Anyone going to see gilberto gil??

badder_than_evilbadder_than_evil 951 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
In Davis tomorrow?Or has anyone seen him on his current tour???

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Thought about going in Berkeley last night but it was sold out / Zellerbach is always expensive unless you like your musicians like ants.

• Saw him at Carnegie Hall in NYC last week. It's a solo acoustic approach on this tour. Beautiful music, his voice was in top form. Laid back to the n-th degree. I'd prefer a band or at least a collaborator or something, but this was still very nice.

People next to me were alternately talking, singing, texting, air-guitar-ing, taking flash pictures, and ultimately shitty movies with their point-and shoot. I was about to be the first person in history to be kicked out of a GG show for fighting. I think I'm getting too crotchety for the quiet shows.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I really wish he was playing in Houston or anywhere near for the matter. I was hoping he would do a secret show during SXSW but that didn't happen.

• Did you catch his key-note speech @ SXSW?
    I missed that, as well as Pete Townsend.
    Only speaker I saw was Robyn Hitchcock...

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    i saw gilberto two fridays ago in ann arbor, mi. it was definitely a fun show, if at times maybe too singsongy campfire powwow like, but i think that's bc it was an expensive ticket and most of the people in the crowd were a little bit older, so he seemed to be catering to a more adult kinda crowd. anyways, he's obviously an extremely talented guitarist and vocalist and it was very impressive seeing him do his thing solo on stage - just singing and playing the guitar and telling a few stories in between.