If we're all taking trips...VA BEACH, what's good?

DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
I'm not country hopping or anything, but i have a little Bed & Breakfast trip planned with my lady before i go into super work mode for the summer. What's good in Va Beach? We'll be there Friday afternoon/evening through Sunday afternoon on the weekend of 4/20. Would love to hit a DJ night somewhere Fri or Sat. Also, will be doing some digging along the way so anything reccomended is nice. Can't go all out digging, but a stop or too is ok either in transit or in town.

Comments

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    go to American Oldies in Newport News....
    great store.

although not a 20 minute stopover.
    more like a day of the trip given the amount of stuff to dig through
    nonetheless...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    go down to sandbridge and chill at the lesser populated beaches.

fuck records. it takes days to dig/drive around VA beach/Norfolk. there's records but it's A LOT of work. seriously.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    great store.

nonetheless...

did you ever go to that rock oriented shop in Norfolk--Skinnys? Seriously. Worst record store ever. Dude is the biggest dickhead.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Thanks for the knowledge and heads up guys. Appreciated.

Any reccomendations on food / bar? I imagine i can get my hands on plenty of crabs down there (no)?

I'd love to drink some good beers and hear some music.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    great store.

nonetheless...

did you ever go to that rock oriented shop in Norfolk--Skinnys? Seriously. Worst record store ever. Dude is the biggest dickhead.
    Yeah man..

check out Portsmouth and Chesapeake for thrifts. I've come up hard down there.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    fuck records. it takes days to dig/drive around VA beach/Norfolk. there's records but it's A LOT of work. seriously.

don't lie.. i know that's where you get all your raers

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    go down to sandbridge and chill at the lesser populated beaches.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    american oldies is dope...it was way fresh 10 years ago or so. i used to run into L.E.S. all the time in there. i was just there last week. they bought the space behind the store and knocked down the back wall. they have a lot more stuff in there now, but you gotta spend hours sifting thru the ho hum. it's kinda gotten sloppy as of late.

broadway records in portsmouth is decent too. he prices his hip hop a little high, but i've found some great records in there. cool dude too.

there's this big fleamarket off va. beach ave (forgot the name) that sells mixtapes and shit, they used to keep like 6 or 7 crates mostly of older hip hop... pretty decent stuff behind the counter. found a tony touch 50 mc's joint on double vinyl there. not sure if they still do or not, haven't been in like 5 years.

hope you can find fun times.