?settings on your mixer when recording

FunkyFlatulentFunkyFlatulent 1,106 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
I have a rain ttm56 and when recording do you guys keep all you highs mids and lows in the middle at zero? I'm guessing that's the settings the record is supposed to played at to get it to sound how it's was mastered to sound. Seems like a no brainer. But i usually crank up the mids and highs more when playing so it sounds crisper, just how i like it. I know it's a dumb question, but all levels in the middle is correct?

Comments

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I have a rain ttm56 and when recording do you guys keep all you highs mids and lows in the middle at zero? I'm guessing that's the settings the record is supposed to played at to get it to sound how it's was mastered to sound. Seems like a no brainer. But i usually crank up the mids and highs more when playing so it sounds crisper, just how i like it.

I know it's a dumb question, but all levels in the middle is correct?

so you're the guy who DJs before me!!!!

• I would have thought that the master signal out is the key one

• I would have thought that the master signal out is the key one

i'm not talking about levels like that.. I mean how it's mastered for highs lows etc.. Like to get it how it's meant to sound on a cd... the levels would be zero?

I know this is stupid...and the answer is yes, it's just when i play it like that it sounds flat.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    I have a rain ttm56 and when recording do you guys keep all you highs mids and lows in the middle at zero? I'm guessing that's the settings the record is supposed to played at to get it to sound how it's was mastered to sound. Seems like a no brainer. But i usually crank up the mids and highs more when playing so it sounds crisper, just how i like it.

I know it's a dumb question, but all levels in the middle is correct?

so you're the guy who DJs before me!!!!

seriously.

i always do a check to hear how the house sounds, but it takes a really nasty sounding room for me to up those highs and mids to compensate.

most mixer equs are too wide and nasty sounding to really help. and if your in microwave land you are most likely pointing out that the emporer is covered in 1s and 0s

• ^yeah i here you. I'm not talking about that though. I just mean recording records to my cpu in my room. I just want the proper sound, but it sounds so flat at zero to me.

soooooo.... the answer is zero is right?

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    yes, zero. master it with better eqs.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I've found it varies from song to song so basically use your ears for what sounds best. Maybe do a test record and play it on different speakers to see the difference.

I think that Hugh's saying to get the most out of the record it's good to start with the right output levels and I'd include gain in that as well. Then room sound is major because that's obviously what you are using to judge the levels. Most DJ headphones are tinny when you crank them and they bypass the EQ so extra top out the speakers might sound OK to you but could do with being at zero or lower. Really you shouldn't have any "favorite" settings although I think if you're mixing up older pressings of varying conidition or quality it's good to have a bit less treble to make the differences like pops or surface noise less noticable. That said, bass to eleventy plaese.

I've found it varies from song to song so basically use your ears for what sounds best. Maybe do a test record and play it on different speakers to see the difference.

succincter

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    yes, zero. master it with better eqs.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    If you're digitizing vinyl I say fuck a mixer and get one of these:
    IMG SRC=http://cachemi.samedaymusic.com/media/fit,325by400/brand,sameday/p12552h-19866c9fe79728af3473c5b040c2b382.jpg>

Lord Finesse put me up on it after I asked how his home setup sounded so amazing.
    All mixers (esp. DJ ones) introduce some type of noise, this joint simply gives you clean amplification what's actually on the vinyl, for better or worse.
    Been using on for a year or two now and love it...but I don't mind remastering stuff.

• thanks everybody. Appreciate it..
    basicly what i thought.

Quo how much is that thing? I remember finesse sending me stuff (pellas) and you know they sound shittier then recording music and they sounded INCREDIBLE! guess that thing was the secret???

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Cheap, like $50. Most Guitar Centers/Sam Ash's got 'em behind the register.
    Get that & a Mogami or Monster cable to your soundcard & you're good for the rest of your life.
    (what's up with those accapellas? )

• Cheap, like $50. Most Guitar Centers/Sam Ash's got 'em behind the register.
    Get that & a Mogami or Monster cable to your soundcard & you're good for the rest of your life.
    (what's up with those accapellas? )

I wish it was those types of pellas haha. Trust me!

