The "N" Word - and by that I mean Nerd

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
I tried to avoid saying it the whole interview, but at the last minute I couldn't think of a better term. http://www.heraldsun.com/orange/10-592988.htmlCarrboro CD/Record Show today Apr 2, 2005 : 6:34 pm ET CARRBORO -- The hunt is on today. The mission: Find the best music. The place: Carrboro Century Center, filled with thousands of records, CDs, music books, posters and more. From noon to 6 p.m., 40 tables will be chock full of music to thumb through at the Carrboro CD and Record Show. In its third year, the free event is attracting 20 to 30 dealers from every crevice of North Carolina, and even into South Carolina and Tennessee. "The further they come, the more likely you may be to see something you haven't seen before," said Gerry Williams, a former music store owner who organizes the event. "It's just like a big record and CD store, except it's got considerably better prices." Local resident Mark Weddington, a.k.a. deejay Marco, will offer up his collection of soul, jazz and lounge records. "I'm just a big record collector," Weddington said. "I really enjoy music and being around people who can talk about it and be record nerds for a day."

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Branded, son.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    haha! I just was interviewed by some cub reporter about "record collecting" a couple of weeks ago. I was just out digging and there he was. It was kinda weird...

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    you were slangin stuff Marco?

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    MEATY = CAN'T STAY OFF THAT SOULSTRUT CRACK

you were slangin stuff Marco?

Only the hot shit.

- $2 Rod McKuen Live at Carnegie Hall
    - Two $3 copies of "Amen Brother" 45
    - $5 "Genius Rap" 12"
    - $4 HARDER THEY COME (80s issue)

And so on. As you can tell, Carrboro is fulla ballers. The most expensive record I sold was THE BONNIWELL MUSIC MACHINE for $15, and even then I shoulda gotten $20-$25. But since people around here don't actually collect records, what can you do. Even the three Japanese dealers in attendance had a hard time spending more than $5 a record.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I KNOW YOU AIN'T TALKING ABOUT ME, DOG! JUST BECAUSE SOMEBODY FREQUENTLY POSTS ON A RECORD WEBSITE/MESSAGEBOARD ABOUT BEATS AND CALLS PEOPLE OVER THE INTERNET "FRIENDS" AND TALKS ABOUT SENSITIVE ISSUES, DOESN'T MEAN DUDES ARE NERDS!

I-IGHT! I MAKING MAD CRAZY MOVES IN THE REAL WORLD!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    The most expensive record I sold was THE BONNIWELL MUSIC MACHINE for $15, and even then I shoulda gotten $20-$25.

Ouch

Dude I would've given you more for that

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    The most expensive record I sold was THE BONNIWELL MUSIC MACHINE for $15, and even then I shoulda gotten $20-$25.

Ouch

I was just thinkin that!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

EXACTLY! THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT! ALL ACTION, NO TALK OVER HERE BUDDY! DON'T TALK ABOUT IT BE ABOUT IT!

SO WHEN YOU LITTLE POP-TART DUDES ARE SCROUNGING BUCKS FOR FRICKIN' AUSSIE RAERS I'LL BE CHILLING AND WAXING MY STOMACH,LEGS, AND THIGHS SO I CAN STRUT MY SWEET ASS DOWN THE RUN WAY AND STRAIGHT TO THE PIGGIDY PIGGIDY BANK!

YEAH YEAH MO MONEY YEAH YEAH MO MONEY!

Ouch

Possibly, but it's not like I didn't hold it for months for someone so they could trade for it, only to have that someone pass on it when they gave it a few needledrops.

Ouch

Possibly, but it's not like I didn't hold it for months for someone so they could trade for it, only to have that someone pass on it when they gave it a few needledrops.

Hey mang, you just had too much good stuff that day... it just wasn't as good as the records I did get from ya...

But you never offered to SELL it to me... I'm quick to drop loot on records but very hesitant to trade...

Ouch

Hey mang, you just had too much good stuff that day... it just wasn't as good as the records I did get from ya...

But you never offered to SELL it to me... I'm quick to drop loot on records but very hesitant to trade...

Yep, figured that was the case. But that's the problem with me and record shows - I never price shit ahead of time cos I'm lazy so I just price 'em on the spot, which means lots of deals for the HEADZ WHAT KNOW THA DILL. Besides, NC being NC, if you put a decent price on something, odds are nobody will buy it. I know if I had $20 on that Bonniwell then it would still be sitting in the box.

Word.

The time I sold at that show I let some punk hipster fuck talk me down on a James Chance record I knew had priced low to begin with

Saul good

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    MEATY = CAN'T STAY OFF THAT SOULSTRUT CRACK

I wasnt really leaving.... just had to play the roll

• some punk hipster fuck talk me down on a James Chance record

you pretty much just described me at a record show

The time I sold at that show I let some punk hipster fuck talk me down on a James Chance record I knew had priced low to begin with

Ouch