Being in the car with the 'rents as a kiddie, my bro and I heard lots of:

ELO
Queen
The Cars
The Pajama Game
Cabaret
John Denver
Thriller

My Dad's always been infatuated with Tina Turner, mostly for her legs, and he listens to her later stuff, not her early stuff (??). He always talks about this time he saw Bobby Bland in the Bronx in the 60s. I got my copy of Hot Buttered Soul from him.
"Steven, this is make out music".

My mom likes Springsteen, Rod Stewart, Billy Joel, The Beatles, Neil Diamond, and she took me to my first concert ever - The Rolling Stones Steel Wheels Tour at Shea Stadium in 1988.

Neither of them are really into music if you couldn't tell.

Comments

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    outside of there native russian music. my folks get down to GYPSY KINGS!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    my Dad swears he has hearing, as a youngster he would bump KDAY, tejano stations, or the static in between actual radio signals.

he likes classical music now

• FrequencyFrequency 115 Posts
    My mom is always bumping the soul in the whip - Rhymthm Review w/ Felix Hernandez on Kiss FM is on blast all weekend

She ususally likes all the soul stuff I listen to, but she only remember the big names like Delfonics, Moments, Curtis etc.....but I did get her hooked on Joe Quarterman and the Free Soul, made me make her a CD. Shes got "so Much trouble" on repeat

Definitely the only white woman I know that knows who Joe Quarterman is.

• Anyone who puts out a 2-disc Greatest Hits set.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    Father: My dad, as much as I love the dude, grew up in an ultra-conservative/stars-and-bars/religious household and still is a spitfire Republican. So, it puzzles me when he tells me about the days as a teenager when he wore out his mom's Alvin Cash and the Cash Registers' "Twine Time" 45 or saw James Brown at the Great Western Forum (and being shit scared of being the only white guy there). He was big into the Doors during his time in the National Guard. Guy knows "Back Door Man" and "Soul Kitchen" by heart. He plays CSN&Y and the Woodstock soundtrack in his car.

Mother: Mother's side of my family knew Lou Rawls. I would hear all about these stories about houseparties where Richard Pryor and Gene Simmons would come over with at least a dozen ladies in tow and the inhuman coke and pot consumtion ensuing with Rawls' hippie girlfriend (was her name Lana, by any chance? someone help me out here.) Apparently their mansion was haunted, too. Blue Magic S/T and Santana's "Abraxas" are her all time favorite LPs.

Grandmother: Gave me her copy of Frank Sinatra's "Ol' Blue Eyes Is Back". "Let Me Try Again" is the cut.

Uncle: Introduced to me to Perez Prado and Howlin' Wolf...

• Options
    I remember Kansas "Dust in the Wind", Bad Jim Croce, and Everly abrother laced 8 tracks pumpimg out the American Motors Matador (Chrysler before it was Chrysler). Luckily for me, my school friends' fathers/mothers listened to music I'm still involved with to this day.

My Dad is forever asking fro more Gwen McCrae soubding ish these days, though.

K.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

mom: Motown, 60s soul, 60s pop, etc. as a kid
    now she's into Nelly and shit. I stopped by one day she
    was playing an Enimen CD.....

dad: 60s/70s rock: Floyd, Doors, Zeppelin, etc. as a kid
    same shit now. oh yeah, plus the country channel.....

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

My pops was the parent who was mainly into music, mom just hummed along sometimes. Pops would play gospel music and jazz mainly, but would slip in some soul every now and again. Here's the list:

Gospel (tons of groups, here's a sampling):

-The Gospel Keynotes.

-The Mighty Clouds of Joy.

-The Swan Silvertones.

-The Pilgrim Jubilees.

-Willie Banks & the Messengers.

-The Williams Brothers.

-The Jackson Southernaires.

-The Soul Stirrers.

-Walter Hawkins & the Love Alive Choir.

-The Gospel Caravans.

-The Sensational Nightingales.

-The Gospelaires of Dayton Ohio.

-The Brooklyn All-Stars.

-Glenn Jones & the Modulaires.

-Little Cedric & the Hailey Singers.

