ELEPHANTS.

2»

Comments

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    I'll give it up that Planet Earth does have some great sequences in it (a Russian leopard? Damn.).
    But by and large most of the unique natural occurrences that they are "filming for the first time in HD" have already been captured by NGS, UNESCO and BBC dudes years ago.
    Usually the first thing a biologist or naturalist wants to do after discovering an insane event on Earth is to record it in some fashion.
    So there's basically an existing list of amazing places, spaces and events and these Bristol-BBC guys are just going to film it (again) with a new camera.
    This is like buying Dark Side Of The Moon on a Limited Edition 24K Gold Japanese CD for $34.99, even though you've heard the record a million times on your perfectly suitable vinyl LP record.

Now Sunrise Earth on the other hand, that is amazing HD shit!
    It's like the visual version of Chris Watson's intimate audio work.

• I'll give it up that Planet Earth does have some great sequences in it (a Russian leopard? Damn.).
    But by and large most of the unique natural occurrences that they are "filming for the first time in HD" have already been captured by NGS, UNESCO and BBC dudes years ago.
    Usually the first thing a biologist or naturalist wants to do after discovering an insane event on Earth is to record it in some fashion.
    So there's basically an existing list of amazing places, spaces and events and these Bristol-BBC guys are just going to film it (again) with a new camera.
    This is like buying Dark Side Of The Moon on a Limited Edition 24K Gold Japanese CD for $34.99, even though you've heard the record a million times on your perfectly suitable vinyl LP record.

Well, if you've never seen most of that shit before, this is a great intro.

I've noted w/ interest your recommendations. Thank you.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    there are ten million+ people that have no idea where russia is let alone what animals are living in the mountains of them. most people arent knowledged enough in things such as this. folks dont know whats happening on the other side of town from them!

with the OVER explaining of "this is the first time...", okay, yes, that was mad repetitive and ive even seen pandas being filmed with their newborns in a cave... like three or four different time on different programs. so some of the stuff they have sweaver saying is just dumb. but its made for folks who dont know a goddamn thing.

my parents are watching this. theyve never been outside of the bay area (not really anyway), they dont own a computer, and dont really watch the science or history channels like i do so watching this was new to them (except for those old costeau boat voyages and mutual of omaha shows back in the day). they were AMAZED at all the filming AND what sweaver was saying. they called me afterwards and wanted to chat up all the stuff they heard... global warming and the like.

so before you knock it think about a broader audience that doesnt know about the BBC programming or as book-read as some of you.

• but its made for folks who dont know a goddamn thing.

Uh-oh....now I feel guilty for enjoying it so much.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    there are ten million+ people that have no idea where russia is let alone what animals are living in the mountains of them. most people arent knowledged enough in things such as this. folks dont know whats happening on the other side of town from them!

with the OVER explaining of "this is the first time...", okay, yes, that was mad repetitive and ive even seen pandas being filmed with their newborns in a cave... like three or four different time on different programs. so some of the stuff they have sweaver saying is just dumb. but its made for folks who dont know a goddamn thing.

my parents are watching this. theyve never been outside of the bay area (not really anyway), they dont own a computer, and dont really watch the science or history channels like i do so watching this was new to them (except for those old costeau boat voyages and mutual of omaha shows back in the day). they were AMAZED at all the filming AND what sweaver was saying. they called me afterwards and wanted to chat up all the stuff they heard... global warming and the like.

so before you knock it think about a broader audience that doesnt know about the BBC programming or as book-read as some of you.

I hear you.
    I was just making minor criticism.

VAPORIZE THE HD DAWG

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

I hear you.
    I was just making minor criticism.

VAPORIZE THE HD DAWG

hahha... yeah... DONT DISRESPECT PLANET EARTH COUSIN!!!

next time youre in the bay ill lace you with some purp that will make you forget what a 45 is...

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts

Huge gargantuan
    That is one incredible show. I've only watched the fjord one and the one in China w/ the terraced farming. MUST SEE TV!!!!!!!

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    circuses are cruel. 2007 y'all fuck this schitt.

agreed 100%...this place, however is not - it is an elephant orphanage I went to a few weeks ago in Nairobi. Incredible place. They find abandoned and orphaned elephants throughout Kenya, raise them and re-socilize them into other herds..
    http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/index.asp
    check the picks:

Great photos, those folks have their work cut out for them, the worldwide ivory trade has gone
    apeshit in the last couple years.
    If you aren't up on the latest here you go:
    http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/wildlife/article2347531.ece