Local Bands that came with your college experience

2»

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Marco reppin Archers of Loaf!

• Auburn University

I did artwork for Man or Astroman?:

This thing was 6x8 feet and lived in my small apartment room with me for a while. The paint fumes were

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    At my school:

just missed the Pixies by a year

UMass Amherst?

I went to Hampshire College, just down the road. Pioneer Valley rules. Pixies were part of the UMass scene. I forgot to mention that Nate from the Mighty, Mighty Bosstones went to Hampshire when I was there.

Ha ha! Yes, the Pioneer Valley is a pretty great place to go to school. I went to UMass, so I was over to Hampshire here and there during my time. So, by the old Scooby Doo urban legend, you're a "Shaggy."

Right on. Oh, and as far as I know, no bands of any quality played around Amherst during my time there. A bunch of mediocre to crappy bands, but I don't tend to remember the names.

Except the Missing Lance Project. I was friends with a couple of them, so I don't want to necessarily throw them under the bus, but tepid white boy funk is as good a term as any. By way of the Spin Doctors.

OK, I guess I did just throw them under the bus.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i went to college in san diego and at that time there was a considerable amount of hippy jam bands ala grateful dead. i was friends with this one group "monkey" something or the other. i mean to say i used to play hackeysack in the quad with them dudes and they had a bong buried out behind the main library that theyd dig up every day around 4:20 and we'd do major bong hits bro. anyways, this one time one of the dudes who spent a year abroad in europe somewheres comes back and he knew i liked the records so he wanted to show me his awesome new record collection. so i went to their compound in university city and i shit u not there was all kinds of garbage on the floor of the whole house knee high and one of the band dudes was on the couch grating cheddar cheese onto his bare chest and he and his girlfriend were eating the cheese shavings straight from his chest. anyways, the one dude who just got back from europe, who btw sported a new baby braids and dread hairdo showed me his radical record collection which was mainly euro house and shit.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Mike Ladd is originally from the Northwest?

MC Felonious, his corny college handle, is straight outta cambridge. Dude taught me how to drink nyquil. Freshman year 1988, he was walking around campus with a patagoinia fleece with faux ermine cuffs, repping free your mind and your ass will follow on the back. In college we took a black expatriot writers class together and now he is an expatriot black artist (france). Funny. A cery cool brother.

Never saw smegma. If we start repping shows we saw in college or hometown shit could get crazy.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Alice Deejay
    Mars and Mystre
    Darude
    Sarina Paris

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    poughkeepsie, ny 92-96

• Freestyle Fellowship
    Rage Against The Machine
    The Nonce
    The Pharcyde
    Jurassic 5

• plkbrynplkbryn 159 Posts
    picking up from 93-97. bands i saw live in austin (for better or worse)

the motards
    the satans
    the primadonnas
    stretford
    carbomb
    andromeda strain
    the crying outlouds
    the inhalents
    glorium
    gut bucket
    windsor for the derby
    the 145s
    teen titans
    spoon
    el santo (sa)
    big drag (sa)
    jack o fire
    8.5 souveniers
    wayne the train
    don walser
    golden arm trio
    power snatch
    gretchen phillips
    the adults
    trail of dead
    stars of the lid
    american analog set
    furry things
    bedhead
    desafinado
    johnboy
    gomez
    multitude of the slothful
    paul newman

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    picking up from 93-97. bands i saw live in austin (for better or worse)

the motards

Best band I saw at the '96 (or maybe '97, I can't remember) SXSW.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    If anyone wants the Texas Funk Comp. I can post it up.

Please do. I have the cassette, but it broke on me when I was relistening to it a few months back.

Here is the Texas Funk Compilation and the Sprawl - Heat Miser EP.