Shanghai kicks: where to go?

parenparen 537 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Salutations from Shanghai. Good food and good company have already made the trip the winner of the year, but I'd like to score some raer footwear if at all possible. Anyone have recommendations? Xie xie.

Comments

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    I will move in Shanghai next may .... I don't know shoes shop, but have you found any music store strutter-friendly in town ?

• shomshom 31 Posts
    I don't know about kicks specifically, but this site may help with shopping in general.

http://superfuture.com/city/city/city.cfm?city=108
    http://superfuture.com/city/city/selected.cfm?city=108

Shanghai seems like one of the sickest places in the world. I really want to there in the next couple of years and check it out.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Salutations from Shanghai. Good food and good company have already made the trip the winner of the year, but I'd like to score some raer footwear if at all possible. Anyone have recommendations? Xie xie.

LUCKY (so jelly riiight now)

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    if you want any restaurant tips, let me know. I was just there.....

for hypebeastin you can check out Juice, which opened recently. It's a store run by Edison Chen's company, Clot Inc. Prices aren't cheap, luxury goods will cost more in Shanghai than let's say HK due to tariffs.

Edison is a terrible canto pop/rap/idol/actor.........read about him here.

here are pics of my trip. My best advice is to avoid WHITE PEOPLE like the plague. Or else you'll end up at a bar w/ ze german DJ's toastin over dub 45's.

no sire I don't want to "witness the fitness".

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Stop by here, holler at my man Gary and ask him:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=80011811

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I will move in Shanghai next may .... I don't know shoes shop, but have you found any music store strutter-friendly in town ?

gilles peterson will be playing in shanghai june 1st.

as to looking for records? Best to forget it and enjoy the duality of the city while you still can. Soon old town will be gone.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    yea I don't think there will be a whole lot to offer in terms of vinyl out there in Shanghai

music though, they have a rather nice scene going on there, holding it down by the Lab people.

as for kicks, that'll be tough since its not quite the city known for casual street fashion (its more poshy high-end fashion handbags and leather shoes and things)

• parenparen 537 Posts
    All, thanks for the responses. O-, I am going to hit up your dude in a bit. I am not concerning myself with rakkords during the trip. Had a couple of suits made yesterday and ate still more amazing food. Trying to cop a Ricoh GR-Digital and eat still more spicy fishheads and noodles this afternoon... We hit a banging izakaya two nights ago and my mediocre Japanese pulled me through and helped me connect for a bit. We're in Shanghai through the end of the week then off to Asahikawa, Japan. Flickrin' quick snaps along the way.

• snosno 332 Posts
    for hypebeastin you can check out Juice, which opened recently. It's a store run by Edison Chen's company, Clot Inc. Prices aren't cheap, luxury goods will cost more in Shanghai than let's say HK due to tariffs.

Edison is a terrible canto pop/rap/idol/actor.........read about him here.

Call me a hatter, but....

Terrible? His acting, singing and rapping are like crimes against humanity. Hath no fear though, he said he would scale down his "artistic output" and to become an "entrpreneur", whatever the fuck that means.

His Shanghai lifestyle store? Shit...with Visvim shoes hanging around, I get cheaper Visvim Serra from those parallel import shops in Hong Kong.

My best advice is to avoid WHITE PEOPLE like the plague. Or else you'll end up at a bar w/ ze german DJ's toastin over dub 45's.
    Anybody got any idea of what this club called "Antidote" be like? Just curious because I was exchanging some emails to play a show there...

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

Call me a hatter, but....

Terrible? His acting, singing and rapping are like crimes against humanity. Hath no fear though, he said he would scale down his "artistic output" and to become an "entrpreneur", whatever the fuck that means.

thank the lord. Now if only juno mak's dad loses his fortune so he can't be bankrolled by daddy anymore.

here are two good resources for food...

http://travel2.nytimes.com/2005/10/09/tr...c&ex=1175313600

http://food.846.cn/2006/1-7/192755.html

great list w/ the 2nd one, albeit you gotta be able to read Chinese. Or rather just print it off and shove it in a cabby's face. Taxi's are dirt cheap in Shanghai.

• snosno 332 Posts
    thank the lord. Now if only juno mak's dad loses his fortune so he can't be bankrolled by daddy anymore.
    yes. good news indeed. given the time span of HKG street fashion label having 3-year shelf life, I'm patiently waiting this "EDC" (aka Hiroshi Fujiwara clone #32222890) character to fall off the map and radar completely.

As for Juno...well, well, well...even if Mak senior gone bankrupt, Juno still has his big brother's back, the almighty TK (aka Wannabe Hiroshi Fujiwara #2998898820), with his MILK machine in full effect. He'd still have a lot of overpriced Japanese street fahsion.

BTW, haven't you heard about the story of a Juno's gig where he or his publicist hired a number of "fans-for-hire" for the show but the offer was so low those "fans" went to a Wan Kong gig in another part of town which was paid much better?

http://food.846.cn/2006/1-7/192755.html

great list w/ the 2nd one, albeit you gotta be able to read Chinese. Or rather just print it off and shove it in a cabby's face. Taxi's are dirt cheap in Shanghai.

it's a 7-pager list, definitly need plenty of time in Shanghai to try them all out!