-The Five Blind Boys of Mississippi

Jazz (examples):

-Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers.

-Dave Brubeck.

-John Coltrane.

-Miles Davis.

-Sonny Rollins.

-Paul Desmond.

-Chet Baker.

-Nina Simone.

-Sarah Vaughn.

Soul/Funk (examples):

-Lloyd Price.

-The Impressions.

-The Temptations.

-Eddie Kendricks.

-Marvin Gaye.

-Barry White.

-The Commodores.

-Earth, Wind, & Fire.

-Lou Rawls.

-Diana Ross (pops used to have a crush on her as a kid, so mom says; Yuck!!!).

-Johnny Taylor (he used to rock my "Disco Lady" 45 when I was a kid).

-James Brown.

-Dorothy Moore.

-Betty Wright.

Other (examples):

-Poco.

-Willie Nelson.

-Steely Dan/Donald Fagen.

-The Beatles.

-Chicago.

-AM Gold stuff like Carole King, Joni Mitchell, James Taylor, etc.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    my mom- young country crap and Crystal Gayle. Also growing up it was alot of the Eurythmics and the Dirty Dancing ost (no TheMack poster)

my dad- Springsteen and ZZ Top, Beatles blah blah blah...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    My Dad has always been a HUGE influence on my musical taste, and the fact that I have such an interest in it to begin with. He is an obsessive collector (nowcdnolp) of certain strains of jazz, doo wop, blues & r&b...he also has an Elvis obsession that only lightly passed on to me...but when I was in grade school, I was all flossin' big band jazz LP's, and I was into rockabilly in junior high, etc, because of him. I buy him music all the time as gifts, and usually manage to find shit that he somehow overlooked, and now I know all he taught me and more.

Probably the coolest thing is that when I was a kid, he would go out to record stores on the weekends and drag me along. I would get a couple of dollarbin jazz LP's and flip through stacks while he bought Solid Smoke James Brown Live at the Appolo reissues. We would always listen in the car to this blues show on Saturday afternoons that ran for over 20 years...I remember getting psyched when it would be ending, because after that, they would play old 40's radio thrillers like "Suspense," and I was mad into those. What's cool about it is that now I DJ on that same station that he played for me when I was kid, and he listens to every show, and usually calls in with some comment that shows he's not just tuning in, he's listening, which means we've come full circle. An I tend to drop in samples from "Suspense," too...

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    My dad is all about jazz and reggae, so much that I don't really listen to either genre. He has a pretty decent record collection and isn't coming off of shit. BTW no kid wants to go to a fucking Sun Ra concert. I hated that shit

Moms is into whatever they are playing on BET. She got a system with 10's in her car that beats harder than my car! Only thing I've done that she really likes is the Gift of Gab record.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Dad's fav's
    1.Zamfir.
    2.Michael Bolton.
    3.Enya.
    4.Mento(Compilations)Early Jamaican traditional music.
    5.60's Ska & Rock Steady music.
    7.ABBA
    8.Peter Tosh
    9.Kenny G.
    10.Richard Harris - "Kahil Gibran's - The Prophet"(I'm tired of making copies of this for him)it's his absolute all-time fav.
    11.Joe Cocker.
    12.Celine Dion.

Mom's fav's (Blank/nothing) she doesn't buy music.
    Well to be truthful i've seen her buy 3 albums in my lifetime those were
    Billy Paul, Melba Moore and Bee Gees.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    My dad is all about jazz and reggae, so much that I don't really listen to either genre. He has a pretty decent record collection and isn't coming off of shit. BTW no kid wants to go to a fucking Sun Ra concert. I hated that shit

Moms is into whatever they are playing on BET. She got a system with 10's in her car that beats harder than my car! Only thing I've done that she really likes is the Gift of Gab record.

Your parents have better taste than almost all of Soulstrut! But your mom is into "The Whisper Song"???!?!!??!

My folks:

A lot of latin music,
    oldies,
    motown
    In the 80's they LOVED Julio Iglesias
    Pop rock stuff like Kansas and Elton John or something.
    I do remember my mom saying she was a big 5th Dimension head (for the past 15 years she's been into a lot of Enya, Yanni, and Kitaro)

My dad said he used to go watch Cal Tjadernplay and I think it was my dad who hipped me to Sade.