It was just some stuff on 12"s I couldn't find that he happened to have ripped.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Ah, yep. That's probably why.
    If more cats would get down with the Rolls the sound quality of the mp3/blog/Microwave game would be much improved.

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    i have a rane ttm56 .. i have it plugged in to my budget soundblaster x-fi soundcard (connected thru rca) the eq on my rane is activated and i have the bass in the middle hi&mid's on 3/4 turn .. sounds good for my ears till now.

• I've been looking for something just like that - thanks dude.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    If you're digitizing vinyl I say fuck a mixer and get one of these:
    IMG SRC=http://cachemi.samedaymusic.com/media/fit,325by400/brand,sameday/p12552h-19866c9fe79728af3473c5b040c2b382.jpg>

Lord Finesse put me up on it after I asked how his home setup sounded so amazing.
    All mixers (esp. DJ ones) introduce some type of noise, this joint simply gives you clean amplification what's actually on the vinyl, for better or worse.
    Been using on for a year or two now and love it...but I don't mind remastering stuff.

Quo,

At some point though, if you're going to make a mix - you're going to need to run your set-up through a mixer though, right? So wouldn't that eliminate whatever advantages would be gained through using a separate pre-amp?

• If you're digitizing vinyl I say fuck a mixer and get one of these:

Quo,

At some point though, if you're going to make a mix - you're going to need to run your set-up through a mixer though, right? So wouldn't that eliminate whatever advantages would be gained through using a separate pre-amp?

only if you're playing the actual records you recorded before; using microwave you already have the better sounding file on your hard drive.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts

Yes but you're now using a higher quality source file rather than putting said song through a mixer twice (once to record it, again while spinning out).

Some might see it as overkill or a moot point since it's converterd to mp3. I don't have Microwave but I have transfered loads of LP's (for myself, friends, and as a business) to CD & iPod and the proof is in the pudding. It just sounds very good (keep in mind you should know you're way around say WaveLab or Soundforge & a Waves plug-in bundle as you'll probaly need to remaster once you have the raw file).

Basically if you want good digitized vinyl it's a great, affordable little piece to have.
    I recommend it to anyone that transfers wax.

• At some point though, if you're going to make a mix - you're going to need to run your set-up through a mixer though, right? So wouldn't that eliminate whatever advantages would be gained through using a separate pre-amp?

Yes but you're now using a higher quality source file rather than putting said song through a mixer twice (once to record it, again while spinning out).

Some might see it as overkill or a moot point since it's converterd to mp3. I don't have Microwave but I have transfered loads of LP's (for myself, friends, and as a business) to CD & iPod and the proof is in the pudding. It just sounds very good (keep in mind you should know you're way around say WaveLab or Soundforge & a Waves plug-in bundle as you'll probaly need to remaster once you have the raw file).

Basically if you want good digitized vinyl it's a great, affordable little piece to have.
    I recommend it to anyone that transfers wax.
    Say Quo, how would that piece work it's way into a setup with a turntable, mpc, and an audio interface? Would it go between the turntable and mpc, and out to the interface?

• I think if you're mixing up older pressings of varying conidition or quality it's good to have a bit less treble to make the differences like pops or surface noise less noticable. That said, bass to eleventy plaese.

actually, this is one of those physics type things where it actually works counter-intuitively. More bass actually makes pops and surface noise LOUDER. Don't ask me how, I just know from personal experience that it does. A cat I worked with back in the day hipped us all to it, and it's really true. Take a dusty rinked 45 and mess around with just the bass settings and you'll hear it.

most turntablists turn down the bass when they are doing scratches, and there are mixers that have a 'scratch eq' button (I think it was the later model Vestaxes?) that for all intents and purposes are a bass kill switch.

This reminds me of a french dude I met in LA when I was living there, and we would talk about music and he loved 'music with the big bass' but he pronounced it like:

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Say Quo, how would that piece work it's way into a setup with a turntable, mpc, and an audio interface? Would it go between the turntable and mpc, and out to the interface?

See with that you'd need an intermediary eq to shape/beef up the sound into a sampler, and then you might as well be using a DJ mixer as usual, though what I have seen working well is Turntable -> Rolls -> Mackie 1604VLZ -> MPC/Computer/etc -> Speakers.