Opera

deepbrntdeepbrnt 241 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
I've had a reoccuring itch to check it out but don't know where to begin...like some straight librarian sh#$, what the dank cousin Victor Baron would listen to.I really don't have a preference with language. Anyone know anything? Any leads would be appreciated

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Start with Italian operas as the German language can be a bit harsh. Vivaldi operas would be a great place to start. Where do you live? Is there a good opera company and a nice opera house in your city?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    ...like some straight librarian sh#$, what the dank cousin Victor Baron would listen to.

I don't know what this means, but as someone who
    appreciates opera, my advice is to buy a collection
    of popular arias and see which ones you like, then
    pursue those operas & composers.

Another nice way to ease into opera is to buy a Caruso
    collection LP out of a bargain bin, and listen to those
    old Edison cylinders of the G.O.A.T. at work ...

Opera is really much better live IMO, but I can definitely
    chill at home with some Puccini (pasue) or Verdi ... also,
    alot of the shorter operas have classic arias, like "O mio
    babbino caro" from Puccini's Gianni Schicchi.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Opera is really much better live

• deepbrntdeepbrnt 241 Posts
    Thanks for the suggestions. Am in a college town Bloomington IN I know of the big theatres but not sure about the opera...am interested in going to one and alsofor the car or at home etc etc.

Apologies on the confusion...Victor Baron is an E-40 reference. 'like my dank cousin Victor Baron' I always imagined him listening to some opera.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    cant go wrong with any of the Puccini operas recorded with Maria Callas on lead facemelt vox (i.e. try the versions shes on first)

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I've had a reoccuring itch to check it out but don't know where to begin...like some straight librarian sh#$, what the dank cousin Victor Baron would listen to.

I really don't have a preference with language. Anyone know anything? Any leads would be appreciated

This aint so dank, but you might like.

Turandot Nessun Dorma

The alpha and the omega.