Page Letter", and "Hot Like Fire". That, of course, lead to "Are You That Somebody", and that blew up big time.

Not too many people talk about her third album because it was released a few weeks before she died, but the Timbaland tracks on that were some of his best. When she died, there was that interview he did where he said he needed to take a break. That break lead to him crossing over to work with pop artists, and while those songs are good, I'm sorry but that Pussycat Dolls track is ass. Timberlake's "My Love" though, I like the way he did that because it sounds a lot like what he did on the first albums by Missy and himself & Magoo. You had the double up of the drums, the stuttering synths, him making his own beat box beats and whatnot, it's great.

Timbaland is networking, collaborating, trying to secure his future. As much as people praise The RZA, he has not had the same kind of success Timbaland has had in the last ten years. It may not be music we appreciate or like, but he's doing his thing, making more money than some of us will never see. A Timberlake hit song will get airplay in 10, 20, 30 years, and those royalty checks will be nice every three months when collaborations with artists grind to a halt.

I am curious to hear what he does with Bjork, and I hope she will release it as a DVD-A.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i think missy's first three records are all pretty great, she started to fall off with the old school schtick record that sampled double dutch bus (still good though) and then her album after that was pretty much trash.

i think missy's first three records are all pretty great, she started to fall off with the old school schtick record that sampled double dutch bus (still good though) and then her album after that was pretty much trash.

Miss E...So Addictive[/b] was pretty good.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    to me da real world is her most underrated. "U Can't Resist" is crazy

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    In a lot of ways skinny Timberland is better, but he wouldn't be possible without chubby Timberland so you really can't have one without the other.

Critisizing him for working with people that make "hits" is ridiculous. That is his job. Nothing wrong with that, it's what a producer does. They work with people that make hits, and try to put a new twist on these artists, and give them new hits so they don't sound exactly like their tired last hit. He still works with people that aren't established hitmakers as well, and finds the challenge in making them more interesting and/or hit friendly. He gets paid really good money to do this job, and most people wish they had a job that cool.

And too many of you are overlooking the fact that Timberland is one of the few producers that really makes Top 40 music more interesting/updated/better/etc. I check for Timberland's pop productions. He makes top 40 music that much more interesting. That's some worthy shit right thur. While he is not alone, he is doing a lot to change the scape of modern Top 40 (especially non-rap) music. C'mon now, this guy deserves a lot of respect for that shit.

I While he is not alone, he is doing a lot to change the scape of modern Top 40 (especially non-rap) music. C'mon now, this guy deserves a lot of respect for that shit.

That can be good or bad. Are you suggesting that it should be an all Timbaland show, or will there be more musical diversity? As far as I am concerned, a lot of "modern Top 40" is crap. Not even the good crap is worth listening to more than twice.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    I While he is not alone, he is doing a lot to change the scape of modern Top 40 (especially non-rap) music. C'mon now, this guy deserves a lot of respect for that shit.

That can be good or bad. Are you suggesting that it should be an all Timbaland show, or will there be more musical diversity? As far as I am concerned, a lot of "modern Top 40" is crap. Not even the good crap is worth listening to more than twice.

I never suggested that. Not sure where you got that from.

As far as your opinion of a lot of "modern top 40" being crap, you are not alone and are not his audience. But I don't think Timberland really needs to be worried about that, the point is it really doesn't matter what the hip-hop guys (and especially soul/dub/funk etc record collectors) think. He's expanded his range, bringing his talents to other projects, getting paid and probably having a lot of fun with this shit. I bet there will be more interesting things coming from him, I don't think he is running out of steam quite just yet.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    'rock box'!!!

>>> walk this way

Yes "Rock Box" is in my opinion a better song but the comparison is apples and oranges. One was Larry Smith production (with Vernon Reid on guitar if I'm not mistaken.) The other is a straight collaboration of a rock group and a rap group to do a new (cover) song.

I never suggested that. Not sure where you got that from.

I never said you suggested that, I asked if that's what you were implying. I now have my answer. thanks.

As far as your opinion of a lot of "modern top 40" being crap, you are not alone and are not his audience. But I don't think Timberland really needs to be worried about that, the point is it really doesn't matter what the hip-hop guys (and especially soul/dub/funk etc record collectors) think. He's expanded his range, bringing his talents to other projects, getting paid and probably having a lot of fun with this shit. I bet there will be more interesting things coming from him, I don't think he is running out of steam quite just yet.

I agree with you, it will be interesting to see how far he goes with it. I remember when Pharrell was talking about doing country, and that never worked out. The way country music is, I don't know, but maybe Timbaland can work up some bluegrass or Americana.

But considering his Cartoon Network credentials, perhaps Dangermouse should work with Grey DeLisle.

• Yes "Rock Box" is in my opinion a better song but the comparison is apples and oranges. One was Larry Smith production (with Vernon Reid on guitar if I'm not mistaken.)

I think it was Eddie Martinez on "Rock Box." Reid was on P.E.'s "Sophisticated Bitch."

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yes "Rock Box" is in my opinion a better song but the comparison is apples and oranges. One was Larry Smith production (with Vernon Reid on guitar if I'm not mistaken.)

I think it was Eddie Martinez on "Rock Box." Reid was on P.E.'s "Sophisticated Bitch."

You're right!