Pressing a concert bootleg...

ZachDZachD 318 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Let's say you had access to great recordings of a band you really liked. And let's say you wanted to press up vinyl of one of these live recordings. Let's also say that band was on Sony/Epic. Is there a place that will press up such vinyl? There must be since Killah Kuts and other white labels do it right? If they ask couldn't you just say it was your band playing live?What would you consider the risk factor in doing this be? Let's say pressing up 100, distributing most of them word of mouth or on newsgroups and maybe a few on ebay. Any help would be appreciated. Is this possible?

Comments

• Let's say you had access to great recordings of a band you really liked. And let's say you wanted to press up vinyl of one of these live recordings. Let's also say that band was on Sony/Epic.[/b] .

Is there a place that will press up such vinyl? There must be since Killah Kuts and other white labels do it right? If they ask couldn't you just say it was your band playing live?

What would you consider the risk factor in doing this be? Let's say pressing up 100, distributing most of them word of mouth or on newsgroups and maybe a few on ebay.

Any help would be appreciated. Is this possible?

I bolded the magic words. It's not gonna happen.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    why would you want to do that in 2007?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Do it. Sounds like fun. I'll buy a copy if you only press 100.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    why would you want to do that in 2007?

Why wouldn't I want to do it?

No body else is doing it.
    To keep the dream alive.
    I'm a fan
    I know 100 people who are fans
    It would be fun

FunkyFlat - what about all the bootlegs that are being pressed now? Some plant is pressing them without much regard to any major label infringements. Again this would be a recording of a live show... so I don't think the label owns the performance.. the performance was before they were on Sony anyways.. I'd imagine the band, if anyone, owns the rights to the performance and broadcast/replay there of.
    Bootleg trading is alive and well.. it just seems rarer that it's on vinyl now.
    BTW, I have actually seen a boot of this band out there.

So now where are we? Where's the secret factory that will press whatever you give 'em?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    If you search the boards for old discussions about
    getting records pressed, there is always the question
    of who will press without needing samples cleared, and
    at least one that will press anything NQA is always mentioned.
    I don't remember whoit is, but a search should turn it up for you,
    or maybe someone will say it here.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    one place that asks no questions is....
    can't say any names, but they are R[/b]eally T[/b]otally I[/b]mpressive with their quality.

I have no idea how it would work with something like that. but if you ran a white label, pretty simple on the details, like maybe just the date and nothing else I am sure it would slip through.

You could always go to recordpressing.com. i doubt they care about anything.

• So now where are we? Where's the secret factory that will press whatever you give 'em?

don't even hesitate, especially considering how few you're planning to press. I did a boot about 6 months ago, if I remember correctly I used these folks:

Techlyn Record Pressing
    272 42nd St
    Brooklyn, NY 11232
    (718) 369-7606

honestly though, I bet a lot of people wouldn't steer away from a business venture- vinyl pressing isn't the big money maker it once was. give em the "it's my band excuse" if they ask, but they probably wont. don't tell em who sent you though...

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    thanks.. damn that was a quick turn-a-round on answers!

note: In the past I've tried to search SS for answers that I know have been asked before but it seems there is so much content it's hard to actually turn anything up.. which is too bad as I'm sure every record related question ever is there somewhere.

Yeah, I am talking with a friend about doing something like 100. One issue might end up being that the show wouldn't fit on one 12" and I doubt we want to spring for a double LP although gatefold would be fire (obviously). Maybe just edit out some space between songs. Probably get another friend to do some screen printing for jackets and maybe numbered would be a nice touch. While this band is somewhat popular now, I'd imagine 99% of the people in the world (or working at a pressing plant) would not recognize them at all from a live set.

Is 100 records going to cost more or less than $1000? Please say less...

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    What band is it?

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    What band is it?

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    PM me, I must not leave an electronic paper trail.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    and youre gonna sell them??

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    and youre gonna sell them??

What else would I do with them?!

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    What band is it?

as all bootleggers are wack motherfuckers the band is Modest Mouse. I hope your store goes out of biz.

Where's El_Mezcalito now???

peas

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    oh and let the shitstorm begin

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Yeah, that just happened?

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

that SO happened!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    There are more than enough "where can I press up some vinyl?" posts here, there, and under there. Do your research. Have a budget for it. Press up. Sell. It's not that difficult.