• merlemerle 39 Posts
    my pops is all about classical music,
    specifically baroque and minimalist works,
    with some Satie, Debussy, and Bartok thrown in.
    i got a gang of good records from him
    when he abandoned vinyl.

moms is a more typical beatles/motown/dylan/ravi shankar 60's mom.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    I think i mentioned this on here before, but my dad has the deepest crates of anyone i've ever met. he gave me free reign to take whatever I wanted a few years back, and every time I go back home I go through the collection again and always turn up some crazy shit. last time a found some magma, kaleidoscope "side trips", an exuma LP, some fahey I'd never even seen before, etc...he's stayed up on nearly every genre for like 40 years (including early 80 hip hop ). If it wasn't for him I wouldn't be into records.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    great thread...

dad listens to some gypsy kings steeze while my moms listens to nothin but motown & east LA soul ish, she heavily bumps shig's cd & she just copped paychecks impalaville as well...

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    paychecks impalaville

I know nothing of this, and because of that, I feel and .

Herm

paychecks impalaville

I know nothing of this, and because of that, I feel and .

Herm
    well she copped the pre-release, word on the calles is that it's due out soon...
    well worth the wait sorry for blowin up spots but sayin though...
    peace
    ps herm i got part2 of that other shit commin up soon as well... ill hit you off when its complete...

• Ma' is a serious shag nutt the last 8 years or so. Alot of Northern Soul stuff (unwittingly) comes with that i guess. She'll freak me out sometimes with some crazy soul jam that i've never heard of that is her jam at the time. But my Moms has always been on the Country tip HARD (we're in Kakalak ya' know so....) Shes came at me for years on some "Listen to this song RIGHT NOW!!!", playing some heart wrenching country ballad, that makes you wanna hug yer' dog. But it goes pretty deep i guess. My grandpa (before he died in '63), played guitar in the backyard with his brothers and brother-in laws, and my earliest memories of music obsession reign from spending the night at my grandma & step-grandpa's house, sitting on the "you can't sit on that furniture" listening to them sing hymns and "old country" stuff, like i was wathing John Cage fuck up a piano or something, and only being able to fall asleeep to to my grandma's AM radio, tuned to a country station that seemed to only play the most melancholy "old county". She couldnt sleep without it, and neither could I. Even at 6 and 7 years old i would lie there with the heaviest anxiety from these songs, yet it soothed me for some reason.....CRAZY!! ramble, ramble ramble..time to lay off the beer and tranqualizers.

thats dope homie... be tight to find a recording of him playing some bkyard bbq...

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Mom - it's evolved from stuff like

Carly Simon, Joan Baez and the Beatles when I was in like kindergarten

to stuff like Stevie Wonder, Sam Cooke, Joan Armitrading, Prince, The B-52's, Little Feat, Patsy Cline and Glen Miller Band when I was a little older

to stuff like KD Lang, Travelling Wilburys, Dead Can Dance, stuff like that now.

Dad - Doc and Merle Watson, Johnny Cash, John Prine, Bob Dylan, etc

Stepdad - Rush, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Tricky, Massive Attack, Dead Can Dance (I got him into the trip hop stuff, he loves it and I hardly listen to it, haha)

• thats dope homie... be tight to find a recording of him playing some bkyard bbq...

Man, im telling you!!! I never me him, but his (family) legacy, has been probably the greatest inpiration for so much in my life. He was a great man, AND a tough dude. He had a very advanced case of heart disease the last few years of his life, and would work, carrying around a Dixie Cup to spit up blood in. And whats crazy too, is, though he was a Mill Worker, he was also a tattoo artist (started whilst in service), he did CRAZY pieces on my Moms uncles and aunts, friends, etc... He had sleeves, and panels. Homie even had his thing tattooed (a fly, and i couldn't tell you why.) My Grandma had alot of flicks of the work he had done on family. Since she passed, they cant be located. I dont know, just the stories, and the way my family speak of him have touched me since i was like 14 or something. My mom recently got in touch with a friend of his actually, that has a guitar he built and gave to said friend right before his death. She is trying to get it, but you know how stuff like that goes....

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

Queen

thats my dads steez, loves that classic rock shit.. and RJD2 ???

my mom strictly listens to show tunes.

pz.

• i gotta say that my dad has pretty shitty taste in music. hes one of those old mid life crisis dudes that tries to keep up on current hits and then tells me how little i know about music because i have no idea what is "hot right now"

my mom is much cooler though, i left my phil ranelin cd in her car and caught her bumping it, she's also into the classic jazz albums, kind of blue, love supreme etc. I remember when i brought that smith s/t album home she said "i used to have that album!!" and the kicker is after she remarried her name became "Julie London" so last year for her birthday i gave her a couple Julie London albums and she totally dug them.

needless to say my moms an pops are divorced.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    My parents grew up in Greenville, MS so they really love Delta Blues (and the Delta guys that moved up to Chicago) more than anything. Howling Wolf, Muddy Waters, BB King type stuff. My doesn't really like Rock & Roll because he felt like those guys were ripping off the Blues guys. They have a shelf of those records and some Meters, and my mom liked early 80s Michael Jackson, radio stuff, some gospel. Aaron Neville. They like some of the groups who perform on Austin City Limits but I don't know who any of those people are.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I love my parents. Im blessed to still have both of them. My mom has something like 3000 classical piano cds. Shes a piano teacher. My dad was a bass player, he works for hewlett packard now. He liked a lot of fusion shit, thats where I first got alot of my funky jazz records. He has a fairly open mind, but neither of them understand rap or anything recent at all.

Thats okay though, they are the best people in the world to me. They had my in theory classes at age 4 and drilled music into me since I was in the womb. Today they are still my primary inspiration in life. God bless em.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    You know whats awesome though? I bet most peoples parents owned thriller. If they liked music, they probably had a copy. Mine did for sure. Nothing gets through to so many people today like that record. Thats the true magic of it.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    my moms listens to the same 60's tape over and over with beatles, csn&y, etc.

dad is a musician, he listened to cream, jimi hendrix, bb king, muddy waters, and all of that back in the day, also reggae, when i was little i used to go to sleep to ijahman - are we a warrior and stuff.. now it's mainly allman brothers, los lobos and robert cray...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    My dad should be posting here more than I should. I love that dude. An ex disco, reggae and whatever was hot dj in the mid 70's.

I really should spend more time with him getting up on some of his Ska game becuase he's so so serious with that shit. I guess in his older age he's reverting back to the music of his youth, so it's Ska 24/7 everytime I see him. Best thing about him rocking out to it, is that he goes into these long ass monologues about when he first heard the song or was at a dance where the band or singer was performing. Breaks down the dances that were popular at the time and all that. Pawpaw appreciation fo fo real.

My mom's on some alt.christian.cheeserock shit right now. The only thing she will tolerate outside that is some really familiar jazz like Miles "birth of cool" or Coltrane's "my favorite things". eh.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Probably 75% of my extended family is made up of professional classical musicians, so naturally I heard a LOT of classical music growing up, something that has really influenced my beat-making.

Both of my parents like(d) The Beatles, not just because it was the hot music of the time, but because they, like many classical musicians appreciate The Beatles music as "more musical" than a lot of the other rock/pop stuff they were exposed to.

My dad loves older jazz like Duke Ellington and Count Basie, but has often surprised me with some heavy knowledge in Jazz areas. He also layed some jazzy stuff himself with various ensembles. His rendition of "Watermelon Man" with a basson quintet remains one of my favourite versions of that tune.

My mom likes to hear weird shit I play for her, and judges things primarily on the principle "are the musicians any good/do they have their minds in the right place?".

They continue to surprise me with how many people who were active in the Norwegian rock-scene they hung out with or knew, Including Terje Rypdal and an X amount of studio musicians. They also went to concerts with some heavy music, like James Brown.

My uncle is the real head when it comes to music in my family though; big on the prog-rock and pscychedelic stuff, and a manic Zappa fan.

Could be a WHOLE lot worse...

- J